2015+ SRT 392 Challengers

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
You're right! We're really spoiled. I was thinking about the 2019 Edge ST with 335hp/380tq from the factory, and that seems "low" compared to higher performance vehicles available. Then I remembered that the original Road Runners (1968-1970 made 335hp (brake)/425tq. The Hellcat Challenger makes well over twice the horsepower of the Road Runner 383 base engine. Squashes the mighty Road Runner Hemi and 440-6 as well. The horsepower days are in their prime. Hopefully that won't change any time soon.
People chalk up the 60's and early 70's as the golden era of Muscle. I say bullshit, its right now! Sure it took the Big 3 a few decades to figure out airflow and fuel injection. But holy shit.. so many ways to make power now.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
People chalk up the 60's and early 70's as the golden era of Muscle. I say bullshit, its right now! Sure it took the Big 3 a few decades to figure out airflow and fuel injection. But holy shit.. so many ways to make power now.

Style and Feel bro.

That hollow thump, the noodle chassis, the actual chrome and steel.

Those cars look amazing and are terrifying to drive. From 1972 it took over 30 years to actually see “fast” stock muscle cars again and nearly 40 years to see a HP war.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
They definitely will always have more soul. But the next generation of kids may be saying that about our cars in 20 years. Its all relative. Except for the terrifying part. My 70 Chevelle with big block torqued so hard once it popped the dash pad into my lap. Ill chalk that one up to body on frame technology. Lmao, Body by Fisher? no... body by "You gonna learn today".

I prefer the refinement of the current crop of performance cars.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I still see the 15+ Chally 392's going for mid $30's here. To me, that's similarly used Gen2 CTSV range, which is a better buy IMO. Having recently been in my buddies CTSV Coupe that runs 10.5s, id say that car is easily reminiscent of the potential and feel the 03/04's had when they first came out.

Couldn't agree more with this post. Wendy(wife) keeps saying to get rid of our coupe as it sits A LOT, but it is such a great car and fun to drive. Much more the feel of the 03/04 than the S197 GT500 will ever be, and I've had two of them.

Now back to the 392 cars. Had a 15 SRT392 Charger for about 3-4 months, bought it used. It drove great, better than the HC as the steering is too heavy in the HC. It sounded better through the exhaust than the HC probably due to the higher compression. It was fairly quick, but nowhere near what the HC has been able to do. If you're thinking of doing any mods, just save the dough and go straight to a used HC. You'll thank me.

roadracer247

Established Member
I’ve driven a 392 Challenger. I really liked it. It was a manual. Definitely a fun ride. Everyone I’ve met with one loves them! Lots of them running around town. Makes sense since we live within 20 minutes of Travis AFB. Anyway I’d buy one, but there’s no way with a 18 month old, while trying for a second. Screw trying to get car seats and kids in and out of a two door...

Best I can hope for is a newer Land Cruiser to take the family out on some 4x4 road trips. Good luck in your decision!

Users who are viewing this thread