2nd Gear Notchiness

CV355

_
Established Member
Ever since I got my GT500 in 2016, 2nd gear has been notchy. It feels like it has to "click in" one or two times before fully engaging. There is no audible grind or anything, and I do not beat on the car whatsoever. It was noticeable with the stock shifter, and there is now an MGW 2.0 in the car.

I went for a decent drive today and 2nd gear just continually pissed me off. 1-2 or 3-2, there's a 50% chance it's a smooth, normal shift or a 50% chance that it's notchy and "chunky." Real technical terms here. It's only crappy under low load, gets better as the trans warms up (horrible when cold). Moderate throttle and up, it's smooth as butter. 3k rpm and up, smooth as butter. But normal driving, I almost want to skip the damn gear sometimes. Every other gear is perfect, especially with the MGW.

I've read about 2nd gear grind in pre-2012 T6060s being due to synchro coating/materials, but I have never experienced grinding with this car and don't think it's a related issue.

Any ideas? It's the one thing keeping the car from being absolutely perfect at the moment.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Have you changed the fluid yet?
I didn’t feel my 2nd gear was bad but simply swapping to Amsoil ATF made a noticible improvement.
If you’ve done synthetic ATC and the MGW I’d assume you’d had some wear on the 2nd gear synchro.
Not much else you can do at that point.
-J

CV355

_
Established Member
Have you changed the fluid yet?
I didn’t feel my 2nd gear was bad but simply swapping to Amsoil ATF made a noticible improvement.
If you’ve done synthetic ATC and the MGW I’d assume you’d had some wear on the 2nd gear synchro.
Not much else you can do at that point.
-J

Stock fluid. I was hoping it'd be something simple like that.

My shifter feels clunky too until the transmission warms up. I have the stock fluid and need to upgrade it. Here are a couple of threads discussing it:

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/mobil-1-atf-in-6spd-shifts-like-butter.1156514/

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/tranmission-fluid-change.1152956/#post-15787294

So it's not a unique problem to my car- more like a general T6060 "live with it or change it" issue.. That makes me feel better about it. Just surprised that someone could sign off on a design like that.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Trans fluid makes a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Mine 14 does the same. Stock shifter but I did put Mobil 1 synthetic in at about 1,000 miles. The Mobile 1 did improve the shifting. I am now at 10,000 miles. Mine is exactly as OP described when cold. Once warmed up, it is fine. It started at about 5,000 miles. I just hope it doesn't get worse.

Tom

Drewsky65

Established Member
Mine did it to. Only first to second shifts, and it would sometimes feel as if it wasn’t fully in gear and was afraid to lift up on clutch pedal. 3-4 times in a years time I had a very slight grind from it. I think it was the shorter and not the trans tho. Stock shifter felt spongy as if there was soft rubber on the bushings. (Which there is)

Streetpwr281

Established Member
Mobil 1 ATF made a noticeable difference in my tranny feel. After ~ 5,000 miles still nice and smooth shifts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread