2014 WITH Michelin super sport review

sftdyna

Established Member
If any of you are on the fence about using the 295 35 20 super sports its time to pull the trigger. First of all they appear to be about two inches wider, im sure its less but there so wide they just fit the 9.5 wheel! Im using 275 40 19 in the front and there also a bit wider then the goodyears but nothing compared to the rears. The rears sit almost flush with the wheel wells but dont touch at stock height. The 105Y spec shows the with at 12 inches which is wider then the 101Y so thats what i went for, and im happy i did. I put 150 miles on them to get a good feel so i could present a good review and i must say they have transformed my shelby! first of all the car no longer has that bouncy ride it actually feels smooth now and stays in lane no wandering at all. That in its self had me sold. As far as handling goes the car no longer understeers due to tires not being hot enough, these stay put even cold and i now have total confidence in pushing the car threw turns. Now im sure everyone want to hear what great traction they have when pushing the go peddle so here it is!! they BITE HARD!!!! I can not believe what a difference there is compared to the goodyears, if they weren't hot as hell they spun like you were on ice! with the super sports 5 min of driving and they really grab hard. yes, they still spin but nothing compared to the goodyears. So for you guys that want to have your cake and eat it to the michelin super sports are for you!!

Last edited:

AUSVT

Established Member
good review.. i was trying to find a set in the stock size for my BOSS 302 for track events this year... but they are on national back order for the rears.. Once my GT500 arrives, i'll definitely be upgrading the tires!

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
I believe it. I had Michelin Pilot Sport Cups on my modded C6Z. Even with 560 rwhp, you could put the pedal through the floor in second with zero wheel-spin. That car left like a bat out of hell. I wouldn't commit to the terrible tread-wear of the Sport Cups again, but the Super Sports will definitely be my replacement tires once the GYs wear out.

440sprint

Established Member
Welcome to the club! There's a bunch of us who converted from the OEM Goodyears to those sizes of Michelin PSS's for traction & SAFETY.

sftdyna

Established Member
Welcome to the club! There's a bunch of us who converted from the OEM Goodyears to those sizes of Michelin PSS's for traction & SAFETY.

What a difference. Im thinking it would have been nice if ford gave us a wider rim as the SS command at least a 10 inch rim! The larger size in the front works perfectly on the stock wheel but you can see a real difference in the way the rear fit. Honestly im so happy in the way it transformed just the ride of the car i could give a crap less if they were ripping the quarter panels off!! I honestly thought there was something wrong with my sport mode when i first drove on these tires, before if you put the car in sport mode it would immediately get stiff and bouncy, way to much for the crappy NY roads, even the normal mode felt a little bouncy to me, but now i can barely feel a difference in either mode. Hell im still wondering if sport mode is still working.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Nice review! I read the Goodyear/Bridgestone/Michelin/Toyo comparison on TireRack. Looks like the PSS's offer less road noise, better ride comfort, better steering response, higher lateral Gs, and better tread wear.

The only areas the Goodyears were better were on wet performance and braking distance. This was on a BMW 328 with different weight distribution. I've been toying around with the idea of having a set shipped in to the dealership and having them swapped on before I take possession and then just calling a local tire shop and selling the Goodyears with 8 miles on them same day for 1k or so.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice review. I just had Michelin SS installed on my AMG and I'll be driving it Monday with great tires and 2# more boost, can't wait!
-J

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Great info, OP. Thanks for sharing!

I was headed the PSS direction, until I heard about the Pilot Sport A/S 3 Michelin is scheduled to release in July. (An ironic time to release an ALL SEASON tire, but I digress.) Since we have a significant number of nice (but cold) days throughout the winter, I'm waiting to see how good (or not) the AS3s are before I decide which ones go on the Shelby...

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
I had them on my 2012 w/ Forgestar F14s .. I'll have them on this car as well. I absolutely loved the tires!!

Crowley

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
If weather permits i will be taking a ride down to captree in the AM and maybe i can put them threw the test! See if you can make it im not staying long got to do the mothers day thing.

haven't been there in years... In Montauk for tonight. Let me know if hear something about the photo shoot.. thanks

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Am I seeing this right that the price is $500 for each tire?!?!

I paid $416 for the rears and $338 for the front through tire rack for the pilot super sports. 295 in rear 275 in front. Turns out these run .5" narrower than the stock good years, so bumping up one size basically keeps the stock rim/contact widths with a very minor increase in tire height. I think it was like 10 or 11 revs per mile, not enough to measurably impact the speedo.

sftdyna

Established Member
I paid $416 for the rears and $338 for the front through tire rack for the pilot super sports. 295 in rear 275 in front. Turns out these run .5" narrower than the stock good years, so bumping up one size basically keeps the stock rim/contact widths with a very minor increase in tire height. I think it was like 10 or 11 revs per mile, not enough to measurably impact the speedo.

The 295 105y were 399 +shipping the 275 were 300. I found the 275 fronts to be close to the exact width as the 265 also, but the 295 105y rears are huge!!!! There actually so wide they barely fit the 9.5 inch rim. If someone is good at posting pics i can send full pics to there email and perhaps they could post them!

Users who are viewing this thread