2nd gear lock out under power?

watman02

Established Member
ok guys just got back from the track and was leaving off my 2 step at 2900 and 9psi. car hooked great and left hard!!!! but for the life of me i couldnt get 2nd to go in??? i even have a WOT Box (no lift shift box that cuts the coil power when the clutch is depressed) i have a t56 in may camaro and have heard of ppl having this problem with high HP on those transmissions. does any one else have this prob???? if i free rev and leave at like 4K or 5k off the 2step 2nd gear is fine???? any thoughts mods are in sig. but was running 15* timing on these runs as i had 112 octane in tank.

DJAMiller

Established Member
I could be wrong but I heard that's the result of the stock clutch setup, apparently the stock linkages flex and sometimes lead to the clutch not fully disengaging. Apparently the upgraded setup from MM will fix the problem.

watman02

Established Member
I am on stock clutch and stock cable and quadrant. Maybe I'll get a adjustable one.

01svtdude

what is traction
Established Member
Pull up on the clutch cable to readjust. My t56 magnum does the same thing. It's cause is clutch engagement. I have adjustable cable firewall and quadrant kit. I have to mess with it every other week.

watman02

Established Member
Pull up on the clutch cable to readjust. My t56 magnum does the same thing. It's cause is clutch engagement. I have adjustable cable firewall and quadrant kit. I have to mess with it every other week.

What type of clutch do u have?

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Get rid of the stock nylon plastic stuff. A new quadrant and adjuster should do you fine. Stick with the stock cable though. Unless something has changed in the last couple years the stock cable is your best bet.

If you still have the stock shifter ditch that too.

LGHTNG02GT

Established Member
Get rid of the stock nylon plastic stuff. A new quadrant and adjuster should do you fine. Stick with the stock cable though. Unless something has changed in the last couple years the stock cable is your best bet.

If you still have the stock shifter ditch that too.

X2, this man knows!! this is exactly what happened to me with my Mach the 1st time i took it to the track. stock clutch quadrant was the biggest culprit

4a7191a

Established Member
Steeda makes a sweet quad and fire wall adjuster. Ford OEM cable though. . check them out. It can be a pain in the butt to change if you have wide shoulders like me, unless you pull the seat.
Oh, the steeda triax shifter IMO is the best shifter I've ever used...... Just my 2cents :)

Last edited:

watman02

Established Member
I allready had a b&m shifter so thats done I just installed the steeda quadrent and fire wall adjuster and used the oem cable like u guys stated to. Im going back this Saturday and hopefully Fri night is a test and tune. Im hopeing to hit that as well. Ill report back!

Users who are viewing this thread