Grilling Season Thread

blownstang01

Established Member
While not a grilling moment, I had to share for the LOL's.
We were camping at a COE campground / lake last weekend and me and my boys deep fried a 23lb Turkey. The looks alone were worth it...what kind of redneck deep fries a turkey at a campground, lol. Was delicious.

Attachments

• 20230703_174857.jpg
    20230703_174857.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 76

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
On the blackstone

Chicken thighs
Marinade of brown sugar, Lime juice, smoked paprika, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, chopped green onions or chives,soy sauce, red pepper flakes and ketchup...mix it soak it for a bit and hit griddle. Pour the remaining sauce on it a min or two before its done...omg

Made is last night...damn good

bird_dog0347

Established Member
I picked up a blackstone yesterday and got it seasoned up, but it might be a couple of days until I use it as it's just me home alone till Wednesday and I hate making and cleaning big messes just for myself.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
I did an 18lb brisket, ribs, beans, and a peach cobbler for 4th of July.

I made a coffee/cayenne rub for the brisket...

1688435029839.jpg

18 hours at 225 over cherry on my XL BGE, wrapped in butcher paper halfway through, although I bumped it to 275 later on to hurry it through the stall...

1688437511731.jpg

Did some ribs when I pulled the brisket and let it rest in a cooler...

1688495718955.jpg

Cobbler was ok, the dough was a little bland although I'm not sure why because it was packed with sugar and cinnamon. I need to try making another one actually on the BGE...

1688515291105.jpg

I'm more of a pork guy, but the brisket turned out good. I never see much of a smoke ring on my meats, not sure why. Either way, flavor and tenderness were all there...

1688515106957.jpg

bird_dog0347

Established Member
I did an 18lb brisket, ribs, beans, and a peach cobbler for 4th of July.

I made a coffee/cayenne rub for the brisket...

View attachment 1800641

18 hours at 225 over cherry on my XL BGE, wrapped in butcher paper halfway through, although I bumped it to 275 later on to hurry it through the stall...

View attachment 1800642

Did some ribs when I pulled the brisket and let it rest in a cooler...

View attachment 1800643

Cobbler was ok, the dough was a little bland although I'm not sure why because it was packed with sugar and cinnamon. I need to try making another one actually on the BGE...

View attachment 1800644

I'm more of a pork guy, but the brisket turned out good. I never see much of a smoke ring on my meats, not sure why. Either way, flavor and tenderness were all there...

View attachment 1800645
While a smoke ring won't impact the flavor, some people "expect" it. In order to get a better smoke ring you need to make sure to put COLD meat on the hot smoker. Airflow in the smoker also seems to make a difference but meat right out of the fridge onto the smoker would be ideal.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Over 12hrs from fire start to pull for rest. BB oak lump with a piece or two each of cherry and apple smoking wood

"Memphis Dust" rub with mustard binder (got the rub recipe from the book 'Meathead' that I got as a gift. Surprised it didn't call for any salt and it definitely needed it, will add next time)
Spritzed with apple juice/apple cider vinegar/water mix every hr starting at hr 3
Pulled at ~165 for full foil wrap (was going to do a boat but was getting concerned with time so decided for full wrap)
Pulled at ~198 for 45min towel+cooler rest

Bahstin-Butt.jpg

First-Spray.jpg

Bone-pull.jpg

Pulling.jpg

Plate.jpg

Overall I learned a lot about the process and about the KJ. Loved every second of it. Bone came out clean with the lightest wiggle so a success in my mind.

Can't wait for my next cook.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread