3.90 Gears

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I wanted 3.90's but the shop I went to would only guarantee no whine with Ford gears. So, I went with 4.10's. Am I glad I did! The 4.10 ratio is perfect for street and highway driving, IMO. With the stock gears I was always shifting and never seemed to be in the right gear. With the 4.10's I shift a lot less, believe it or not, and the rpm's feel just right for my type of driving. And second gear is a monster! The only negative I can see is if you go to the track. You may need one more shift to run 1/4 mi.

silvrbullit04

Established Member
so how many of you guys out there are running 4:10's? I wanted 4:10's and all the performance shops i talked to said to not do it because i would never hook up at the track or on the street. What do you think?

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I just picked up some Stange Engineering 3.90 gears at WFC and am installing them this coming weekend. I'll let you all know how they are after I do it.

95YellowGTBeast

LS7killr
Established Member
badboy said:
I wanted 3.90's but the shop I went to would only guarantee no whine with Ford gears. So, I went with 4.10's. Am I glad I did! The 4.10 ratio is perfect for street and highway driving, IMO. With the stock gears I was always shifting and never seemed to be in the right gear. With the 4.10's I shift a lot less, believe it or not, and the rpm's feel just right for my type of driving. And second gear is a monster! The only negative I can see is if you go to the track. You may need one more shift to run 1/4 mi.

You run out of gear in 4th gear???? and go into 5th?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
BANDIT HPT said:
I heard 3.90 gears tend to whine even if installed correctly. Is it true?

Mine are whining like crazy. They are coming out and being reset by another installer. He has 3.90 Motives in his 03 cobra, no noise, 2 years. If that don't work I am going to :xpl:

bender460

Established Member
Well silvrbullit04 They are half right. If you are stock I'd say go with 4:10's. but modded you will have to run slicks at the strip. And on the street with DR's good luck even hooking in second gear letolone first. My car with nitto's (315's)and the stock 3;55's will half of the time spin in third. Plus you do kinda have to start thinking about running out of gear some day at the strip. I am going with 3:90's this year.

Users who are viewing this thread