2014 trackpack oil type brand and weight

2014gttrackpack

Established Member
what brand and weight of oil should I use and how many quarts do I need to used with a filter in a 2014 mustang gt w/the track pack? temp range from -4 to 105 degrees. I may drag race it a dozen times a year. about to do my first oil change UNLEASHED BEAST>>>>>>>>>>>>

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
The Track Pack calls for 5w50, with just over 8 quart capacity with the oil cooler. I know I will get flack for this, but I used the Motorcraft 5w50 with a FL-500S on my first change at 5,000 miles. I will keep using it through the warranty period so there are no issues whatsoever. Amsoil 10w40 and Mobil 1 0W40 are other popular oils on the Track Pack.

14GTBrembo

Established Member
MC 5W-50 syn. oil has a viscosity of 136 at 104 F and 21 at 212 F. Pretty damn high. Not very good lubrication when cold. MC syn. blend 5W-20 recommended for all others except Boss is vis. of 8.7 at 212 F and 50 at 104 F. I have seen graphs of vis. vs temp and down near freezing the vis. goes up into the hundreds (have a vague recollection of the viscosity at 0 F being 500).

So to me, 5W-50 for a DD in colder weather makes no sense. Track days yes, especially if its hot . I think I will use 5W-30 or 10W-30 full syn. for DD and occasional track days. I have the Boss 302 oil cooler. Mine is a summer only car.

2014gttrackpack

Established Member
Oil change on a 2014 track pack car

How do you drain all the oil out of the oil cooler? And how many quarts does it hold?

by9468840

Established Member
oh i was thinking of doing my oil change in the next few weeks. Never thought of the oil cooler i installed (boss302 oil cooler). Im interested in this too. How can I drain the oil out of it?

87hatchy

Established Member
Everytime an oil thread comes up there is so much bullshit. My recommendation is....

For brand, use Amsoil

For viscosity, just use what your owners manual suggests. You can't go wrong with it. Your not going to damage your engine. Ford wouldn't recommend it if it was bad. I know the Track Pack cars say to use 5w50 and "regular" GTs say to use 5w20. use either of those or a 5w30 or 10w30. Nothing wrong with any of those viscositys. You'll be fine. You'll live. Your car will live. You don't need some big scientific breakdown of all kinds of shit.

If you drive it when its cold, just don't start it with the gas pedal on the floor bouncing it off the rev limiter. let the car warm up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread