295/30/19 or 305/30/19 R888

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I have the RTR wheels on my 12 5.0. Ive heard a few people say that due to these wheels offset that you cannot run a tire wider than a 275. is this true? I would really like to put some R888s out back and if so can I get away with the 305? Thanks!

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thank you for the post.

The 19" RTR wheels are 9.5" wide. The minimum rim width you can safely run tire size 305/30-19 on is 10". If you're set on running the R888 then the largest size you can safely run on the rear is 295/30-19.

FIFTY

Established Member
Is the r888 the best options for the 9.5 rims, for straight line traction? Any other recommendation ?

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Is the r888 the best options for the 9.5 rims, for straight line traction? Any other recommendation ?

in for the response.

as far as talking with chris (98saleencobra) his car was making similar power to mine and with 4.10s. So I think that I should be ok with my setup 3.31s. I really wanted a 35 series tire, but unfortunately I haven't really had much feed back from anyone with cars that make power like ours do. Not to mention with the RTR wheel offsets ive been limited to the sizes and from what I hear the 295s will be sand blasting my rear fender. ill be able to post more info once they arrive and my pops takes the car to get the new tires mounted, balanced and sends me some pics.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The R888 is an awesome tire but it is designed for road race applications. This means the sidewalls are very stiff for steering response and cornering. The R888 is definitely sticky but from a dig the sidewalls won't flex a lot which is what you really want. For more traction from a dig I recommend wider wheels mounted with drag radials.

FIFTY

Established Member
in for the response.

as far as talking with chris (98saleencobra) his car was making similar power to mine and with 4.10s. So I think that I should be ok with my setup 3.31s. I really wanted a 35 series tire, but unfortunately I haven't really had much feed back from anyone with cars that make power like ours do. Not to mention with the RTR wheel offsets ive been limited to the sizes and from what I hear the 295s will be sand blasting my rear fender. ill be able to post more info once they arrive and my pops takes the car to get the new tires mounted, balanced and sends me some pics.
Please pm me once that's gets sorted out bud!
The R888 is an awesome tire but it is designed for road race applications. This means the sidewalls are very stiff for steering response and cornering. The R888 is definitely sticky but from a dig the sidewalls won't flex a lot which is what you really want. For more traction from a dig I recommend wider wheels mounted with drag radials.

Thanks for the response:beer:

zsommer79

Established Member
I have the RTR wheels on my 12 5.0. Ive heard a few people say that due to these wheels offset that you cannot run a tire wider than a 275. is this true? I would really like to put some R888s out back and if so can I get away with the 305? Thanks!

I am running 285/35 on the RTRs with no issue but I think anything wider and you are going to be sticking out and the sidewalls are going to be rounded with only a 9.5" wheel.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
R888's are good for street racing rolls.. I've done a few digs in my buddies 620rwhp 2.9 Cobra and it hooked up good from 1st.. no spinning at all. But for how long it'll hold is the main question.

Users who are viewing this thread