2V guy turned 4V Looking for some ideas, etc.

HIGDON

Keeping The Red In
Established Member
Well I sold my high sprung 2V and am looking at a Term. coupe to play with. The thing is with all my focus on 2V performance I never got too deep into the 4V stuff so I have a few questions and would like to hear some general concensus about some things. I've searched around a bit to get a decent idea, but it seems there are a million ways of doing things, help me narrow this down.

I can't decide if I want to shoot for 500 or 600hp first. I know people hate number chasers, bu I like it. Key thing is the blower itself. I've seen 500 HP eatons and it looks relatively cheap to do this, but I know I'm going to want more, it's a tough call. I had a buddy with a 606rwhp KB car, but I see all these whipples out there.

Why do you guys with whipples go with the whipple? was it cost? The KB kit looks pretty complete.

Also cooling mods: I had the "Ford" mod on my GT but it seems there a few to choose from here. Has anyone noticed a benefit of the Evenflow over the others?

My main concern is longevity. My GT was wound tight and that damn thing was even built for it but seemed on the brink of destruction every day. I want to feel good about my power here. I know who to go to for my shortblock, etc, I'm looking at reliabilty for 500 and 600hp levels, what are the tricks/tips there?

And finally, I have numerous places to go for 2V performance talk and parts, but I'm not keen on the big time Terminator shops or boards out there, mostly term. specific parts and packages, tuners, etc. Murillo tuned my last car but I think I'm going with Tim @ MPH this time, we'll see. Any help you guys can throw me would be awesome. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these little monsters.

Last edited:

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Hmmm...let's see if I can hit a few of these for you.

500rwhp on the eaton is not difficult. However, you'll want more. But with any increase in horsepower comes the rest of the issues. To even top the 500rwhp mark & do it RIGHT, you will need a lot of supporting mods. 60#'ers, appropriate fuel system (personally not a fan of the boost-a-pump, I'd go twin gt pumps so you have room to grow later), clutch/flywheel, 26 spline input shaft, built irs (or all you'll have is a high hp pogo-stick), sticky tires, & COOLING MODS!!! You touched on them a bit. The reason we need cooling in our engines is because of a tendency for coolant to pool near the #7 & #8 cylinders due to a lack of a return passageway. This coolant become super-heated & 9 times out of 10, those cylinders are the ones that give up the ghost first. The head cooling mods such as LDC or evenflow are both good, both achieve the same thing, but are just routed differently. One dumps into the heater core & the other T's into the upper radiator line (iirc). Can you get by on less? Yes. And that's what you'll be doing...just getting by. Considering the cost of a shortblock rebuild for these cars, only a fool skimps on the supporting cast members of the show.

In terms of reliability, using good quality parts and having a spot-on tune are the keys to success. You generally get what you pay & cheap usually = crap.

I personally will buy a whipple when I get the rest of the show together because I have tried calling KB no less than 20 times dating back to ~04 when I had my namesake 01 GT & wanted to KB it. To date, I have never had anyone pick up the phone at their shop. They make a quality product which makes great power, but goddammit if they want me to send $4K to their door, the least they could do would be to answer the fcking phone. Because of that, whipple will get my business when the time comes.

For info, the search button on the terminator forum of this site will prove invaluable to you. If it can be done to a terminator, somebody here has discussed it & probably done it.

Users who are viewing this thread