2016 Shelby GT350 is R&T's Performance Car of the Year

bpmurr

Established Member
Last edited:

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a27194/road-track-2016-performance-car-of-the-year/

Nice write up on all the cars. Exciting to see the R win. With that said I want to meet the guy DBK knows that can run 11.7 in the 1/4 mile with a stock R. Two reviews now with blah straight line speed from the GT350 and R respectively. I know track car...

Which one? More than 1 person has run 11.70s in the car. Are you really gonna take as gospel a magazine test in which a Viper runs a best of 11.6 and a Z06 a best of 11.5?

jtfx6552

Established Member
Cool that they actually preferred the GT350.

4 seconds a lap slower than the Z06 and Viper.

R&T 1/4 mile times are always the worst.

bpmurr

Established Member
Which one? More than 1 person has run 11.70s in the car. Are you really gonna take as gospel a magazine test in which a Viper runs a best of 11.6 and a Z06 a best of 11.5?

Yeah after doing some research they're on the high side as well. I still don't seen a 11.7 though, but look forward to someone doing it.

Last edited:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member

I'd say the 2.1 60' wasn't doing the GT350 any favors.

Voltwings

Established Member
One look at that track clearly tells you it favors horsepower, so the fact that the GT350r can hold its own against all the other lighter and more powerful cars speaks volumes.

Last edited:

krt22

Established Member
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a27194/road-track-2016-performance-car-of-the-year/

Nice write up on all the cars. Exciting to see the R win. With that said I want to meet the guy DBK knows that can run 11.7 in the 1/4 mile with a stock R. Two reviews now with blah straight line speed from the GT350 and R respectively. I know track car...

Slap a blower on your GT or pick up another GT500 and call it a day, really getting old hearing you belly ache about 2 performance metrics that this car was not designed around. Its a track car, period, not your cup of tea obviously if you still cant understand how much this car has to offer for the price point.

krt22

Established Member
The ACR seems terrifying.

Awesome the R ran away with it.

Any car with that much aero is indeed terrifying. Just imagine if you make an error and get the car unsettled and all that downforce keeping the car planted goes away at speed.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Any track times from this test?
tracktimes.jpg

westwest888

GT350R convert
Established Member
I think the base GT350 would beat the Cayman GT4 in this comparo. To me the AMG GT gets seconds second place, and the Viper ACR third place.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
+1

I skimmed through the article and it says the best they could do (editors):
RT said:
I'M NOT A NERVOUS PASSENGER, but when SRT's Chris Winkler shifts into fifth at the same place I normally hit the brakes and turns what I consider a 110-mph right-hander into a 135-mph no-brake right-hander by hucking the steering wheel of the Viper ACR as hard as he can and letting the massive rear wing sort out the stability, I have to work very hard not to vomit. Nominally speaking, the man is here to put on the front splitter and air the tires, but it seemed churlish to not let him show off his new toy for us.

"The process can be more violent than most people are used to," Winkler notes without the slightest bit of irony to his tone, "but with the wide Kumho virtual race slicks and all the aero grip available, it's typically the fastest way around." When it's my turn to drive the ACR, I simply cannot do what Winkler does. My brain won't let me. It cannot believe in the wing.

Yet I'm still faster in the Viper than I am in anything else, and so is the boss man, who turns a 1:58.14 in his sessions without too much hassle.
This explains how the C7Z at the same capable hands (average driver) is able to wring out close times to the ACR. Also, added to the fact that the C7Z has electronic driving aids that will save your ass.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I don't think the AMG fits in this group of cars at all. It's sheer HP probably saved it on the track times because there are quite a few straights on that track to really open up the speed. (truth be told, I hate the way the AMG GT looks)

Users who are viewing this thread