$2500 to spend with tax return what to buy?

okc12silvergt

Established Member
Ok so my 5.0 currently is a 6 spd manual car with 3.31's, JBA LT's, xpipe, JBA axleback, Boss intake manifold, JLT CAI. I have $2500 to spend from our tax return. Would it it be worth it to switch to the Cobra Jet intake setup. I seen a comparison on JPC and they gained 2 WHP w/ the CJ and GT500 TB and 6 WHP with the CJ and FRPP TB. seems like not much gain for $1,700 and $2,300. I have a spare set of 2 of 17" rims should I buy DR's for those or buy 15's? I have also heard people mention cams. Which are $1500 but then u also gotta buy new gaskets and I would pay for labor which would be about $500. I'm thinking im gonna do a bigger TB, install my 3.73's buy injectors and run a separate E85 tune for the weekends. Thoughts? opinions?

Waxxon

Established Member
You've already got the basics covered. What are your goals for the car? Drag? Road race? Handling for the street?

See you're a manual. Have s shifter yet? Motor mounts? Drive Shaft? New clutch?

Suspension (already mentioned in the thread)?

Plan on going FI in the future? Could buy supporting mods and drop the cost of a kit in the future. Fuel system, ect...

Your budget would buy a damn fine nitrous kit including install with quite a few suspension bits and a set of drag radials. I'd go that way.

Last edited:

OneSlowV

Established Member
UCA is a must to eliminate wheel hoop. I have a DS done on my car and i'm shocked how it woke the car up down low. Pretty sure cams would gain you around 50 rwhp witch is better than the cobra jet.

ExTurbo

Established Member
there's just too much that you could do...right now im debating weather or not to run the CJ setup myself, if i already had the boss intake i probably wouldnt. Id hate to put the money out and go slower down the track, or even run close to the same time. Im honestly considering keeping the stock intake and just investing in heads/cams. i dont think you could do it for less than 4 grand though. I just think if you decided to go CJ later down the road the heads and cams would just improve on the gains.

Then again a clutch/flywheel/driveshaft might just free up enough horsepower and improve ET's as much as a CJ setup would. Might even be enough left over for some minor things like a shifter, or a set of radials.

Dominic Toretto

Established Member
You've already got the basic power mods down. Go for installing the gears and LCAs, also lowering springs, UCA and relocation brackets. Keep the rest and save for the cam to install.

-Alex

burke985

Established Member
If you plan on FI do not do any more power adders just save for that, other than that id do a driveshaft and suspension mods

OBX Steve

Banned
Suspension, suspension, suspension! Lowering springs, sway bars, LCA's, UCA adjustable panhard bar. You'll probably change your mind about which way you wanna go for power. I was all about FI and nitrous just about pulled that trigger. Put the money into suspension, wheels, Tires, CAI, TB, tune GT 500 spoiler side scoops and just installed a ford racing shifter with two post bracket and a coast performance 4 " aluminum driveshaft. FI is no longer in my future neither is Nitrous. Gears and cams are next! Whatever you decide will be the right choice for you. The one thing I should have done that a few guys told me a while ago was install a shifter.

Users who are viewing this thread