285/40/17 VS. 315/35/17 and serious Tire Tech Q's!

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
I'm in the process of researching a new set of tires for my cobra. I've decided to run a normal radial in the rear to replace my Nitto drag radials. I've narrowed it down between the BFG KDW's and the GoodYear GS-D3's. I've come up with a few questions on this subject and hopefully you can help me out here. For reference the Nitto DR's are 315/35/17's mounted on 10.5" wheels.

#1- What is the actual size difference (In width) between a 315/35/17 and a 285/40/17?

#2- Assuming the story is true about Nitto's not being as wide compared to other brands of tires in the same advertised size, would a 285/40/17 in another brand supply the same width as a Nitto in 315/35/17?

#3- I was told by a rep at Discount Tire that a 285/40/17 will fit on a 10.5" rim, do you agree with this?

#4- In terms of performance can KDW and GS-D3 owners share thier feelings regarding the tires at hand? (Wet, Dry, Overall, and if any Track Experience)

#5- For those who may have ran Nitto drag radials and made the switch to the above mentioned tires, how's traction been?

#6- 500rwhp+ cars, are you running a regular radial, and does it have a chance?

#7- Anyone know if the GS-D3 is wider in 315/35/17 then the Nitto drag radial in 315/35/17? If so, how much wider?

There is a method to my madness. If a 285/40/17 in the above brands are either the same or very close in width to the Nitto's in 315/35/17 then that's what I want to go with. I can save a boatload of money and still retain a meaty look from the rear. If not then I will have to dig deep for the extra cash to sport the 315's. I'm going to be ordering the tires within the next couple days, any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Razor. :beer:

jumpinjackflash

Established Member
I went from 315 Nittos to 285 GS-D3s and I've been very happy. The 285 GS-D3s actually seems a little wider. I have 10.5" AFS rims and no rubbing problems with either set. No spacers or IRS bolt mod. The 315 GS-D3s would be too wide unless you used a spacer.

I have no experience with the KDWs.

The traction on the street with the GS-D3s has been fine. Much better in the rain!!!!! I don't use them at the track.

I ordered mine from Sam's Club for about $197 each.

Have fun!

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by akatherazor4
...If a 285/40/17 in the above brands are either the same or very close in width to the Nitto's in 315/35/17 then that's what I want to go with.
I have BFG KDWS 285-40-17s on 10.5" wheels. I have measured the section width of these tires to be almost 11.75" on a 10.5" wheel. That's pretty much identical to the section width of a 315 Nitto DR on the same wheel.

285s will look OK on a 10.5" wheel. The sidewall won't bulge out at all with 285s...it's pretty flat. If you were happy with Nitto 315s, then I think you'll be satisfied with 285s. Personally, I think both tires look just a bit small on a 10.5" wheel. I'm actually going to move up to 315s from these 285s (I went with 285s in the first place because I didn't want to run spacers...but I've changed my mind now).

I have plenty of close-up pics of 285s on 10.5" wheels. I can forward them to you if you're interested so you can judge for yourself. I'll be checking back in later tonight.

Why don't you go with Sumitomo 315s? They're only about $150 each from Tire Rack. That's what I'm going to do. Most non-drag-radial 315s have a section width of 12.2-12.75...almost an inch wider than Nitto 315s or street tire 285s. That's the look I'm after. 285s and Nitto DRs fall a little short of that "wide" look from behind...in my opinion. :-D

-Greg

Intimidator

El Spanko!
Established Member
Originally posted by akatherazor4
I'm in the process of researching a new set of tires for my cobra. I've decided to run a normal radial in the rear to replace my Nitto drag radials. I've narrowed it down between the BFG KDW's and the GoodYear GS-D3's. I've come up with a few questions on this subject and hopefully you can help me out here. For reference the Nitto DR's are 315/35/17's mounted on 10.5" wheels.

#1- What is the actual size difference (In width) between a 315/35/17 and a 285/40/17?

#2- Assuming the story is true about Nitto's not being as wide compared to other brands of tires in the same advertised size, would a 285/40/17 in another brand supply the same width as a Nitto in 315/35/17?

#3- I was told by a rep at Discount Tire that a 285/40/17 will fit on a 10.5" rim, do you agree with this?

#4- In terms of performance can KDW and GS-D3 owners share thier feelings regarding the tires at hand? (Wet, Dry, Overall, and if any Track Experience)

#5- For those who may have ran Nitto drag radials and made the switch to the above mentioned tires, how's traction been?

#6- 500rwhp+ cars, are you running a regular radial, and does it have a chance?

#7- Anyone know if the GS-D3 is wider in 315/35/17 then the Nitto drag radial in 315/35/17? If so, how much wider?

There is a method to my madness. If a 285/40/17 in the above brands are either the same or very close in width to the Nitto's in 315/35/17 then that's what I want to go with. I can save a boatload of money and still retain a meaty look from the rear. If not then I will have to dig deep for the extra cash to sport the 315's. I'm going to be ordering the tires within the next couple days, any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Razor. :beer:

1. 30 milimeters.

2. Nitto's do run narrower than other brands. A 285 from another brand might supply the same width as a 315 Nitto, but it shouldn't.

3. A 285 tire will fit on a 10.5 inch wide rim. In my opinion though, it looks retarded. Also, you have absolutely no protection against curbs for the simple fact that your tires curve inward. Low tech graphical example -----> \_/ (The top of that being where your rim ends)

4. I prefer KDW. To me it just seems to be better all around.

5. Traction will be slightly less on dry pavement for obvious reasons.

6. Even the best "regular" radial tires don't seem to like anything above 400 horsepower. Then again, they are meant to be driven on the street, at regular tire pressure and what not. If you want traction at above that mark you should be driving on drag radials set at 13 psi all the time. The easier way would be to baby it out of the hole.

7. Yes. Depends on the mold. So anywhere between 15 and 25 milimeters.

Also, you will not achieve a "meaty" look with 285's. If that is what you are going for you need 315's or 335's.

I'm running a 315's on 10.5 inch wide rims. The Somitomo HTRZ's I'm using sit flush with the rim and offer incredible performance for the dollar.

Mycar1.jpg

Mycar4.jpg

Mycar3.jpg

Rear shots are reserved for special occassions. :p

cdh027

Established Member
Re: Re: 285/40/17 VS. 315/35/17 and serious Tire Tech Q's!

Rear shots are reserved for special occassions. :p [/B]

You've got to be shittting me ? You had better show us a back shot of those sweet ass tires/wheels or else.

03blackCOBRA

Civil PE
Established Member
KDW's here, but only running 275's on stock rims. Goodyear's are over rated imho

I run the Nitto 555R 315's on 10.5" rims in the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread