2300 RoushchargerBelt Issue

saleensc281

Established Member
2300 Roushcharger Boost Issue

For my 2300 Rouscharged Phase 1 bubbas, got a question for you. How tight is your supercharger belt? I bought a 13 RS3 a couple weeks ago, but have a feeling it isn't boosting at the low end like it should. Case in point 1st gear the boost guage does not move past 0 until like 4000 to 5000 rpms. Sometimes it doesn't move past 0 until I shift into 2nd gear (once a load is put on the engine) and that's mashing the gas hard. I'm pretty sure the belt is slipping.

I took it to a ROUSH certified dealership who ordered and replaced the belt and upgraded the idlers, from Roush, to the smooth 14 style. The old belt was missing ribs in places and was starting to fray.

Ok, so that being said, when I face the engine I can pretty much twisted the left side of the belt 90 degrees and the right side I can easily twist the belt more than 90 degrees. Is that normal on FEAD drive superchargers to have that much play in the belt?

If not I am guessing two things. One, perhaps it's either a too big a belt due to fact the previous owner put a smaller pulley on it. The only thing is that the mini seals are present on each of the pulley bolts, so not 100% on that one.

Two, that the tensioner has crapped out.

What do you guys think? Any experience/ feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Im assuming the seat of the pants doesn't feel it making power down low either? could your boost gauge be wrong?
when I change pulleys, I use a 1/2" ratchet w/ 17mm socket on the tensioner. its not crazy stiff, but you cant budge it with your bare hands. Check the #'s on the belt. I used the same belt for 85mm,82mm, & 79mm pulleys. If yours came originally with a 90mm, it may be to long of a belt.

NickSezz

Established Member
For my 2300 Rouscharged Phase 1 bubbas, got a question for you. How tight is your supercharger belt? I bought a 13 RS3 a couple weeks ago, but have a feeling it isn't boosting at the low end like it should. Case in point 1st gear the boost guage does not move past 0 until like 4000 to 5000 rpms. Sometimes it doesn't move past 0 until I shift into 2nd gear (once a load is put on the engine) and that's mashing the gas hard. I'm pretty sure the belt is slipping.

I took it to a ROUSH certified dealership who ordered and replaced the belt and upgraded the idlers, from Roush, to the smooth 14 style. The old belt was missing ribs in places and was starting to fray.

Ok, so that being said, when I face the engine I can pretty much twisted the left side of the belt 90 degrees and the right side I can easily twist the belt more than 90 degrees. Is that normal on FEAD drive superchargers to have that much play in the belt?

If not I am guessing two things. One, perhaps it's either a too big a belt due to fact the previous owner put a smaller pulley on it. The only thing is that the mini seals are present on each of the pulley bolts, so not 100% on that one.

Two, that the tensioner has crapped out.

What do you guys think? Any experience/ feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

This is how factory tuned Roush cars feel...They have no balls down low due to how they have the torque tables set up. It makes it very hard to get into boost unless you mash the pedal quick or wait until the revs climb. If you want that instant boost and performance you are looking for you need a good custom tune from a company like us that specializes in tuning Roush and other supercharged vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread