2v to 4v swap just a few questions....

MJP03GT

Established Member
Hi guys have a built 05 aviator block and 9 thread heads that are about to go in the old 03 gt. I'm aware of all the changes typically needed to be made to the engine harness to allow the GT harness and computer to run the supercharged 4v. I'm just wondering if I can use my stock GT coil on plugs with the 4v motor? My 4v stuff didn't come with any coils, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Was hoping I might could just extend my harness, NOT flip the polarity and just reuse my low mileage gt cops. Anyways thanks for any help.

RichM1983

Established Member
They are different. The 2V COP has a kick out for a bolt to hold it down and the rubber tube that extends into the head to reach the plug has a crook in it. The 4V COP doesn't bolt down and the rubber tube that extends into the head to reach the plug is straight. Due to the kickout for the bolt hole I don't see it fitted in the 4V cam cover.

MJP03GT

Established Member
Thanks Rich that was kinda what I was figuring..... Oh well off to find a set of coils I guess! I'll have to look though, bolt hole kick outs could always be ground away I guess as long as you don't get into the electrical components or electrical sealant used on top of the coil (have a machine shop @ work) Would one of you guys be so kind as to measure the length of one of your coil on plugs? From top to end of boot? Many thanks

01yellercobra

Established Member
It's not just the kick out for the bolt. The whole COP is different. Whatever you do, stick with stock COPs.

MJP03GT

Established Member
Yea I've heard nothing but bad things about the aftermarket coils. Pretty much they just fail all the time.

RichM1983

Established Member
You can get a set of new 4V coils on ebay for a fair price. Check the market too. I'll bet you could buy a set for around 100 and probably sell the GT set for around 50.

mkb116

Established Member
I got a set here that look brand new from a 13 gt500 with 4000 miles for like $150 shipped. And they are fords newest revision. Definitely get an OE set!

hotcobra03

Established Member
Ford racing sold a set of 8..

Not sure if they are still available. .list was 299 sold for 215 thru autonation..

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Piggybacking on the swap thread. Can a non COP motor be converted to COP with a swap of the cam covers and the related ignition wiring?

Also, will the 2V ECU run the 4V knock sensors or will they be disabled?

Users who are viewing this thread