2nd Gear Grinding

aydina

Established Member
Guys,

Had a quick question that Im not sure about. Recently when I've been shifting into second (most notably in the morning when its cold), it grinds when shifting into second gear. Even when it doesn't grind (once I drive around for a bit) its harder to get it into 2nd gear than others.

I read the Haynes shop manual, and the trouble shooting section mentioned that it might be a loose shift linkage or worn gear. I wanted to get your take on it. I have Ford Racing 3.73 gears and a Steeda Tri-ax shifter if that makes any difference. Thanks!

-Aydin

aydina

Established Member
haven't changed tranny fluid recently (bought it at 19k miles, its at 24k now and I've had it for 1.5 years)...should I give that a shot?

01 Venom

Established Member
yes change the fluid, be sure you DONT over fill. Proper fill level will improve shifting greatly.

I used Synchromesh, its very expensive I know there is a cheaper alternative i dont know it off the top of my head but one of these guys will chime in.

aydina

Established Member
its an '01...I only started noticing it when I moved somewhere colder and started driving in the early mornings. Doesn't do it much (if at all) in the afternoon or once I get it going.

01 Venom

Established Member
ya I noticed it does get a little notchy when its cold

Try the fluid change, fill it to the proper level 3.2 quarts in a 3650

BlueVenom01

Established Member
Try the Pennzoil Synchromesh on your tranny fluid change...pretty much the same as the GM stuff but not nearly as expensive. That's what I use....

And a big +1 on the "Do not overfill" rule as 01 Venom said....it will make shifting even notchier if you do!

01 Venom

Established Member
Try the Pennzoil Synchromesh on your tranny fluid change...pretty much the same as the GM stuff but not nearly as expensive. That's what I use....

And a big +1 on the "Do not overfill" rule as 01 Venom said....it will make shifting even notchier if you do!

Bingo Pennzoil, couldnt remember who made it, thanks

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Normal. These trans do not like cold. After 3 or 4 shifts and the fluid gets worked in it will shift fine.

In the morning what I do is for the first 4 shifts I will Clutch in, go to neutral, clutch in, and then go to second. It will go in super smooth and not clash at all. Once the fluid has worked in I go back to normal shifting.

A few people on the vette forums with T56's do that method in cold climates initially.

hawkti

Established Member
last winter I had a problem with it going into both 1st and 2nd when cold. Car was at 70000 then. Changed out the fluid and it shifts like butta baby. HUGE improvement,,,,

01_Svt venom

Established Member
mine always grinds in second when its cold but after a few minutes it doesn't do it anymore. Changing the fluid did help mine a lot though.

warcat

Established Member
A bit off topic here, but mine grinds when I'm shifting to reverse- fairly badly too. It doesn't matter if it's cold or not. Will a fluid change help my situation?

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
i have had the same thing as well in cold mornings ever since i bought mine too. alot of people i know experience it. change your fluid if you want but i wouldnt be alarmed over it.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
what is the easiest way to fill it back up the job? I was thinking snaking a tube down through the shifter area into the fill hole

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread