275/40 BFGs bigger than 315/35 Nittos???

bhollie

Established Member
Im wanting a taller tire for the back to really fill up the wheel wells, the pictures ive seen of the 315/35 nittos seem to look more low profile than i like. would the 275/40 BFGs be any bigger??? Ive heard the BFGs are normally bigger in size campared to the nittos but ive also heard that the two tires I mentioned before are almost the exact same size even though they are different sizes/brands.
if thats the case i will do what it takes to get a 315/35 BFG in there if it looks better,,,,,,,,what do i need,,,,,,,,,,, wheel spacers???? any bolt grinding???

thanks

MikeW

Established Member
Bump... I'd like to know this as well before I place an order

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Im wanting a taller tire for the back to really fill up the wheel wells
What you really need to fill up the wheel wells is a wider wheel and a wider tire. You could always try a 285-40...it will be slightly taller than a 275-40, but probably won't give you the look you're after.

Actually...one of the cheapest ways to fill out the rear wheel wells with the stock wheels/tires is to install some 1" H&R hubcentric wheel spacers. More than a few people have done that with good results.

315/35 nittos seem to look more low profile than i like
They are essentially the same height as the stock 275-40s.

heard the BFGs are normally bigger in size campared to the nittos
That's true. Nitto drag radials are more narrow when compared to other "street" tires like BFGs and Goodyears. A 315-35-17 Nitto is nearly the same width as a 285-40-17 BFG. A Nitto 315-35-17 will actually fit on a stock wheel without the sidewall bulging outrageously....but don't try that with a BFG/Goodyear 315 as they are nearly a full inch wider!!!

what it takes to get a 315/35 BFG in there
Assuming you want 315-35-17 BFGs on 10.5" replica wheels (like AFS, etc), then you will most likely need a pair of 3/8" hubcentric spacers (available from Lightning Force Performance) and some extended thread lugnuts (available from Summit Racing). You may also have to shave a little material off of the IRS bolt heads. It's also possible that IF your car is lowered at least an inch, you might not need any spacers at all.

You guys might be interested in this diagram...

TIRES.gif

Last edited:

bhollie

Established Member
ttt

[You could always try a 285-40...it will be slightly taller than a 275-40, but probably won't give you the look you're after.]

I thought the 40 was the height and 275 was the width.? or is it the other way around.

Brad00L

Established Member
The 275/40/17 BFG is actually just a hair shorter than the stock f1's. But they are little wider though.

bhollie

Established Member
ttt

hey brad,,,are you running the 275 or 315 bfg`s to get those 60 ft times,,,,,,,those are great numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread