2015 F150 18" vs 20" wheels

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Just looking to get opinions.

Long story short dealer messed up a one of my rims (stock) mounting a tire. They are now offering a set of (4) 20s from a Platinum. Tempted to just take them and sell them depending on how bad the damaged rim is.

I don't go off-roading just a daily. Curious if there are downsides to the 20's. If I wanted to switch. I believe they are 1" wider too. Annoying part is I have 4 new tires waiting to go on that wouldn't fit now.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I find it odd that instead of offering to replace the damage rim they are offering 4 brand new 20" wheels? Sound pretty back asswords to me but id take the 20s

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
they probably have a stack of 20's ready to go and they wanna convince you to take them.

i went from 20's to 18's and it was the best decision i could've made.

20's are heavier and the ride is worse. I hook up way better with the 18's.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I find it odd that instead of offering to replace the damage rim they are offering 4 brand new 20" wheels? Sound pretty back asswords to me but id take the 20s

they probably have a stack of 20's ready to go and they wanna convince you to take them.

i went from 20's to 18's and it was the best decision i could've made.

20's are heavier and the ride is worse. I hook up way better with the 18's.

The rim they damaged was a replacement for the rim they messed up Saturday...

And yeah I'd imagine they have a set laying around and it's cheaper and easier for them to offer them vs ordering another. They offered to order another 18" if I wanted too.

I was thinking if the rim isn't bad I'd just sell the 20's and end up on top. But then I'd have to go through trying to find a buyer and what not.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I much prefer 18s for function and form. If you stay mostly on pavement and use a P rated tire 20s will be fine. I see a lot of gravel roads and like having the extra tire there as well as on pavement jmo

PC03GT

Established Member
I have 18's, my father in law has 20's on his F150, imo the 18's ride much smoother

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I'm always shopping take off's for my 06' F150, that's how I got the last 2 sets of tires for my truck. Those 20"platinums with new tires would fetch $800-1000 in my area, i'd take them for sure and sell.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
I had an STX with 18’s a few years ago, and got a good deal on a set of black FX4 wheels and tires, 20 inch.

the wider tires made the truck handle better IMO.

I’d run them in the summer, and put the stock 18’s back on for the winter.

I think it just comes down to a matter of personal preference. I’d at least take them from the dealer, mount them up and see how you like the look and ride before you decide to sell them or not.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I had an STX with 18’s a few years ago, and got a good deal on a set of black FX4 wheels and tires, 20 inch.

the wider tires made the truck handle better IMO.

I’d run them in the summer, and put the stock 18’s back on for the winter.

I think it just comes down to a matter of personal preference. I’d at least take them from the dealer, mount them up and see how you like the look and ride before you decide to sell them or not.

There is the catch, they don't have tires on them. So I'd have to exchange the KO2s I have sitting in the warehouse for 20's to find out if I like them. Tempted to take the rims and worst case I want to keep the 18's I'll just have the damage fixed and sell the 20s.

Would be going from this:
wnFk54yeDmwloChGkQeztbxn8S279B1e9CXYk_IMvWQ-M1T26ZGWZRjQvt70SM8l0uWMMuo_eqNondkDNJxCOi2wVvZp6KWA.jpg

To This:
30b040d68ec91237961f938f3f4e0342.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/30/b0/40/30b040d68ec91237961f938f3f4e0342.jpg

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
So I took the rims, figure out where I'll go from here. Honestly the one they messed up (this time) is barely noticeable. Gotta think if I want the 18s or 20s and get my new tires on. Honestly just a tuned DD and might like the steering feel of the 20s vs the 18s since it only sees dirt once every few years. Keep saying I'd like to take it on the beach but owned a 150 for 5 years and never got a pass soooo not that important to me in reality I guess. Appreciate the input from all.

Either way come out on top. Huge headache but the one manager was really good about it so nothing to say bad about the dealership. Entry level mechs are trash these days.

Users who are viewing this thread