26 spline input shaft shimming question

golfprowanabe

Established Member
I installed my new Liberty input shaft and had to use a thicker shim. Now I'm getting a slight vibration when under load. It occured to me that I maybe I need to reshim the countershaft as well since I've might have moved the front cover away a bit because of the new shim on the input shaft. I wouldn't think this is neccessary since that shim is just filling up the gap from the input shaft, but I could be wrong. Has anyone else had this kind of problem? Or maybe someone might know what I might have done wrong to cause a slight vibration.

shoaf85

Established Member
Did you install anything else other than the input shaft like, shifter, new clutch etc. etc.? If so maybe something else is causing it because if the end play is right on the input shaft then there should be no other factors causing a vibration!

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
how much did you shim it?

I'd contact Liberty directly

313-278-4040.....talk to Paul or Craig (or leave a message, as they're very busy this time of year)

Last edited:

golfprowanabe

Established Member
I looked again at the end play for that input shaft. It looks like I need a .042 shim. Does this sound usual? I had a .036 in there. Stock was .030. Also, how much side to side play should be in the input shaft? Should it be absolutely zero side to side play?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
It is actually very rare that the 26 spline Liberty input shafts require a shim that bigger or smaller than the factory .030 shim. And if the thicker shim you put in there is causing the front cover to seat correctly, I think you'd be able to notice that with a thorough inspection.

Users who are viewing this thread