3.73 reason for gear whine theory

fmylife

Established Member
Funny you mention this because we just installed 3.73s in my '08 last Tuesday and they whine like a bitch.

Noticed the bearing race was a different shape and had a spacer with it in the stock housing than what came in the FRPP install kit. We ended up using the parts from the kit because hey, it's FRPP stuff, they know what they're doing, right?

Guess we'll find out because I'm getting a new spacer, race/cap and bearing that was originally installed and going to replace it this weekend. I'm really hoping that fixes it because it is beyond annoying. Took a trip this weekend that was just under 1k miles roundtrip and between 60-75mph, I just about blew up my speakers trying to drown out the whine!

snowball6405

Established Member
Ya i havent torn mine apart yet to compare. Im sure u could use frpp but u have to make sure the depth is exactly the same and centered in the axle. Hope u get it figured out. Did u do the gears or have someone else do them

fmylife

Established Member
Friend of mine is a master tech at our local Toyota dealer so we've done the majority of work on my car on his days off using his bay. He's done gears in so many cars that it really surprised him that backlash and pattern were spot on immediately yet it still whines. The only thing we noticed that was really different was the new race and bearing in the install kit compared to the factory pieces.

Definitely notice the extra pickup. It's made it much more fun around town and it even gets better mileage on the highway. I took a quick to Charlotte a couple months ago before the 3.73s and only got around 16ish while I spent most of the trip cruising at 75-80. A trip I took to Florida this weekend after the install and spending most of the time at 80-85 returned over 18. It's the highest mileage I've gotten from this car since I bought it in February lol!

snowball6405

Established Member
Haha nice. Ya i might try to just buy all parts from dealer and make sure all races and bearings etc match perfectly. Hope u get it. Ppl say the whine is normal or inevitable. I find that hard to believe. But who knows

00Whitey

Established Member
The GT500's come with a hi load pinion bearing and race, its different than the ones sold in the FRPP kit. I found the replacement at Rock Auto, could not find one locally even at the dealership. As for noise, I think the 3:73's are prone to be a bit noisy, but the install will def. have an impact here. They have to be set up correctly or you will hear them for sure.

nxhappy

Established Member
my 410s whine like a two timing whore LOL. Oh well....I'm not ****ing with it anymore.

fmylife

Established Member
Thankfully our local dealer has the cup/bearing and spacer in stock. I'm really hoping it works out that we can get this done on Saturday because my friend is leaving and that'll mean no more lift to use!!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The GT500's come with a hi load pinion bearing and race, its different than the ones sold in the FRPP kit. I found the replacement at Rock Auto, could not find one locally even at the dealership. As for noise, I think the 3:73's are prone to be a bit noisy, but the install will def. have an impact here. They have to be set up correctly or you will hear them for sure.

That's right, the one pinion bearing is different in the GT500 application from the normal 8.8 install bearing isn't it? The non-GT500 bearing/race will fit the housing, but it is not spec'ed for the GT500 application..........Is this right? It has been about 3 years since I last researched this...........

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Correct. U want to use exact bearings and races. If u dont pinion depth will change and u need to shim accordingly

So what if a person buys a new set of gears (or tries to re-install a used set), and a complete regular bearing and seal set for an 8.8, installs it all in their GT500 8.8 and then starts hammering a non-Hi Load pinion bearing with 500, 600 or 700+ HP?

R

Last edited:

fmylife

Established Member
Ok, so my friend did a bit more research and is saying that the larger cup/race and bearing in the FRPP install kit is the high load set versus the factory smaller pair that require a spacer.

Ugh.... Either way, we're gonna pull the cover and check the pattern and backlash to make sure everything is good then refill with Lucas gear oil.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Yes, it looks like the FRPP M-4210-B2 has the correct pinion bearings for the GT500.

Before this B2 kit, the B1 was correct, it listed 2007-2011 GT500, but the B2 kit has a changed pinion bearing for the 2012 GT500............interesting........

R

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Mine were done a few months ago....zero whine now after 3 different gear installers and installs.

fmylife

Established Member
Might know why mine are whining and not bearing related...

The kit I got from Late Model Resto included 2 quarts of Royal Purple gear oil. Obviously that wasn't enough so my friend used some of the gear oil from his shop. He didn't realize until last night that he used the wrong one....what he put in was something like 0w-20 that they put in the differentials of the Toyotas and not the heavier 75w-140 that my car came with :lol:

I'm really hoping that is the only reason mine is whining but I'll find out tomorrow when we replace that water with some Lucas gear oil.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Might know why mine are whining and not bearing related...

The kit I got from Late Model Resto included 2 quarts of Royal Purple gear oil. Obviously that wasn't enough so my friend used some of the gear oil from his shop. He didn't realize until last night that he used the wrong one....what he put in was something like 0w-20 that they put in the differentials of the Toyotas and not the heavier 75w-140 that my car came with :lol:

I'm really hoping that is the only reason mine is whining but I'll find out tomorrow when we replace that water with some Lucas gear oil.

Good luck, I hope that it is only a gear oil issue.

R

Users who are viewing this thread