28x11.50-17 Bias Ply R or 305/45-17 S/S

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Im looking into possibly buying a set of ET Street R 28x11.50-17s for the rear of my basically stock 2014 GT with RT-S 17x10.5s. I'm wondering if a 10.5" wheel is too wide for these as the websites say the maximum width shouldn't be more than 10". I've never ran a full slick before but everyone says these are better for manual trans cars.

I was also considering a 305/45-17 ET Street S/S since I had great luck on a lower profile 265/40-18 ET Street on stock wheels last year. I was cutting 1.82 60fts running 8.02 @ 89mph in the 1/8th slipping the clutch from 4500rpms with everything stock but Roush axlebacks on those.

So now that I'm on rear Welds, I'm just wanting to dip into 7s to be happy with a slightly lower 60ft. I like the idea of a slick but I honestly prefer the driveability of the S/S so I don't have to swap wheels at the track.

Anyone have experience with either of these sizes? Pics of your cars with them would be great too just to get an idea of the size of them. Thanks!

StalkerStang

Established Member
I don't have direct experience with these tires (yet!), but if you look into more detail on the 28x11.5 ET Street R's, the actual tread width is 9.5 in. According to M/T, proper wheel width is + or - 1 in of tread width.

It should be fine.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
If you want to go fast with the MT82 just go bias ply, I had the S/S 295/55/15 and it's very tricky. It will be difficult to be consistent with them unless you're an amazing driver. I was only able to get a 1.67 out of them and they lasted under 2k miles. I could have just gone with the bias ply went 1.5's consistently while being easier on the drivetrain and possibly around the same life out of them as the S/S.

I also didn't like the way they launched, when the grabbed they hook well but shake. The S/S was has incredible traction though on the street though if you can afford to change them that often. In reality you really need a street and a track setup.

I think it depends what your 60 goals are, I would go with the bias since you already bought a 17 and could use the softer sidewall.

Users who are viewing this thread