26 Spline HELP.

Wayne64SS

Established Member
I ordered my 26 spline input and bearings and shim kit from Tom @ AMP performance. I received everything for the installation EXCEPT the shim kit. I have bearings and cones and seals, no shims.

Everything came in different boxes and I was very careful to make sure to check them all for hidden parts. No shims.

i just got off the phone with Tom and he's telling me now that he's never sold a shim kit before and everything i got is what's needed for installation.

I was under the impression these input shafts needed to be shimmed to .000 - .002 endplay for proper installation and that the shim itself goes inbetween the input shaft and the front case.

Is it just me or do I actually need these shims to do this job????

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Although there are folks that recommend buying the shim ket, the reality is that the Liberty and DSS shafts are machined to very exact tolerances and it is rare that any shims are needed for this install.

bmxer89

Established Member
See how the shaft is with no shims. I just put mine in and had way to much endplay with no shims

thelpb

Established Member
When I did the 26 spline in my first tranny I was able to use the factory shim. No shim gave .006 while the factory gave .000 with the Liberty.

black 10th vert

Established Member
That stinks he didn't include the shims. I personally would rather have a set of shims that I didn't need, then to get it all ripped apart, and have the wrong endplay - and have to wait for shims just to finish the install!:bash:

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
i was under the same impression too untill i mine installed by a friend that works for a trans shop & he said i didnt need the shims so i sold them a couple days later lol !

its been working fine ever since & that was 3 yrs ago

robd03cobra

Established Member
yea my cobra has 70,000 miles on it and i just did the upgrade and didnt have to use any shims and sold mine on ebay a couple days ago so aparently the stock shim doesnt wear out that fast and the new input shafts are build to pretty close specs

Users who are viewing this thread