3.73 or 3.31

Wade_Racer

Established Member
OK guys I have owned 3 Terminators... The time had come to get something newer. I have looked at a few new and slightly used 13/14 5.0's 6 speed cars.
This car will a weekend warrior and some strip time not but not extensive. so 3.73's or 3.31's I drove a 3.73 car last night and loved it. Seems like i hit redline so fast.what is your guys opinions???

N20D5OH

Established Member
OK guys I have owned 3 Terminators... The time had come to get something newer. I have looked at a few new and slightly used 13/14 5.0's 6 speed cars.
This car will a weekend warrior and some strip time not but not extensive. so 3.73's or 3.31's I drove a 3.73 car last night and loved it. Seems like i hit redline so fast.what is your guys opinions???

I love my 3.31's. And this is coming from a guy that never ran anything less than 4.10's in my old 5.0's and 4.56's in my mod cars. This transmissions gearing is awesome. You're going to love it either way though.

Grabber2012

Established Member
I 2nd that I love my 3.31s and don't want to shift into 5th in the 1/4, the way these cars run on the back half of the track these gears are great. And there a wonder on the street the way people like to roll race and highway race 4th gear is a beast!

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I went from 331 to 373. Honestly the 331s were not a bad gear coupled with the 6 speed trans, great for highway runs. I can't complain about the 373, they are great for around town, car's more responsive.

N20D5OH

Established Member
And just so you're aware. The A6 > M6. At least that's what a bunch are going to try to come in here and convince you of. Some just don't understand there are those of us that like to row gears.

Wade_Racer

Established Member
Yea ZERO chance that I buy an Automatic!!!!!!!! Sounds like 3.31 are preferred BTW my local drag strip is only 1/8th mile :-(

Grabber2012

Established Member
And just so you're aware. The A6 > M6. At least that's what a bunch are going to try to come in here and convince you of. Some just don't understand there are those of us that like to row gears.

Yes this! A friend of mine loves his A6 at the track but he said it's boring as hell to drive back and forth to work everyday.

Last edited:

N20D5OH

Established Member
Yea ZERO chance that I buy an Automatic!!!!!!!! Sounds like 3.31 are preferred BTW my local drag strip is only 1/8th mile :-(

That might change things for me. As stated above, you'll be shifting into 5th eventually with 3.73's if you ran 1/4 mile.

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
Stock intake manifold 3.31s or 3.55's. Boss/cobra jet intake 3.73's or 3.90's.

That's just my opinion , the stock intake with 3.31's is a lot of fun. Redline comes up quick, I think 3.73's would be to much.

5.0jake

Established Member

Funny that's what I said when I bought my 12' brembo. I now have a 14' auto.

Yes this! A friend of mine loves his A6 at the track but he said it's boring as hell to drive back and forth to work everyday.
I love driving manual and this is my first auto primary car. I have not been bored at all with the auto during my daily 60 mile commute.

The only way I would consider the MT-82 is with the Boss personally.

To answer the original question,
Having had 3.31's and 3.73's I'd recommend going with the 3.31's. When I switched to 3.73's the most noticeable differences were less traction, more wheel hop and more shifting. I actually ended up missing having the 3.31's especially once I started modding.

Last edited:

helli217

Established Member
I have 3.73's in my GT/CS. Even with the stock motor/tune it's alot of gear. It's fun for sure because it blasts through gears but as stated I'm sure when I get my tune/bolt-ons I'm gonna start looking for a 3.55 or 3.31 change. I'm going to wait for nwo because I may end up going BOSS mani. If so I may stay 3.73.

hoodley

Established Member
well for 1/8 mile 3.73 may be better. that kinda changes things there. I guess it depends on much you will mod it.

scott_0

Established Member
you fact you have to go into 5th when running the 1/4 with 373's would make me not go with them, and I don't even go to the track lol

N20D5OH

Established Member
Like someone else mentioned, wheel hop. I have zero. My buddy asked me about it and said his was horrible, it's track pack car with 3.73 gears.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Stock intake manifold 3.31s or 3.55's. Boss/cobra jet intake 3.73's or 3.90's.

That's just my opinion , the stock intake with 3.31's is a lot of fun. Redline comes up quick, I think 3.73's would be to much.
There are actually a few people running 3.31s with the Boss and CJ IM so they can stick to 3rd gear through the traps.

Grabber2012

Established Member
Like someone else mentioned, wheel hop. I have zero. My buddy asked me about it and said his was horrible, it's track pack car with 3.73 gears.

I didn't notice I had wheel hop so bad with my 3.31s till I went to the track and slammed 2nd so hard I thought the rearend was gonna come out from under the car! Got LCAs and haven't been back but on the street there is no hop now and I can control it better since it usually spins straight most of the time!

N20D5OH

Established Member
I didn't notice I had wheel hop so bad with my 3.31s till I went to the track and slammed 2nd so hard I thought the rearend was gonna come out from under the car! Got LCAs and haven't been back but on the street there is no hop now and I can control it better since it usually spins straight most of the time!

Weird. I have zero, even with my big drag radials now.

Spoolingbyu

Established Member
Weird. I have zero, even with my big drag radials now.
You have zero because of the radials. You just hook and go If I don't completely blow the tires off my car it just wheel hops like crazy.

2011 GT vs 2013 GT - YouTube I rolled into wheel hop at about 60 at the 10 second mark. You can see the camera shaking. It was violent in the car. Also I got locked out of gear and had to end the race.

2011 GT vs 2013 GT - YouTube Same car a few moments later. Blew the tires off this time with no wheel hop at the 14 second mark. No chance at coming back from that.

Users who are viewing this thread