275/40-17 Nitto 555R on stock Rim

wjfawb0

Established Member
Will the 275/40-17 Nitto be much narrower than a goodyear 275/40-17 on the stock rims? any pictures? I don't want the rear tires looking anorexic compared to what I have on the front of the car.

I have yet to find to try a tire brand other than BFG that runs as wide as GY. My Yokohama AVS ES 100s and my Kumho Ecsta MXs ran a little bit narrower than my GS-D3s. I have been keeping the 275/40-17 GS-D3s on the front of my car for the hydro planing resistance and placing cheaper tires on the back because I tend to go through them so fast.
The Nitto 315 555R ran so narrow that it wasn't the best looking tire on the 10.5" rims I have, so I now only run BFG 315 DRs on those rims. That narrowness has me scared to put the 275/40-17s on the stock rims in the back. Somebody make me feel better with pics or info so I can order some tires for the back of my car. Please.... :cryying:

Thanks. :-D

-Jason

cobra-info

Established Member
i just picked up a set of nitto dr's in the same size as the factory tire. looks actually a bit fatter to me.. by no means are they any smaller. I didnt want to mess with 315's and having them wear funny on the stock rim

metaman

Established Member
I went through two sets of the 275/40/17 nittos. They are a little more narrow than a normal 275 radial. However, you can not tell when they are on the car. If I was going to get another set of nitto's, I would go with the 315's just for the fat look out back.

However, after driving on a busy, tight, bumpy highway in heavy rain, I probably wont get anymore nittos. Its like trying to drive a hovercraft for 1 or more seconds. Very scary! They where fine when they where new, but after about 4k miles they might as well have been slicks in the rain. Automatic hydroplane garanteed.

drohan8592

Established Member
i had the 275 nitto drag radials on my stock rims and they looked HORRIBLE. they were much smaller than my F1's and i took them off after only 1,000 miles. the car looked retarded with a skinnier set of tires in the back. nitto tires always run smaller than other brands, that's a fact.as a matter of fact i'm willing to sell them for 200 bucks and they're in great shape.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
I compared the stock F1's to the 275/40/17 NittoR2 and they were the same size. Laid both wheels on the garage floor and put a yardstick across them - same height.

Users who are viewing this thread