2nd annual Texas Shelby Get Together

sportscars

Mustangr Event Organizer
Established Member
Okay folks, its that time again. The 2nd annual Texas Shelby Get Together (TSGT). It is April 10th. We will start out in Kerrville Texas and spend the day driving some of the best roads in central Texas. It will be a great time with fun people and good food. With will be posting more details as we get closer. We also have some options for Sunday for those who might want to stay over. I will be working on a hotel this week and will get a group rate for us.

I am expecting between 40-50 cars this time.

You can email me at sportscars1968 (at) gmail (dot) com

sportscars

Mustangr Event Organizer
Established Member
The Texas Viper club is going to be in the same area. They wanted to know if we were interested in meeting up. There will also be several Ford GT's there as well.

sportscars

Mustangr Event Organizer
Established Member
A few more details:

Start time 9:30 in Kerrville, I'll set a more specific address when we finalize the numbers, but we will then head west out fm1340, past Stonehenge and Easter island and Mo ranch, then head north on 83 to junction, eat lunch at Coopers, head sw on 377 towards rocksprings, turn off down 355 south down the Texas Rollercoaster, then go back east on 377 to Leakey, stay on 377 back to Medina, and head back to Kerrville on 16 and get back around 4:30ish. If everything goes as planned. I haven't made dinner plans yet till I know our numbers.

sportscars

Mustangr Event Organizer
Established Member
Okay, so I drove the whole after lunch route today, started at Cooper's BBQ in Junction, at about the time we will leave there....double checking pull offs and gas stops and road conditions....

Major fun drive, but I must warn some people that most of these roads will be the most challenging roads Texas has to offer....335, WOW, what a blast! It will leave those with a weak stomache a little green..LOL

So, lets get some details out now...

Hotels: The responses we have received want Kerrville, so right off of I-10 on Hwy 16 are 3 or 4 fairly new hotels. The nicest is a La Quinta, with a Motel 6 on one side and a Hampton Inn on the other. I can call and get a group rate, but one question is what are those whom are staying for preference, cheap or comfortable? I personally recommend Hampton from previous experience at other locations for comfort, but I live close enough to have never stayed there at these.

Meeting place: The local high school stadium is right past the hotels on the same side of the road. I figured we could meet at the parking lot there. Should there be a function going on that makes that not work, we can meet at the shopping center parking lot directly across the street from the stadium. Those businesses dont open that early, so we got a back up plan if we need it.

I would like to move up the meeting time to 9:15, to make sure we LEAVE at 9:30 sharp. Cooper's BBQ is reserving a 40 top for us and the plan puts us there by 11:30, just before the lunch rush, but there wont be any waiting since all they have to do is slice off your servings. This will ensure we have plenty of time to gas up in the same locale as the restaurant with plenty of pumps there for us to get in and out. If we leave there by 12:30, we will have plenty of gas to get us back to Kerrville at the end of the day, and can have some scenic photo time and stretching legs time to enjoy this beautiful drive. (Maybe even a little time to dip your toes in the Llano and Nueces...)

sportscars

Mustangr Event Organizer
Established Member
Ok, we currently have RSVP's from about 25 cars. Everybody is staying at either the Hampton Inn, the La Quinta or the Motel 6. Couldn't get a group rate. Sorry.
We are meeting at the school stadium at about 9am.

sportscars

Mustangr Event Organizer
Established Member
Okay people here is the update: We have a group coming down from Dallas, a group from Houston and a group from the Austin/Bastrop area. Most of us will be meeting at the Bass Pro Shop on I-10 W at about 7:30 am Saturday morning. Some people are staying in Kerrville Friday night. We will all meet up at the stadium at about 9am Saturday morning.

Looks right now to be great weather and about 30+ cars.

Users who are viewing this thread