2017 GT350 Changes

Lemers

Established Member
So does this mean that track pack cars don't have a warranty?

"In the event the vehicle is intended for track use, and the loss of warranty coverage is not a concern, Ford Performance recommends the car is equipped with the Track Pack."

Found on page 46 of the supplement.

It seems to me that Ford can void track pack warranties.

krt22

Established Member
Because he puts his opinions above stats, facts, and actual information. That's why he is better.

A tech car can survive the occasional track day, based on the suspension and engineering that is already put into the car. Just as the mustang gt can as well. Where the track pack comes into play is cooling and getting the drivetrain ready to attack the track again with less down time. It's better conditioned for the track but being without it can't keep it off the track.
You should read the shit storm on the other forum about tech/base pack cars at the track

krt22

Established Member
So does this mean that track pack cars don't have a warranty?

"In the event the vehicle is intended for track use, and the loss of warranty coverage is not a concern, Ford Performance recommends the car is equipped with the Track Pack."

Found on page 46 of the supplement.

It seems to me that Ford can void track pack warranties.

If you run the car every other weekend at the track and end up blowing the motor after 20+ track days, I can see where ford might balk at a warranty repair. The warranty is to cover premature failures due to material or workmanship defects. Heavy track use will obviously accelerate wear and tear, so where to draw the line in the sand is not always an easy task.

And there is zero hatred for tech pack owners, just not everyone agrees that Ford someone majorly screwed up.

Last edited:

Lemers

Established Member
If you run the car every other weekend at the track and end up blowing the motor after 20+ track days, I can see where ford might balk at a warranty repair. The warranty is to cover premature failures due to material or workmanship defects. Heavy track use will obviously accelerate wear and tear, so where to draw the line in the sand is not always an easy task.

And there is zero hatred for tech pack owners, just not everyone agrees that Ford someone majorly screwed up.

Where are you getting those numbers from? Looks like as soon as the car in any configuration hits a track the warranty is void. Ford is saying that if you bought a track package then warranty wasn't an issue to begin with.

krt22

Established Member
Where are you getting those numbers from? Looks like as soon as the car in any configuration hits a track the warranty is void. Ford is saying that if you bought a track package then warranty wasn't an issue to begin with.
I didn't get them from anywhere, I'm going off past experience and just trying to say it's not a black and white answer. And the way I read the manual I didn't interpret it as if you take it to the track your warranty is void. The burden of proof is still on Ford if you have a major defect. One or two track days a year likely won't cause any issues, but if you are doing 20+ days a year and blow a motor, expecting a warranty repair is extremely optimistic. If you track any car enough, eventually things start to break, and big high horsepower cars certainly aren't immune to that fact.

The track pack excerpt sounds to me like it's aimed at folks building dedicated track cars, in which case many already modify the car in such a way it voids the warranty, but I do think that section is a bit ambiguous and not really well written.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Actually the burden of proof lies on you. Ford will void your warranty and if you disagree you need to go after them. Ford does not have to prove what caused the break malfunction prior to them voiding the warranty.

Lemers

Established Member
As far as burden of proof in a civil case it's on "likely to have caused the problem". A much lower burden than criminal, and besides if you sue ford they are the defendant. That means the burden is on you.
What would be your argument?

Ford will argue that driving on a track causes greater than normal wear and tear on a vehicle.

That the warranty excludes track use (although you would make your above argument there)

Ford has already pulled any Data they can from your car to prove the harsh driving conditions at greater than legal street limits.

Ford will bring in all the test data they have on every part and match it with the data of you car to show that you've likely exceeded it.

As far as aimed at people building dedicated track cars? Isn't that what the track package is for? A track car. Also, used the same verbiage of the option they provide but don't sell separately. I believe it was aimed directly at the people who bought a track package car.

It's normal to void warranties for track use. People who bought a track package should've known that their cars wouldn't be covered by a warranty once they track it.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Yes let's continue ****ing with the one person on this person that knows more than anyone else on this forum about this car.

Lots of tact there.

1) I give zero ****s about e-bros and who/what they "know."
2) If you pay ****ing attention, I didn't say shit to his ass. He offered up his unsolicited and unprovoked dig, and I responded. You e-bros are like robots. The only thing you can process is what other e-bros say. Get some lives.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Guys. Relax.

Take your slicks off, clean the wheel wells, remove the chalk from the window...and take it to your local dealer.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
As far as burden of proof in a civil case it's on "likely to have caused the problem". A much lower burden than criminal, and besides if you sue ford they are the defendant. That means the burden is on you.

Ford will argue that driving on a track causes greater than normal wear and tear on a vehicle.

That the warranty excludes track use (although you would make your above argument there)

Ford has already pulled any Data they can from your car to prove the harsh driving conditions at greater than legal street limits.

Ford will bring in all the test data they have on every part and match it with the data of you car to show that you've likely exceeded it.

As far as aimed at people building dedicated track cars? Isn't that what the track package is for? A track car. Also, used the same verbiage of the option they provide but don't sell separately. I believe it was aimed directly at the people who bought a track package car.

It's normal to void warranties for track use. People who bought a track package should've known that their cars wouldn't be covered by a warranty once they track it.

Ford has been successfully sued in the past for denial of warranty repair based solely on how they marketed the car. It was either the '00 Cobra or the '03 Cobra. Somebody blew their engine doing shenanigans, tried to get warranty repair, Ford voided the warranty, the person sued Ford. In court, he [his lawyer] showed a Cobra brochure with pictures of a Cobra doing smokey burnouts. Ford lost. He got a new engine.

Ford would have a hard time with a defense of "Well, we built this track car, but it's not really a track car. We just tell people that for marketing purposes. It's really only meant for spirited driving on country roads."

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Ford has been successfully sued in the past for denial of warranty repair based solely on how they marketed the car. It was either the '00 Cobra or the '03 Cobra. Somebody blew their engine doing shenanigans, tried to get warranty repair, Ford voided the warranty, the person sued Ford. In court, he [his lawyer] showed a Cobra brochure with pictures of a Cobra doing smokey burnouts. Ford lost. He got a new engine.

Ford would have a hard time with a defense of "Well, we built this track car, but it's not really a track car. We just tell people that for marketing purposes. It's really only meant for spirited driving on country roads."

Ford shows the S550 doing smokey burnouts on video with the line lock, but I believe it you use it the warranty is void. I could be mistaken.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd venture to guess after that lawsuit they have a line in the owner's manual that says something like "this vehicle is not a purpose-track built vehicle."

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I'd venture to guess after that lawsuit they have a line in the owner's manual that says something like "this vehicle is not a purpose-track built vehicle."

No doubt. That's why that excerpt that was posted is so ambiguous. They might be able to get away with voiding the warranty, but they could still get sued for false advertising. Also keep in mind that companies will put clauses on their products that have no hope of standing up in court. It's just a first line deterrent tactic to discourage people from suing. And it works most of the time.

krt22

Established Member

You are free to interpret it as you wish. My above statement that its not always black and white still stands.

The same goes with insurance for on track incidents. In some cases there is coverage and sometimes there is not, but it really depends on the circumstances.

Lemers

Established Member
You are free to interpret it as you wish. My above statement that its not always black and white still stands.

The same goes with insurance for on track incidents. In some cases there is coverage and sometimes there is not, but it really depends on the circumstances.

Well I like how all your interpretations support your situations.

The GT350 is only a track car if it has a "track package"

ford isn't identifying "track package" as the "track package" offered with the GT350.

Ford's warranty does get voided for track use.

Keep up your one sided (your side) view points while using your "expert interpretations" as supporting facts

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Ford shows the S550 doing smokey burnouts on video with the line lock, but I believe it you use it the warranty is void. I could be mistaken.

I was at the Woodward dream cruise in 2014 when Dave Pericak did a big smokey burnout to demonstrate line lock, and someone said "you just voided the warranty" and he said no "no I didn't, that is a misconception. We wouldnt pUt it on the car if we didn't intend for you to use it."

krt22

Established Member
Well I like how all your interpretations support your situations.

The GT350 is only a track car if it has a "track package"

ford isn't identifying "track package" as the "track package" offered with the GT350.

Ford's warranty does get voided for track use.

Keep up your one sided (your side) view points while using your "expert interpretations" as supporting facts

I understand your frustration with the situation, but trying to vilify me and my view points isn't really productive, you seem highly defensive (which is very understandable) and taking any input from others as an attack, when that really couldn't be farther from the truth. You see to take this if we arent with you, that we are against you, which just isnt the case.

I have tracked street vehicles and tracked fully dedicated track builds, my expectations of manufacturers warranty (and insurance coverage) varied in each case since its really not possible to group the two together. I never claimed to be an expert, just gave my interpretation of a pretty ambiguous statement. Like I said, you are free to draw your own conclusions, but I don't agree with your blanket statement that any track use will automatically void the warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread