3.4l Ftw

saleen09

Slow A$$ Kenne Bell Cobra
Established Member
In response to your above smugness towards the other SHO owners :

1. You had NO gas in your car. Nothing like starving the fuel pump under acceleration....
2. You may have a V-8 but 8 out of 10 people will tell you the earlier SHO's look much better than the newer SHO's...
3. Horsepower difference with you greater displacement and 2 extra cylinders? Like 35? Not to much to brag about considering your car is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier

Otherwise, decent sounding SHO.... :)

gomach1

5.0hh
Established Member
saleen09 said:

1. You had NO gas in your car. Nothing like starving the fuel pump under acceleration....
2. You may have a V-8 but 8 out of 10 people will tell you the earlier SHO's look much better than the newer SHO's...
3. Horsepower difference with you greater displacement and 2 extra cylinders? Like 35? Not to much to brag about considering your car is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier

Couldnt have said it better. The only thing good about the late model SHO is their exhuast sound, otherwise notta

Slushi

Established Member
i'm only bragging about the sound of my car, i was at half throttle and my car i know for a fact is slower than the 3.0's - i'm not denying it, but a V6 SHO will never sound like a V8 so while i'm heavier and slower than the MTX SHO I will sound better :)

BTW i am looking for a V6 MTX as a DD so it's not like i think the older, TRUE yamaha's are crap, i was posting this as more or less of a joke.....

You may have a V-8 but 8 out of 10 people will tell you the earlier SHO's look much better than the newer SHO's...

9 out of 10 people will tell you that ANY taurus looks retarded, regardless of the year - but that doesn't make it true.

i like the looks of Gen I's and II's, i dont think III's are better but I don't prefer any generation over any other - I simply believe the Taurus in general is better looking than the Lumina, Impala, Intrepid, Stratus, Camry, Avalon, Accord, and Altima (new ones and the Maxima's are pretty good looking though....)

Last edited:

SHOspazz92

Established Member
First of All, The V8 SHO only has 15 More horsepower then the V8's.

And to whoever said that they were much more Heavy, You are wrong.

A Generation 3 SHO is a Great Comparison to a Generation II Automatic SHO. I myself would rather have a Gen 3 over a Gen 2 ATX. However I would take a MTX over both of them.

-Sam

Slushi

Established Member
v8 is 57 pounds lighter :thumbsup:

as much as i like the SHO V6 series, I don't think the duratec series is a bad line of engines, and if the AX4N wasn't such a piece of junk the V8 may have made more power. V6 guys should understand this with all the issues the V6 has on the AXOD.

But to be honest I really don't think a taurus is worthy of the V6 SHO, it should have gone into the Thunderbird or Cougar or something more performance oriented where it could really be appreciated by a larger group of people. It's not the Taurus itself is lame or stupid, but look at the approach of all the other companies when making a performance sedan, ford was the only one that used a totally custom and original engine. Dodge and Chevy both used F/I vehicles, i think a 2.2L Turbo or 2.3L turbo or heck even a 3.8L Supercharged would have been a better choice, and then put that SHO in the GT-40 (twin turbo'd of course!)

Last edited:

gomach1

5.0hh
Established Member
Slushi said:
But to be honest I really don't think a taurus is worthy of the V6 SHO, it should have gone into the Thunderbird or Cougar or something more performance oriented where it could really be appreciated by a larger group of people. It's not the Taurus itself is lame or stupid, but look at the approach of all the other companies when making a performance sedan, ford was the only one that used a totally custom and original engine. Dodge and Chevy both used F/I vehicles, i think a 2.2L Turbo or 2.3L turbo or heck even a 3.8L Supercharged would have been a better choice, and then put that SHO in the GT-40 (twin turbo'd of course!)

Your bashing the SHOs heritage bro,
The SHO was the first performance sedan made, made over 15 years ago and it can still hang with many of the performance cars/sedans today.

the cool thing about it is that no one knows what it is esp. when you blow them out of the water. lot of people think its a taurus that has a body package, but its alot more

nik96

Established Member
Meh, sounds OK. Better at full throttle tho.

My old '97

Intake sound...
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=664373718

Exhaust sound...
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=664432730

And gettin' rowdy :)...
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=683211214

It was a fat automatic but it still clicked off 14.8 at 1200ft alt. I think it was one of the best looking of most SHO's Iv'e seen. Of course, I'm a bit bias;-)
P1010484.jpg

P1010283_4.jpg

nik96

Established Member
The V6 doen't sound nearly as good but it sure as hell is quicker and more fun to drive...

th_100_0635.jpg

th_100_0636.jpg

Slushi

Established Member
Your bashing the SHOs heritage bro,
The SHO was the first performance sedan made, made over 15 years ago and it can still hang with many of the performance cars/sedans today.

the cool thing about it is that no one knows what it is esp. when you blow them out of the water. lot of people think its a taurus that has a body package, but its alot more

i'm not bashing anything, i said that they could have gotten the same effect with a much simpler engine, and reserved the SHO engine for a vehicle actually worthy of it. A supercharged SHO engine in a Super Coupe would have been awesome, or an SHO edition Probe or something along those lines.

i know what a SHO is, I own one. the SHO has very minimal body differences compared to a taurus, which is why it's amazing because nobody knows it's an SHO they just think it's a regular taurus. I'd much rather have my engine in a Cougar or Thunderbird though - or something where it can be used to full potential (preferably RWD and manual), and leave the 3.0 vulcan in my taurus as a daily driver.

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
saleen09 said:

The difference in the torque made a large difference in acceleration, regardless of the slight increase in horsepower.

I personally prefer the the last generation SHO body style, and so did Ford in NASCAR. I don't think the first generation Taurus body style was ever used.

As far as not much to brag about. Check with any shop that works on the SHO and they'll tell you that the brakes, body structure, and handling were also better.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
wheelhopper said:
I personally prefer the the last generation SHO body style, and so did Ford in NASCAR. I don't think the first generation Taurus body style was ever used.

As far as not much to brag about. Check with any shop that works on the SHO and they'll tell you that the brakes, body structure, and handling were also better.
Ford/NASCAR ran out of options for bodies to use as the TBird was killed in 97. Since Chevy was running the Monte Carlo / Lumina, Ford decided the Gen III Taurus would give them an advatage in aerodynamics. I don't think it had anything to do with the SHO.

I hope any shop, or anyone that knows anything about the Taurus platform says the Gen III Taurus had better brakes, etc...since it was a new platform. If you take a step backwards that's just stupid.

wheelhopper

Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
Ford/NASCAR ran out of options for bodies to use as the TBird was killed in 97. Since Chevy was running the Monte Carlo / Lumina, Ford decided the Gen III Taurus would give them an advatage in aerodynamics. I don't think it had anything to do with the SHO.

I hope any shop, or anyone that knows anything about the Taurus platform says the Gen III Taurus had better brakes, etc...since it was a new platform. If you take a step backwards that's just stupid.

My point was that Ford had the option of using the first generation Taurus body style for NASCAR, and did'nt. I never said it had anything to do with the SHO. Ford did use the last generation of body style for NASCAR, because it was a better design aerodynamically than the first. You answered this yourself.

My response to the better brakes, chassis, and suspension was due to the earlier post stating that other than a V8, the last generation SHO had nothing to brag about. It was'nt me that did not get the new technology/improvements.

I'm not sure whether your agreeing with me or disagreeing with me on this.

Users who are viewing this thread