2018 Raptor will not start

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Need a little help. When you push the start button without the brake engaged it will power up. A bunch of fail warnings come on and eventually the press brake to start icon will come up. Press the start button again and the truck powers down.

It happened a couple weeks ago and I switched key fobs and everything was good. Now it's doing it with either fob. Replaced the battery in both. Truck battery has been tested and it's good and charged. All battery connections are tight. Fuses are all good. Tried to jump it and the same thing happens. The only recent maintenance is an oil change that I did.

Next thing to check is the starter. Any ideas I'm just about out of options that I can think of. A little video of trying to start it.

Edit: The truck stopped running while driving through the neighborhood and received all the same faults. Swapped fobs and it started normally.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Need a little help. When you push the start button without the brake engaged it will power up. A bunch of fail warnings come on and eventually the press brake to start icon will come up. Press the start button again and the truck powers down.

It happened a couple weeks ago and I switched key fobs and everything was good. Now it's doing it with either fob. Replaced the battery in both. Truck battery has been tested and it's good and charged. All battery connections are tight. Fuses are all good. Tried to jump it and the same thing happens. The only recent maintenance is an oil change that I did.

Next thing to check is the starter. Any ideas I'm just about out of options that I can think of. A little video of trying to start it.

Edit: The truck stopped running while driving through the neighborhood and received all the same faults. Swapped fobs and it started normally.

Could be a number of things. I would put money on the PCM.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Do you have FORScan? It doesn’t like the FOBs since it shouldn’t shut off once running if the FOB “disappears”. I’m with Nick, thinking it is the PCM. Electronics is why I bought the extended warranty for mine…and I bought it from Nick:ROFLMAO:

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Nope no FORScan.

Really wish I would have thought of the extended warranty to late now though.

There is a guy on ford raptor forum that has the exact same symptoms. I'm waiting on a response to see what the issue was.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I would check the two electrical plugs at the firewall on the passenger side. Make sure they are completely seated and locked in.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I would download FORScan, get the necessary cable and see if there is a module not communicating. @DSG2003Mach1 Has experience with what/where to get cable/software. That is if you have the time.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
The cable will be here tomorrow actually.
So hopefully I'll be able to dig into it more, otherwise it's of to the dealer I go. It would be nice if it's something simple and inexpensive.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
From reading through that it seems as though the bcm and pcm are working for the initial start sequence since I'm not getting a no key detected message. For sure not the pats.

Thank you for the that.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
The forscan arrived and read thru the codes. There's the codes for the failed systems which makes sense. There is also a U0100 code. It's a generic code for lost communication with the ecm/pcm.

Tow truck is on the way, yay!

Looking like Nick was right right off the bat.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
The forscan arrived and read thru the codes. There's the codes for the failed systems which makes sense. There is also a U0100 code. It's a generic code for lost communication with the ecm/pcm.

At least when it comes back you’ll get to do cool shit with FORScan like disable the honk when it’s running and Lincoln folding style mirrors.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Every blind squirrel finds a nut every once and a while.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
The honk is annoying. :LOL:
Dude, so ****ing annoying. I always forgot about it. When changing the oil I would start it, close the door, and walk to the front. All the neighbors heard was HONK "MF'er! Every ****ing time, **** **** piece of shit!" Now it's all fixed:cool: well it's still all ****ed up in my driveway.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Was gonna say check your ground under the Truck that goes to frame. It's passenger side under kick panel part of truck. It has been said to cause crazy electrical issues with the PCM. Odds are something else but always worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread