26 spline upgrade worth it for stock Terminator?

jpk

Established Member
I've got a nearly stock Terminator and I'm going to get a new clutch kit because I've got nasty throw out bearing noise. Figured if I'm going to replace the TOB and sleeve, I might as well do the clutch. And maybe if I'm going to do the clutch, maybe I might as well upgrade to a 26 spline input shaft.

Will I notice any difference in my gear changes by getting a 26 spline upgrade or would I just be throwing money away since I'm not making 600+HP?

Also, if anyone has a recommendation for a clutch kit, let me know. I'm probably going to go with one of the Spec kits but not sure which number to get.

jpk

Established Member
Well, went based on what folks were saying on the other threads. Only thing I'm not sure about is I got the lightened steel McLeod flywheel instead of the aluminum. Lethal Performance said that they recommend it over the aluminum, even though the car comes stock with a McLeod aluminum one, and aluminum is more expensive.

Look like the right setup? I just dropped an insane $1,800 for parts for a new clutch before install, so I hope so!

McLeod RXT Steet Twin dual disc clutch
McLeod lightened steel flywheel
Ford Racing throw out bearing
Lethal Performance TOB retainer sleeve
Liberty 26 spline input shaft
Liberty shim kit for input shaft
Ford Racing flywheel bolts, clutch bolts, and roller pilot bearing
McLeod pivot ball

cobracide

Established Member
Yes, even stock Terminators will break input shafts. Your logic follows to take care of the clutch and input shaft now. Also consider an LDC cooling mod if you don't have one of those. JPK has all the other parts listed. Perfect setup as that is what I am running but an RST instead of an RXT. You should just get the RXT and be done but if you don't have the cash and are not going to the track an RST will probably suffice.

ramstein

Established Member
I'm just about to do the same, but instead of spending 900 on Mcleod, I'll just get Spec 3 with soft pedal option. (350$):beer:

jpk

Established Member
OK, thanks for the confirmation. So I guess the lightened steel flywheel is better for everyday drivability and reduced chatter? I supposed I'll found out soon enough.

Double-D

'03 10th Anniv. Cobra Cpe
Established Member
OK, thanks for the confirmation. So I guess the lightened steel flywheel is better for everyday drivability and reduced chatter? I supposed I'll found out soon enough.

I'm in the same boat on the flywheel. Through PM's, members here have said they are using the RXT (I'm going to use) with the stock aluminum flywheel and street-ability is great.

My gut "feeling" is the car would benefit with the lightened steel flywheel but my wallet says to keep the stock one (and send it to McLeod for remanufacturing if required). Having McLeod install new heat shields will set you back approx $150 plus shipping to them of original).

I will also be changing the input shaft but with the D&D because others have said it's a quality piece & should "drop-in" within spec with nothing more than the original shim.

If you are doing a clutch job, the bearing retainer and 26 spline shaft is a no brainer.

DD

SlowSVT

Established Member
The fact the effective diameter in the factory 10 spline is the same as the pilot shaft (note the root depth of the spline) kept me up at night with worry :uh oh:

If you digging around inside the bell housing for any reason get a 26 fine spline shaft, you'll sleep better :)

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Well I have a new fidanza aluminum flywheel along with a rxt clutch going on in spring. From doing searches, it seems alot of drag racers like the steel flywheels and aluminum onces seem to be a little more rev happy.

04mysticvert

Established Member
I just finished installing my stage 4 spec clutch, and I like it so far. I used my stock flywheel and changed the bearings. I also installed bbk lth. The clutch is softer than I imagined it being and is very grabby. So far, I like the stage 4 clutch, but have a few header bolts to tighten up.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
You're car probably won't stay stock for long ;-) It'll be a piece of mind knowing that one of the weak points in the car is taken care of. Now you just need a cooling mod and diff cover/brace

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I just upgraded my clutch. Hated my dfx, hated my king cobra, but love the rst twin disk, simply awesome for a dd. I upgraded my ip shaft and have a lighter fly wheel. Couldn't be happier.

Tractionless1

Established Member
IMO bulletproof it now while you're in there, it may cost you more in the long run if you have a failure. Not everyone will have a failure; however, I'll be damned if hindsight isn't 20/20. My philosophy is overbuild if available.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I'm over 600hp now, and still on the stock clutch (only 15k miles on the car), and it is holding up fine for now. That being said, if I have any reason to drop the trans, a 26 spline setup will be going in for sure! I'm not hard on the car, and don't drag race so it should be ok for awhile (hopefully), but when I do change it, it will be for a RXT unless something better comes along bu then.

rudycobra

Established Member
I've got a nearly stock Terminator and I'm going to get a new clutch kit because I've got nasty throw out bearing noise. Figured if I'm going to replace the TOB and sleeve, I might as well do the clutch. And maybe if I'm going to do the clutch, maybe I might as well upgrade to a 26 spline input shaft.

Will I notice any difference in my gear changes by getting a 26 spline upgrade or would I just be throwing money away since I'm not making 600+HP?

Also, if anyone has a recommendation for a clutch kit, let me know. I'm probably going to go with one of the Spec kits but not sure which number to get.

Same exact set up here ! You'll love it and b thankful u did it in long run . Lightened steel flywheel is great too !

jpk

Established Member
Same exact set up here ! You'll love it and b thankful u did it in long run . Lightened steel flywheel is great too !

Sweet! Thanks for letting me know you like your setup. Lethal shipped my parts earlier this week, should be here in a few days.

Emwun Garand

Established Member
I have the RXT, McLeod lightened steel flywheel, D&D 26 spline shaft, frpp throwout and pilot bearings, lethal sleeve, arp flywheel bolts, maximum motorsports OEM style clutch cable, upr quadrant, reichard firewall adjuster, etc etc.

I bought but did not end up needing, the mcleod pivot ball, the shim kit.

Like has been said before, do the head cooling mod while you're back there, it makes it much easier. Also, if you plan to ever do an EGR delete, now is the time.

Users who are viewing this thread