275/35/18 R888 squared set-up 04 Cobra

OxyCobra

Established Member
Is anyone running this set up on there Cobra? i know everyone runs 305s and 315s in the rear, but im not building a huge HP car ( at least not right now) Honestly it will probably be around 450-475 wheel when i'm finished with it. I plan on doing suspension mods to compliment power as well as a host of other upgrades. Just an FYI, the car will be mostly used for canyon driving and more technical drives. Not looking for a crazy straight line performer, but i am looking for decent grip, and i did get that with my 95 Cobra with 350 WHP with 275/40/17 R888s

New to forum so dont mind the lack of profile info!

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
IMO a square setup is no good on a Terminator. They look sooo good with a staggered setup. Also, fyi - when I was at 459/474 and on a 295 rear I struggled with traction in 1st and 2nd.

OxyCobra

Established Member
IMO a square setup is no good on a Terminator. They look sooo good with a staggered setup. Also, fyi - when I was at 459/474 and on a 295 rear I struggled with traction in 1st and 2nd.

You were running R888s? I think what itll come down to is getting the tires and going from there. What are you running now? Any rubbing touching issues with irs bolts and fenders. I hear very mixed opinions on what do do with wide tires in rear. If anything the biggest i would go is 305s rear. I just dont want to have to roll fenders. Ill be getting MM coilovers shortly after the wheel and tire combo

3xBlackCobra

Established Member

Hope I don't run into the same problem. I had 285's with MSC2's and traction was decent for a while. I'm curious to see how these new extreme contact dw's (295 rear) will do in comparison

Fast Willy

Established Member
You were running R888s? I think what itll come down to is getting the tires and going from there. What are you running now? Any rubbing touching issues with irs bolts and fenders. I hear very mixed opinions on what do do with wide tires in rear. If anything the biggest i would go is 305s rear. I just dont want to have to roll fenders. Ill be getting MM coilovers shortly after the wheel and tire combo

What are your plans for the car, auto-x, drag, street driving? I street drive and 1/4 my 315's in the rear with r888's. I run a 3/8th spacer and lower profile bolts and I also have rolled fenders with no problems on either side. Only thing tire wise I swap when I go to my local auto-x is I run the 10.5 rear tire with a 295 on it and the cornering ability is so much improved actually going to a smaller tire but 1st gear really because hard to catch traction in with the same tire just in the smaller size. air pressure also really plays a factor in this specific tire as well.

OxyCobra

Established Member
What are your plans for the car, auto-x, drag, street driving? I street drive and 1/4 my 315's in the rear with r888's. I run a 3/8th spacer and lower profile bolts and I also have rolled fenders with no problems on either side. Only thing tire wise I swap when I go to my local auto-x is I run the 10.5 rear tire with a 295 on it and the cornering ability is so much improved actually going to a smaller tire but 1st gear really because hard to catch traction in with the same tire just in the smaller size. air pressure also really plays a factor in this specific tire as well.

I plan on agressive canyon driving, and occasinal auto x. Also, i dont want to roll fenders. I was going to 18x9 and 18x10 rears with a 275/ 285 combo for the super sports. But i dont think thats going to cut it according to the replies, lol. Its unfortunate that toyo doesnt make a 295 with a 35 sidewall. I will say, at 350 wheel on my 95 cobra 275/40/17 squared were a solid performer

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
While it probably worked great on the 95 it won't really cut it on the Terminator.. Making 450+ftlbs of tq damn near off idle is the issue.. The 95 probably didn't make peak tq until a lot later in the power band.. I would recommend running a 275/305 setup.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I had that size but in 17's on oem cobra rims. My car handled like a dream with them. It was my track setup. I had no issues at all with rubbing or anything.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
It was a squared setup 275/35/17's I was making 620 to the wheels at the time. Keep in mind i only used this setup for track days. I still spun through second.

IMG_2274_zpseca565f3.jpg

IMG_2277_zps5121452e.jpg

OxyCobra

Established Member
It was a squared setup 275/35/17's I was making 620 to the wheels at the time. Keep in mind i only used this setup for track days. I still spun through second.

IMG_2274_zpseca565f3.jpg

IMG_2277_zps5121452e.jpg

Decisions decisions.. The most my Cobra will make is 475-500 hp. So i have some choices to make. Honestly, i love the r888s but i do want to mess with a 275 f and 285 r to see how it is. right now the car just has a cai and catback.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
i would run a 265 front and a 285 or 295 rear if your not worried about rotating the tires. most people that want a square setup are using it for track purposes and want the ability to rotate.

R888's run wide. get a 265 front and 295 rear and you'll be happy. later extended studs in the rear and get a small spacer to get the tires flush.

OxyCobra

Established Member
i would run a 265 front and a 285 or 295 rear if your not worried about rotating the tires. most people that want a square setup are using it for track purposes and want the ability to rotate.

R888's run wide. get a 265 front and 295 rear and you'll be happy. later extended studs in the rear and get a small spacer to get the tires flush.

i had 275s up front on my 95 cobra and they fit nice and flush with the fenders. had 17x9 03 cobras on them. the problem with toyo is they dont have a 35 sidewall in 285/295 which is what i was looking for. so i'm kind of leaning to MPSS in all four corners with a 285r 275f but it seems like according to other people that wont be enough tire. i wanted better steering feel as opposed to steamrollers. im only looking for around 450-500 whp. what do you think? im trying to set up the car for more twisties than crazy straight line performance

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
While it probably worked great on the 95 it won't really cut it on the Terminator.. Making 450+ftlbs of tq damn near off idle is the issue.. The 95 probably didn't make peak tq until a lot later in the power band.. I would recommend running a 275/305 setup.

Best post in this thread so far. Comparing a 475hp Terminator to a 350 hp 95 cobra is apples to oranges.

Users who are viewing this thread