2018 Coyote swap

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
Finally got the 2018 Motor in....very happy at this point. It's still in the crate, I will probably open it Tuesday. More importantly, I have the 10R80 and ecu...and confirmed thru a friend that is currently a ford engineer that PATS can be disabled, and the firing order can be changed to run the Mustang motor with the F150 ecu. Many other hurdles to cross, but it has and will be done.

The interesting thing is that I found that the swap will be easier using the 10r80 vs the T56. The engine will bolt to a maximum motorsports k member, and using the spacers to lower it another 1/2 inch. Using a steel 2 inch cowl hood, and hoping this is enough to clear the CJ intake. If not, I'll use the stock hood and cut it. I don't want to use fiberglass.

It's going into a 1989 Notch. Think I will use SVE series 1 wheels...we'll see.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice.
Are you going to mod the '18 engine or keep it stock?

KingBlack

Established Member
Nice.
Are you going to mod the '18 engine or keep it stock?
I have a CJ intake manifold, kooks exhaust...that's it for now. Honestly, a lot of it depends on the hood clearance, as I mentioned before I want a steel hood. the biggest cowl on a steel one is 2 inches, and the 1/2 inch spacer for the k member. on stock cams with 12 to 1 cr im thinking 460+ rwhp on 93 octane. its just that this platform is so new, will the parts be out soon enough (comp cams) to keep on schedule? time will tell

Twisted2v

Established Member
I believe the f150 ecu firing order can be changed with an SCT tuner?

Or do you have anothet method?

MG0h3

Established Member
Why are you fixed on a steel hood? I think foxes look wicked with a 2 1/2" cowl. I had weld draglites on my last fox. Loved the look.

KingBlack

Established Member
I believe the f150 ecu firing order can be changed with an SCT tuner?

Or do you have anothet method?
Yes this is correct. Changing the cams on an 2015+ F150 coyote to a gt profile is needed to run the gt ecu. The first and second generation coyotes in the F-150 and Mustang differ and compression ratio and cam profile. On the second gen coyotes the firing order is different between the two Motors. Also 2nd gen truck motors run density set up. Third gen Motors all has 12 to 1 compression with the dual fuel system but the firing order is different between the two. Also the F-150 continues with the speed density setup while the Mustang is mass air. I think there are one or two other minor differences and that is the bearing used in the motor other than that they're pretty much the same.

A set of Mustang GT 3rd Generation camshafts from just under $400 and I have confirmed that the intake manifolds are interchangeable between all generations. Now it wouldn't make much sense to go with the first or second generation intake manifold on the 3rd Generation motor, as my investigation leads me to believe that the 3rd generation stock intake manifold Falls in between the Boss 302 and GT350 manifold. I would say it's a bit closer see the GT350 manifold. In fact I believe the 2019 Bullitt Mustang is a third-generation coyote with the GT350 intake manifold. Again depending on the release dates of other supporting parts in particular camshafts that would dictate the final build of this motor but I am going to run the Cobra Jet intake manifold for sure

KingBlack

Established Member
Why are you fixed on a steel hood? I think foxes look wicked with a 2 1/2" cowl. I had weld draglites on my last fox. Loved the look.
It's a couple of things to be honest with you. Fiberglass just doesn't last like Steel. I've seen them fly off of Cars at normal speeds and they can crack and a lot more susceptible to environmental conditions than steel. Not only that my body man isn't too crazy about fiberglass and I'm not either. He does amazing work and I've been waiting 3 years for him to do the body of this car. Take into consideration that we were friends in high school and his job in high school was to work on cars at his dad's shop so he knows what he's doing. That's usually how it goes if you find someone that's a good body man you're going to be waiting to get work done or you're going to pay a small fortune to get it done sooner.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I’ve always read that CJ intakes won’t fit the 3rd gen coyote because of all the direct injection stuff. I’m not sure how much truth there is to that, so are there other 2018 5.0 guys successfully using CJ intakes already?

KingBlack

Established Member

BJCobra99

Established Member
Love this idea. What is your plan for the Cobra jet intake having compatibility issues with the automatic 10 speed? By Ford's link you provided, that part is for the manual transmission only.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

KingBlack

Established Member
Love this idea. What is your plan for the Cobra jet intake having compatibility issues with the automatic 10 speed? By Ford's link you provided, that part is for the manual transmission only.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app
A lot of this is a learn as you go process to be honest. A lot of the same things being said about gen 3 was said for gen 1, and the aftermarket figured it out.

we'll see is the best and most honest answer I can give you right now

Twisted2v

Established Member
A lot of this is a learn as you go process to be honest. A lot of the same things being said about gen 3 was said for gen 1, and the aftermarket figured it out.

we'll see is the best and most honest answer I can give you right now

Below on the FRPP site, it says it lacks an aspirator tube for the automatic.

Users who are viewing this thread