2015 Eco Boost Explorer, is tuner worth it?

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I picked up the wife a 15 Eco Boost back in May,and I was wondering if putting a tuner on it is worth it, I only have access to 91 here also. She gave me the green light to do what ever I wanted to it. I've been bored since I finished up the Cobra.

It's black and all I've got done so far is powder coating the wheels black it came out good. I was thinking tuner, exhaust, and maybe some H&R lowering springs. I'm just curious if the tuner will yield any better mileage.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Completely worth it. The Livernois 91 tune (I have both but never have installed the 93) on my SHO completely changed the car. Transmission shifts lightning fast and the down low tq is amazing.

Regardless of which engine you have (4 or 6 ecoboost) it really makes a difference. Check out the videos on YouTube from Livernois (or other tuners)

Edit: if its the 6 I would recommend going with the CAI/3 bar sensor kit while youre at it.

Last edited:

SHOdown220

Established Member
I vote yes to tuners all day long. I put an sct tuner with Bama tune on my 06 gt and I was very happy with the results. I ran mine on the dyno with factory tune vs 93 octane tune back to back. Its been a few years ago so i can't remember exact numbers but it picked up something like 20 horse and 25 lbs/ft if I remember correctly. Mid range torque was greatly improved I think something like 45 lbs/ft picked up around 3500 rpm. It was very impressive and this was on a intake/exhaust NA motor I know the turbo motors pick up more. It also reduced the electronic throttle lag to almost nothing. 93 octane "race" tune didn't yield real impressive mpg improvements but I drove it hard. I did however swap to a 87 tune before a beach trip and that yielded 26 mpg on the trip

Last edited:

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Completely worth it. The Livernois 91 tune (I have both but never have installed the 93) on my SHO completely changed the car. Transmission shifts lightning fast and the down low tq is amazing.

Regardless of which engine you have (4 or 6 ecoboost) it really makes a difference. Check out the videos on YouTube from Livernois (or other tuners)

Edit: if its the 6 I would recommend going with the CAI/3 bar sensor kit while youre at it.

I guess I should have mentioned its the 3.5, this is good to hear. I have looked at the videos just wanted some real world reviews. I guess I better check out what the 3 bar sensor kit is, cause I don't know what that is.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I guess I should have mentioned its the 3.5, this is good to hear. I have looked at the videos just wanted some real world reviews. I guess I better check out what the 3 bar sensor kit is, cause I don't know what that is.

The there bar sensor replaces the 2 bar. This allows better control on the tune. Supposedly the stock tune can already spike above 2 bar let alone a aftermarket tune. Basically the three bar allows them to be more aggressive safely.

Livernois offers a CAI, thermostat, and tuner/tune kit for the SHO and I'm guessing explorer too. Add the three bar in the order and specify on tune instructions you want a 91 and 93 tune with 3 bar.

I can't say enough good about them. The tuner is hassle free, the CAI fit like a glove, and the tune is hiccup free. The car has loads of tq down low and launches twice as hard as stock. MPG did not noticeably change, except if I get too aggressive on the go pedal too many times.

Edit: I think the Explorer has the same basic drive train as the SHO/tarurus line? If so you Wang to change the PTU fluid early and often, tune or no tune. At 26k on stock tune my fluid came out black and gritty, despite Ford claiming it's a lifetime fluid. U need a evac pump (like a hand vac pump) to get it out.

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
mid 13's at 100mph with the 93 octane tune. 310-320whp and 380-390wtq. do it. you wont regret it.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
These ecoboost are amazing. Seeing livernois make 390/480 on a 100% stock but toned 93 octane f150 is insane. Stock intake, exhaust etc is amazing.

T56LS102

Established Member
If I am not mistaken, the 2015 / 2016 ford edge with the 2.7 eb is faster then the explorer sport, crazy sense its a smaller motor..most likely it has a big weight difference..

o2gt

Established Member
Do the Eco boost 3.5 f150's make more power with a tune than the explorers do? I know the engine is the same but it seems the dyno higher. Is it because you can dyno a rwd f150 and explorer Is awd?

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Do the Eco boost 3.5 f150's make more power with a tune than the explorers do? I know the engine is the same but it seems the dyno higher. Is it because you can dyno a rwd f150 and explorer Is awd?

I have read that the trucks use different turbos than the SHO and I don't know if the Explorer shares the same turbos as the trucks or SHO's. I also think because of the rear drive layout for the trucks that they are a little more efficient than the FWD based Explorer.

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
If I am not mistaken, the 2015 / 2016 ford edge with the 2.7 eb is faster then the explorer sport, crazy sense its a smaller motor..most likely it has a big weight difference..
The Edge Sport is fast but not Explorer Sport fast. My wife's truck is quick and from a 40 roll was neck and neck with my Fiesta ST. Only mods to both were k&n drop in filters. Id assume mid to high 14's for the Edge Sport in stock form. Tuned, it could more than likely dip into the 13's. 1st and 2nd have huge torque truncation in the stock tune.

2000gt4.6

Established Member

The AWD system does not do well on the dyno testing for some reason. The truck turbos are different but akot of its the dyno.

SHOs dyno like 290 who stock or some crap

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Drove the SHO today home from the glass place (still broken) on the stock tune. I could not believe the difference in the transmission . The lag at the top of each gear was much worse than I remeber.

Users who are viewing this thread