3.73 vs 4.10

05ArmyGT

Established Member
Ive been doing tons of research on gears..ive heard tons and tons of arguments, and most people have absolutely no actual research to back it up for example they trash 4.10s but have never had them?
im looking for some final decision makers here. if you have 4.10's give me pros and cons. and the same for 3.73's if anyone has had both then i would greatly appreciate the help in my decision

gmantheman

Established Member
I assume you have an 05. Is it an auto or manual? If it's a manual, I would get the 4.10s since the 05 man came standard with 3.55. 3.55 to 3.73 is not worth it. Now if you plan on going F/I then just keep the 3.55s. I have read that 4.10s would be okay if you with a centri type blower like vortech or paxton.
I have an 06 mustang gt with 4.10s. I drive the car nearly 60 miles per. day on the hwy and I have no complaints. Maybe the only complaint would be 1st gear is short but after a while you will not even notice it. At low speeds in parking lots I just drive in 2nd. Around town I usually just shift from 1st to 3rd.
Also don't worry too much about gas mileage. I think I only lost about 2-3 MPG on the hwy.

05ArmyGT

Established Member
correct assumption! haha and i drive a manual, ive heard tons about if its a manual do 4.10's and I really dont plan on doing FI i want to keep in N/A maybe nitrous setup. Im not too worried about gas either just dont want a 6mpg drop on the freeway or something you know?

05ArmyGT

Established Member
yeah i have tons of plans when i get back to home base haha

Gears
LT headers O/R X
FRPP Hot Rod Cams
BBK TB
Tuner
I have a CAI
probably gonna do SLP axlebacks
maybe nitrous should be one hell of a ride!
I believe 4.10s will really wake the car up.

gmantheman

Established Member
yeah i have tons of plans when i get back to home base haha

Gears
LT headers O/R X
FRPP Hot Rod Cams
BBK TB
Tuner
I have a CAI
probably gonna do SLP axlebacks
maybe nitrous should be one hell of a ride!
I believe 4.10s will really wake the car up.
I hope you are doing SLP pro-flos and not SLP LM. L/T, O/RX and SLP LM. A friend of mine had that set-up and it sounded like crap. He only ran it a few times and only at the track. With L/T and O/R X, SLP Pro-flos, borla stingers, magnapacks or any other straight thru design would sound good. In fact my friend's set-up is L/T, OR/X, FRPP Hot Rods and Magnapacks. The set-up sounds wicked.

almach

Established Member
Go 4:10's with or without FI! I run 4:10's in my GT/CS, you can't go wrong with 4:10's when you are NA!

05ArmyGT

Established Member
thanks for the feedback guys, looks like ill probably be doing 4.10's haha seems to be the general consensus of this forum!

and thanks again for the heads up gman

jasonpalamar

Established Member
I just sold my heads/cam 04 GTO and got an 05 GT myself. Def looking into the 4.10s myself. Car needs some pep.

Hoping not to lose more the 1-2MPG though since its a DD.

05ArmyGT

Established Member
congrats on the car!! and from what ive read if you do supporting mods "and a tune of course" as long as you drive conservatively you wont really see much of a loss..i mean a CAI, headers, ignition stuff anything that increases mpg sort of negates the gears. ive actually heard of people gaing mpg in the city with these losing maybe 1-2 on highway which is a risk im willing to take haha

Tompkins

Established Member
I am actually debating 3.73 or 4.10. The consensus has definitely been 4.10 but the main thing I'm worried about is the top speed for each gear being significantly lower. Can someone possibly tell me the top speed for each gear possibly for both 3.73 and 4.10? That would be extremely helpful!

05ArmyGT

Established Member
i dont know the exact match up, you do lose top end but it really isnt that much, if your really worried about top end then dont get 4.10's but since posting this I purchased 4.10 gears and im telling you it is absolutely amazing. I would pick 4.10 over 3.73 again and again, you pull good in every gear.

Tompkins

Established Member
Alright awesome. I'm probably going to go offroad x pipe, 4.10's and a dyno tune around the end of the month. Thanks for the help.

gmantheman

Established Member
Unless you are F/I, you don't really need a dyno tune. An email tune from American muscle/bama, breenspeed, vmp or any other reputable company will be just as good. I myself got a dyno tune because I have aftermarket cams and I thought I could get more out of a dyno tune than an email tune... I was wrong. At the dyno both my dyno tune and 91 race american muscle tune made the same hp/ same tq.

05ArmyGT

Established Member
AM and Bama do really well on email tunes! it is true though the only way youll really get any extra power on a dyno tune is if your FI or have some serious engine mods. then again its your ride! if you feel it needs the dyno or you just wanna see the numbers then let it rip but as far as time and money go, AM all the way.

Tompkins

Established Member
Yeah I guess that's true. The only reason I was going to get it dyno'd as well is because there's one at the shop where I would get the gears and x-pipe installed. I also have a friend that had his tuned there and said it was an awesome experience and did wonders for his car.

05ArmyGT

Established Member
well if its at the shop and they cut you a good deal, then its really up to preference!

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
I know i have a sn-95. But i went from 3.55's to 4.30's and my highway mileage didn't change. Got better actually, hitting 26 mgp

gmantheman

Established Member
The SN95 and S197 have different 5th gears. S197 has .675 and SN95 is .62, so a 4.30 in a SN95 is almost like a 4.10 in a S197. The rpm difference is only about 50 or so.

AMChrisRose

I'm a big fan of the 3.73's, but that's because I want comfortable street performance as much as possible. The best bet if you're looking to take better advantage of the performance at a track would be to go with the 4.10's. 4.10's aren't too bad on the street with the new 6-speed's, but on the 05-10 5-speeds, a 3.73 just feels a little better in my opinion.

Again, it's all subjective. Some people like one thing, others will have a completely different opinion. The Bama custom tuning team can set you up with the right throttle response/shifting to custom tailor the "feel" you're looking for no matter what set of gears you end up going with.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread