2nd gear not working

mustang_guy

Established Member
Hey guys, I was just lighting up at the track. At the burnout box I went into second gear, cleaned the tires then rolled up to do my brownout. I revved it to 3000rmp and dumped the clutch and right away it was like the car was in neutral. No noise, no grind, no oil leaking.

What's happening now is every gear is working totally fine, clutch it good but when I put it onto 2nd and let go of the clutch it's still like I'm in neutral.
I tried putting it into 2nd gear without the clutch and its not letting it through the gate but the car is rolling a little but when I try to push it into 2nd without the clutch.
Any idea on what might be going on?

bobbyj

Established Member
watch out for the "you dont know how to drive" comments

i know quite a few people that have lost second gear in their 5.0. I am one of them, but i was at least able to get it into second gear :/ I hope its nothing serious for you. goodluck

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I know there are plenty of guys running Paxton's on the stock clutch, whats weird is that if it broke there would be noise.. If your second acts like neutral all the time i'd say its broke! Only thing you can do is pull it out and take a look!

mustang_guy

Established Member
Well, I just took the shifter cover and insulation off and when the cars on second gear with the clutch out I can hear a very very quiet ticking coming from the shifter area.
Again, when I try forcing the shifter into 2nd gear without the clutch the car rolls a tiny bit

Last edited:

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Might be a broke shifting fork.

If it is, its not a expensive fix if you do the work yourself.

Drain the trans, if theres alot of metal, then you broke the teeth on second.

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
If your gonna pull it yourself might be a good time replace the stock clutch with something designed to handle the extra power!

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
sucks op. this is the main reason that stick shift cars need to be properly launch instead of side stepping the clutch. im still a bit puzzled though on how the shift fork can just break from just launching.

Users who are viewing this thread