3:73's from an Explorer?

Mydirtytruck

The GT is waking up
Established Member
Well, i didnt look at them, but the 3:73's i had that a friend gave me are crap....all rusty and cannot be installed. Ive been looking on Ebay, and there are several people selling Ford 3:73's that came out of their Explorers. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to buy something like that, or just get some aftermarket ones?

neatofrito1618

Established Member
I'd just buy some new FRPP ones. It's better then trying to buy peoples used gears over the internet that could be chipped or somthing.

Last edited:

91hatch

Established Member
yea i mean theyll work but its hard to tell in what kind of condition there in until you get them. I guess if you go a really good deal on them itd be worth it but IMO just buy a new set

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I bought the 3.73's I had from a Ford Dealership. I worked there so I got an employee discount. I forgot how much they were though. I got them from an Expedition I think. If it's from an 8.8" rear, they'll work.

stellar591

BlackChrome Saleens FTMFW
Established Member
Used gears will work, but its a lot more difficult to get the backlash and pinion depth correct. The gears have already developed their own contact pattern and your going to have to cater to that. With a new set of gears as long as your measurements are right and the paint on your ring gear looks good, you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread