3.5L EB experts step in please

Coiled03

Established Member
I'm wondering if someone can tell me what the "normal" operating temperature is for a 3.5L EB in a 2018 Screw 4x4. A little background....

I leased my truck in 2018 and for the first 3 years or so everything was fine. I didn't have the temperature display turned on in the dash and never knew what the actual temp was beyond the idiot gauge being in the center. One day, I was driving home on a long road trip into about a 25 - 30mph headwind. For the first time, I saw the temp gauge flash on when the temp went over 230. It would flash, then go away when the temp went back down. 6mo or so later I had the coolant flushed and replaced because it seemed like a good idea. The dealer put in the newest Ford/Motorcraft ELC.

Ever since that coolant flush, I turned on the actual temp display and the truck regularly tops 230 degrees just driving down the highway under normal conditions. The fan seems to constantly be on high speed. All this in the middle of the winter in the midwest. Furthermore, I literally NEVER tow anything. I can't imagine how hot it would be if I actually tried that. How could anyone expect to tow with this thing if the cooling system seems maxed out under perfectly benign conditions?

I guess what I'm asking is, is 230 a normal temperature for these engines? If not, what should I expect it to be?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
No, that’s high. The only reason it shows up is to tell you it’s high.

1) if your truck has active grille shutters I’d make sure they’re opening and closing properly
2) I’d make sure both fans are running
3) I’ve seen all kinds of posts on f150 boards where doing anything with the cooling system can cause the thermostat to go wonky. It might be worthwhile to replace it on GP but ONLY with a ford/motorcraft thermostat - the new bypass design is different and aftermarket thermostats just don’t work correctly

Coiled03

Established Member
Yes, it's a forscan thing. You can find it in the spreadsheet.

Users who are viewing this thread