3.1&6lbs or 2.93&4lbs?

gunslinger

Established Member
going with stieg stage 3 ,bap,60lbs inj.,mafia, catted mid,cb already have fipk. what is the better combo? do ineed an aux idler with any of those combos? am i better off putting a pa 130 amp alt. instead of a 3.2 alt. pulley for any of those combos? thanks for info.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Bigger upper, bigger lower I always say. If you go with the 6 lb lower, you need a bigger alt pulley weather you replace the alt or not.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
JMD0346 said:
Is it worth me swaping my 4lb for the 6lb sam? Im just affraid Im pushing it too hard with the 6. Tell me what you think.

Michael
I would get back on the dyno and let your car tell you. If you put the 6 lb on, and you are still making the same peak hp and in the same rpm range, then leave it on because you'll love the extra power under the curve you are making. Every car seems to react a little differently though. I must admit though, for me, the 6 lb lower is my favorite to work around...

gunslinger

Established Member
how much boost is 3.1/6? i dont want to push it too hard ,i like to go on long drives will this combo be ok without overheating i live in vegas summer is fn hot!do i need an aux. idler with that?thanks for info

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
gunslinger said:
how much boost is 3.1/6? i dont want to push it too hard ,i like to go on long drives will this combo be ok without overheating i live in vegas summer is fn hot!do i need an aux. idler with that?thanks for info
Should be ok with cooling mods, your not boosting all the time so heat shouldnt be an issue for long drives.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
3.1/6lb setup here and i love it!
daily driven with no issues
the tq is unreal...and i'm not even ported

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
gunslinger said:
This should get you a little over 16 lbs of boost. You should not ned an auxiliary idler with a 3.10 upper pulley and you shouldn't need to worry about overheating if you get a good heat exchanger, which you should do anyway.

You're going to get a little more belt wrap with the 3.10 upper vs. the 2.93 upper, but you will need to change to a 3.20" alternator pulley with the 6 lb lower which will very slightly underdrive your alternator. With a 4 lb lower, you should probably stay with the stock alternator pulley (2.60") even though you'll overdrive it by about 13%. This is better than the 8% underdrive effect you'll get with the 4 lb lower and 3.20 alternator pulley. All this make sense? Confuses the piss out of me sometimes......

Rick@Amazon

SVT God
Established Member
The 3.10 and 6lb lower is an excellent choice and will really make your ported blower come alive. Remember it's all about the ratio and how fast you spin the blower up without belt slippage. You'll spin the blower up faster, extend and make the torque band broader. As far as the alternator pulley I don't use them. The one thing you don't want to do on these cars is underdrive your alternator. You want no voltage drops and a fully charge battery all the time. :beer:

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread