255/45/18 Cooper Zeons? Can I run em?

NoAllies

Boost-A-Holic
Established Member
Hey all, I normally would not do something like this, but I have a set of 255/45/18 Cooper Zeon 2XS's on some rims that I was running on a sports car before. I am needing to swap some tires off the rear of my L and would like to use these tires before they just go to waste. They are nearly new and if I can use them, I'd like to get the life out of them. The load index on the stock Goodyears on our trucks is a 90, the Coopers are a 84. Our trucks have an estimated curb weight of 4670 and the tires have a max load of 1235 each. This would leave me with about 100lbs to play with. I just want to put these on two rims. My front tires are nearly new, so I was playin with putting those on the rear and putting the Coopers up front...but to get the weight off the Coopers, would it make sense to put them on the rear?

Keep in mind, I'm also asking to see if anybody even thinks this is a decent idea. I want to still be safe, and in the name of safety and keeping my truck nice, I'd rather not blow out a tire just because I want to use them.

Thanks!

OH-MAN

Established Member
I run some 275 -30-18 slicks on my truck at the track.
They are pushing the limit on the narrow side.
255 would be too small in my opinion.

svtjerrod

Established Member
man those tire would not only look bad on your truck, they could mess stuff up and are really too small..

they will change everything.. if you put them on the rear it would be same as putting lower gears in it so number one it would change the speedo.. it would also make the rear wheels turn faster than the front and that would make an abs light come on.

i think tires.com or tire rack . com has some tire size tools where you can put in the size and it will give you the deminsion of it. but for most all purposes this usually works..

the first number is the sidewall hiegth the second number is the width and the other is the rim

technically the first number is the lenght of a measurement from one bead over the top of the tire to the other bead and the second number is the aspect ratio with is the percentage of that number that is the sidewall and the other is the rim size..

so a 255-45-18 would be 255 mm from bead to the other bead, and 45 percent of 255 is the side wall.

i may not be 100 perdent right, but its a good start on understanding it anyway..

anyway for the sake of svt owners everywhere please do not use these tires unless you are putting them on to burn them completely off in a burn out contest.. lol

NoAllies

Boost-A-Holic
Established Member
OK, just to let ya all know...I would NEVER do this if I wasnt just lookin for a way to use the tires up. I have a very strong feeling that they could not support the weight of the front of the truck, and would never put them in the rear because they'd look stupid. I was only trying to get some use out of them before I junk them.

I do not think it would be safe and it would look just plain stupid. I just had a friend see them in my garage and ask me why I didn't throw them on my truck as the rears are pretty bald anyway.

I already have a set of Nitto's for the rear, and intend on putting them on after our winter months come and go.

Jerrod, i hate to break it to ya, but wherever you heard the theory on tire sizing is completely inaccurate. The first number is the width of the tire, second is the height, third is rim size. Im not sure what measurement it is (MM, CM, etc), but either way...the sizewall (second number) has nothing to do with half of anything. It's just simply the height. This number is non changing through any of the tire vendors. A 305/45/18 is going to have the same sidewall as a 255/45/18. The only difference is the width of the tire. About 11 inches as opposed to 7.5-8.

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
Jerrod, i hate to break it to ya, but wherever you heard the theory on tire sizing is completely inaccurate. The first number is the width of the tire, second is the height, third is rim size. Im not sure what measurement it is (MM, CM, etc), but either way...the sizewall (second number) has nothing to do with half of anything. It's just simply the height. This number is non changing through any of the tire vendors. A 305/45/18 is going to have the same sidewall as a 255/45/18. The only difference is the width of the tire. About 11 inches as opposed to 7.5-8.

neither you or jerrod is correct but he had the right idea

the second number is the percentage of the width one size of the sidewall is from the rim to the edge of the tire. also called the aspect ratio

extreme example...

a 205/30r15 will have a much shorter side wall than a 305/30r18

Section Width
Following the letter(s) that identify the type of vehicle and/or type of service for which the tire was designed, the three-digit numeric portion identifies the tire's "Section Width" (cross section) in millimeters.

P225/50R16 91S

The 225 indicates this tire is 225 millimeters across from the widest point of its outer sidewall to the widest point of its inner sidewall when mounted and measured on a specified width wheel. This measurement is also referred to as the tire's section width. Because many people think of measurements in inches, the 225mm can be converted to inches by dividing the section width in millimeters by 25.4 (the number of millimeters per inch).

225mm / 25.4 = 8.86"

Sidewall Aspect Ratio
Typically following the three digits identifying the tire's Section Width in millimeters is a two-digit number that identifies the tire's profile or aspect ratio.

P225/50R16 91S

The 50 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height (from rim to tread) is 50% of its section width. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. The higher the number, the taller the sidewall; the lower the number, the lower the sidewall. We know that this tire size's section width is 225mm and that its section height is 50% of 225mm. By converting the 225mm to inches (225 / 25.4 = 8.86") and multiplying it by 50% (.50) we confirm that this tire size results in a tire section height of 4.43". If this tire were a P225/70R16 size, our calculation would confirm that the size would result in a section height of 6.20", approximately a 1.8-inch taller sidewall.

Last edited:

NoAllies

Boost-A-Holic
Established Member
neither you or jerrod is correct but he had the right idea

the second number is the percentage of the width one size of the sidewall is from the rim to the edge of the tire. also called the aspect ratio

extreme example...

a 205/30r15 will have a much shorter side wall than a 305/30r18

Section Width
Following the letter(s) that identify the type of vehicle and/or type of service for which the tire was designed, the three-digit numeric portion identifies the tire's "Section Width" (cross section) in millimeters.

P225/50R16 91S

The 225 indicates this tire is 225 millimeters across from the widest point of its outer sidewall to the widest point of its inner sidewall when mounted and measured on a specified width wheel. This measurement is also referred to as the tire's section width. Because many people think of measurements in inches, the 225mm can be converted to inches by dividing the section width in millimeters by 25.4 (the number of millimeters per inch).

225mm / 25.4 = 8.86"

Sidewall Aspect Ratio
Typically following the three digits identifying the tire's Section Width in millimeters is a two-digit number that identifies the tire's profile or aspect ratio.

P225/50R16 91S

The 50 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height (from rim to tread) is 50% of its section width. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. The higher the number, the taller the sidewall; the lower the number, the lower the sidewall. We know that this tire size's section width is 225mm and that its section height is 50% of 225mm. By converting the 225mm to inches (225 / 25.4 = 8.86") and multiplying it by 50% (.50) we confirm that this tire size results in a tire section height of 4.43". If this tire were a P225/70R16 size, our calculation would confirm that the size would result in a section height of 6.20", approximately a 1.8-inch taller sidewall.

"WOW, I was WAY off!!" - Dumb & Dumber

So yeah, the way I had it explained to me was horribly wrong. Meh, oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread