2nd Offense Ticket

brad7131

The Spocker!
Established Member
A few weeks ago I received a ticket for going 58mph in a 40mph zone and improper passing. Basically, there was a truck in front of me doing 10mph under the speed limit and I was in a bit of a hurry and I passed the truck in a double yellow. It's a long straight road and the only other vehicles on the road were two cars coming towards us that were atleast a 1/4 mile up the road, one of which was a police officer.

The question is, is it possible for me to somehow keep these points off of my record? I also received a ticket in June for 80mph in a 65mph zone, so I'm sure this isn't going to help matters.

I have a court date setup so that I can speak to the prosecuting attorney or whatever is necessary. I would like to get this taken care of as soon as possible, because I'm planning on joining the Air Force soon, and I can't enlist until this court case is closed, from what I understand.

Thanks guys.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
A few weeks ago I received a ticket for going 58mph in a 40mph zone and improper passing. Basically, there was a truck in front of me doing 10mph under the speed limit and I was in a bit of a hurry and I passed the truck in a double yellow. It's a long straight road and the only other vehicles on the road were two cars coming towards us that were atleast a 1/4 mile up the road, one of which was a police officer.

The question is, is it possible for me to somehow keep these points off of my record? I also received a ticket in June for 80mph in a 65mph zone, so I'm sure this isn't going to help matters.

I have a court date setup so that I can speak to the prosecuting attorney or whatever is necessary. I would like to get this taken care of as soon as possible, because I'm planning on joining the Air Force soon, and I can't enlist until this court case is closed, from what I understand.

Thanks guys.

Wow because you passed on a double yellow you are guilty my man no matter what you do. I would suggest getting representation if you can BUT because you passed someone illegally in front of the officer that will be tough.

YellowShaker03

I Am Black Jesus
Established Member
Like others said your pretty screwed.

If I was in your shoes I would talk to a attorney and explain to him what happened and ask him for his opinion(s) I'd go to court and take full blame, and tell the judge you know it was stupid.
I'd be careful picking words- yes you probably did pick a safe time to pass on the double yellow- but it was still double yellow and still illegal.
In short confess to messing up and ask if you can't catch a break (or hope they cut you some slack). Good luck!

brad7131

The Spocker!
Established Member
I know there is no way that I can challenge the improper passing, but I figured there was some way that I might be able to get out of the speeding, since the officer would have had to radar me through the car that was in front of him. Is that even possible?

YellowShaker03

I Am Black Jesus
Established Member
Yep. As crazy as it sounds he could have very well hit you with radar. Also cops can issue a ticket on 'visual speeding' meaning if they see you speeding (but don't radar you) they can give you a ticket. Sounds like complete bs but visually you can tell the difference between 55-60 and 40mph. I'm sure he's driven that road enough to know what speeding looks like.

Not trying to bust your balls or anything but your kinda SOL. I would bring up that the truck you passed was going 10mph or so BELOW (emphasize that) the speed limit. No that doesn't make the double yellow passing acceptable but it doesn't make you seem like a wreck-less driver.

brad7131

The Spocker!
Established Member
I guess that's relatively plausible that he could see that I was speeding, but he was coming towards me, and it was almost 11pm on a road with no street lights. I'm just gonna talk to the prosecuting attorney next week and see what they say, I guess.

snakeconvert98

Established Member
I know there is no way that I can challenge the improper passing, but I figured there was some way that I might be able to get out of the speeding, since the officer would have had to radar me through the car that was in front of him. Is that even possible?

Leave earlier,,no need to be in a hurry,, then problem solved ! (for next time anyway)

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
You're pretty much ****ed. You might be able to do something about the speeding, but you clearly broke the no passing law.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
please tell me how he clocked you if he was moving towards you?

They have new radars now that can clock while moving :dw: Ya I found that out the hard way awhile back. He showed me the radar gun and everything :nonono: That used to be a State Trooper thing but it is all over now.

Stephen4036

Established Member
damn 1 year ago I got 115 in a 65.. lawyer got me no points :lol: but I got a 1,033.00 fine...!

now i got a 76 in a 40 court date on 8/2/10.. ****

brad7131

The Spocker!
Established Member
They have new radars now that can clock while moving :dw: Ya I found that out the hard way awhile back. He showed me the radar gun and everything :nonono: That used to be a State Trooper thing but it is all over now.

All of the police cruisers around here have radars on the front and rear of their vehicles, I think.

I have no problem paying for the $140 improper passing ticket, or the speeding ticket for that matter, I just don't want the points going onto my record if I can help it.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
you could tell them that the truck was moving slow and dropping debris off the back that was hitting your car and creating a safety hazard. You passed to get out of that situation and to alert the driver of the vehicle that he was spilling debris from his truck. I dont know

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
A few weeks ago I received a ticket for going 58mph in a 40mph zone and improper passing. Basically, there was a truck in front of me doing 10mph under the speed limit and I was in a bit of a hurry and I passed the truck in a double yellow.

you could tell them that the truck was moving slow and dropping debris off the back that was hitting your car and creating a safety hazard. You passed to get out of that situation and to alert the driver of the vehicle that he was spilling debris from his truck. I dont know

So, you are suggesting the OP lie to the judge? Great plan :rolleyes:

Do everyone a favor and either post constructively or not at all.

aquill1

Established Member
I'd talk to an attorney as well, with a recent ticket I doubt the judge will side with you at all.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member

Because... It isn't about honesty anymore...:shrug:

Gray Ghost GT

Established Member
One of the reasons why I got into HPDE (road course racing) so you can enjoy your high horsepower car on a professional track vs. illegally on the street. Go to Summit Point and VIR! It's not worth going to jail, getting your license suspended, placing your security clearance or career at risk, and/or paying very high fines.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread