20A fuel pump fuse blows...

slick_willy

Established Member
I'm looking for some guidance with an issue that I've been dealing with for about six months now. The car is a 98 Cobra with the On3 kit. So, I installed a 290lph Walbro in-tank fuel pump and a T-rex inline pump while dealing with the turbo kit. This is where things get confusing... IF the stereo is on, the 20A fuse for the fuel pump under the hood will blow as soon as there is a load on the motor. IF the stereo is turned off, the car will run fine with a 40A fuse. I know that having a 40A fuse in there is a fire hazard but I've had one in there for six months and nothing yet:bowdown:. With a 40A and the stereo off it doesn't blow the fuse. I'm thinking about running a power distribution block and a relay for the inline pump hoping that will help. Has anyone ran into anything similar to this? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long wind.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Are both pumps off the same fuse? Are you using all the stock wiring?

I wouldn't be surprised if that inline pump was a restriction for the 290.

I'd consider ditching the inline and using a boost-a-pump if needed.

slick_willy

Established Member
No, different fuses. The in-tank pump is on the stock wiring. The inline is either 8 or 10 gauge. I wired the inline into the fuse panel by the steering wheel. Maybe by not running it to the battery is causing my problem? I didn't even think about the inline slowing the 290 down. I'll keep that and the boost-a-pump in mind.

slick_willy

Established Member
I think I've fixed the issue. I just ran the power wire to the battery like the directions say to :nonono: No blown fuses since Thursday. Thanks to those who chimed in!

Users who are viewing this thread