2014 mustang gt clutch failure

2nd gen

Established Member
Hey everyone, will start with something we all know when we shift at high rpms when clutch pedal gets stuck pressed all the way in for at least a second or two or untill the rpms drop below 5500-5700rpms. It started becoming worse and happening more often untill one day it was just stuck in the same position and I couldnt even shift it at all, had to tow the vehicle to the dealer and I receive a call the next day stating my warranty will not cover the clutch cause the car is 1.5 years old and it has 30000kms on it, however I have purchased a ford plan that actually covers wear items and clutch disk as well (ford maintanance protection plan) which after a long debate and arguing with the dealer they acknowledge it and said yes its covered apparently, but your car is lowered and has aftermarket shifter so we will not do anything about it. I have explained to them that shifter and suspension have no correlation to it whatsoever, cause its separate system/mechanism on its own. I have argued and bickered about this for 2 days, asking them to provide me the reason in written format to escalate things further and for me to have some type of record but with no success. Since I had no luck at my dealer and I wasnt about to waste any more days on towing the car to the other dealers and wasting time on rental due to work schedule etc I decided to buy an aftermarket clutch kit and I found one locally so I pulled the trigger and car was ready in 2 days but allmost 1200 in expenses for work and clutch kit! I ended up placing a call to Ford Canada to solve what should have been dealt with before by my dealer in professional manner, now I have been waiting for 2 weeks and I have yet to receive any call from them.
Now to what happened with a clutch, I originally thought that either bearing went on it or a pressure plate, but to my surprise the spring in the clutch plate itself was torn out which explains that this clutch discs are too weak for our power levels as I have seen couple allready that had clutch face disintegrated which is a total crap.
Thanks for reading everyone and let me know if there is anything I have missed.

soSincerious

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your situation. I know its a common issue with these MT82's and I can see why you would think to take it to the dealer, especially with the full extended warranty you purchased, I'm surprised they didn't cover it.

More and more I wish I got an auto. These transmissions can be a pain to deal with ... This coming from a honda guy that was spoiled with brilliant manual gearboxes. Then again I never made much power so ...

It's a tough line to ride, drive it smooth and enjoy the nice ride and keep the lady next to you comfy and destroy your clutch prematurely or keep slip to a minimum and live with a bit of shift shock but try to make your clutch last longer

I wonder what the average stock clutch life is among us N/A guys

BrianH87

Established Member
I actually think the stock clutch is pretty good for stock. Quite a few of us running around with big power on the stock clutch still. The transmission itself... That's another story.

evanjp

Established Member
I was in the same boat as you, but my dealer actually did something about the problem. I complained of a hissing noise coming from the clutch which I thought was the slave cylinder. After they opened up my transmission, they found a broken spring in the disc material grinding against the pressure plate. My dealer made me pay only 250 bucks for a new slave, pressure plate and disc, and my car is running amazing. They're definitely screwing with you. I have 45000 miles on my car and they helped me out with it in a big way, there was 1500 dollars of work and parts done to my car.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
Hey everyone, will start with something we all know when we shift at high rpms when clutch pedal gets stuck pressed all the way in for at least a second or two or until the rpms drop below 5500-5700 rpms. It started becoming worse and happening more often until one day it was just stuck in the same position and I couldn't even shift it at all, had to tow the vehicle to the dealer and I receive a call the next day stating my warranty will not cover the clutch cause the car is 1.5 years old and it has 30000kms on it, however I have purchased a ford plan that actually covers wear items and clutch disk as well (ford maintenance protection plan) which after a long debate and arguing with the dealer they acknowledge it and said yes its covered apparently, but your car is lowered and has aftermarket shifter so we will not do anything about it. I have explained to them that shifter and suspension have no correlation to it whatsoever, cause its separate system/mechanism on its own. I have argued and bickered about this for 2 days, asking them to provide me the reason in written format to escalate things further and for me to have some type of record but with no success. Since I had no luck at my dealer and I wasn't about to waste any more days on towing the car to the other dealers and wasting time on rental due to work schedule etc I decided to buy an aftermarket clutch kit and I found one locally so I pulled the trigger and car was ready in 2 days but almost 1200 in expenses for work and clutch kit! I ended up placing a call to Ford Canada to solve what should have been dealt with before by my dealer in professional manner, now I have been waiting for 2 weeks and I have yet to receive any call from them.
Now to what happened with a clutch, I originally thought that either bearing went on it or a pressure plate, but to my surprise the spring in the clutch plate itself was torn out which explains that this clutch discs are too weak for our power levels as I have seen couple already that had clutch face disintegrated which is a total crap.
Thanks for reading everyone and let me know if there is anything I have missed.
Be sure to PM our FordServiceCA Rep with your VIN, dealer, odometer reading, best daytime number, and a link to this post for further assistance, 2nd gen.

Vancouver bc canada? which dealer did you go to?

Deysha, where are you?
Thanks for the mention, dc2r! However, I don’t work on weekends.

Deysha

2nd gen

Established Member
Sorry everyone for not being able to respond in timely manner. I took the car to Metro ford in Port Coquitlam which was a worst mistake ever, but then it's also a 5 min drive from me so I wouldn't want to waste an hour driving to brown bros which I'd prefer!
So back to the story and ford of Canada experience. After not having any rep call me back for 2 weeks I decided to call them and find out where I was standing at. As per rep and supervisor They are not willing to do anything about it as car is modified as per dealership which in turn caused the part to fail, however how would you diagnose a problem without actually digging in further without actually opening a tranny, cause let's be honest it could have been multitude of issues. For all I know they could have blamed an aftermarket rims for change in geometry also lol, just a good excuse to alleviate any type of repair and not acting on behalf of a customer.
I have brought it up to a supervisors attention that I will be taking a clutch disk to one of the dealers for their opinion and when I asked will it be covered then if they find a blame to be a clutch disk she didn't give a concrete yes or no! Now that I called the dealership and asked them to inspect the disk to rule out the cause of the failure they stated "even if it's the clutch that has failed due to defect on its own ford won't cover an aftermarket clutch cause they will only install ford genuine product" they also informed me that I should have taken the car to other dealer before doing any repairs, but it wasn't driveable and I wasn't about to waste any more days, so now they are telling me that it's also might be my mistake for not being proactive.
Just upsetting with the fact that I have spend 4900$ for that stupid fm pop plan that is a complete garbage other than 10 oil changes and tire rotations!!! Thanks all for replies and reading

2nd gen

Established Member
Clutch

Hey Deysha should I pm you or someone else? I am not sure how to attach the link, however I could provide the rest of the details vin etc! Thanks in advance

FordService

Established Member
Hey Deysha should I pm you or someone else? I am not sure how to attach the link, however I could provide the rest of the details vin etc! Thanks in advance
Since you’re in Canada, please PM our FordServiceCA Rep, 2nd gen. You can copy and paste the link into the message.

Deysha

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Sorry everyone for not being able to respond in timely manner. I took the car to Metro ford in Port Coquitlam which was a worst mistake ever, but then it's also a 5 min drive from me so I wouldn't want to waste an hour driving to brown bros which I'd prefer!
So back to the story and ford of Canada experience. After not having any rep call me back for 2 weeks I decided to call them and find out where I was standing at. As per rep and supervisor They are not willing to do anything about it as car is modified as per dealership which in turn caused the part to fail, however how would you diagnose a problem without actually digging in further without actually opening a tranny, cause let's be honest it could have been multitude of issues. For all I know they could have blamed an aftermarket rims for change in geometry also lol, just a good excuse to alleviate any type of repair and not acting on behalf of a customer.
I have brought it up to a supervisors attention that I will be taking a clutch disk to one of the dealers for their opinion and when I asked will it be covered then if they find a blame to be a clutch disk she didn't give a concrete yes or no! Now that I called the dealership and asked them to inspect the disk to rule out the cause of the failure they stated "even if it's the clutch that has failed due to defect on its own ford won't cover an aftermarket clutch cause they will only install ford genuine product" they also informed me that I should have taken the car to other dealer before doing any repairs, but it wasn't driveable and I wasn't about to waste any more days, so now they are telling me that it's also might be my mistake for not being proactive.
Just upsetting with the fact that I have spend 4900$ for that stupid fm pop plan that is a complete garbage other than 10 oil changes and tire rotations!!! Thanks all for replies and reading

You realize you can cancel that $4900 plan right?

2nd gen

Established Member
Even if I allready paid in full I can still cancell it? Please how do I go about it? Thanks

So I called ford and apparently this plan can't be cancelled, only if the car is a write off or I am selling it and buying else.
Deysha can I ask you to escalate this issue with ford Canada and I will just send ya all the info?

Beernuts

Established Member
So I called ford and apparently this plan can't be cancelled, only if the car is a write off or I am selling it and buying else.
Deysha can I ask you to escalate this issue with ford Canada and I will just send ya all the info?

Unless the Plan terms and conditions are different in Canada, that is complete BS.

"12. CANCELLATION AND REFUND
(A) YOUR RIGHT TO CANCEL THIS AGREEMENT AND RECEIVE A REFUND:
(1) If the Selling Dealer receives a written cancellation request, including a copy of
Your Application, proof of payment and statement of the odometer reading, on or
before the 30th day from the Signature Date and no claims have been filed under
this Agreement, the Selling Dealer will cancel this Agreement and refund the
purchase price You paid for this Agreement, minus a $75 processing fee for each
plan cancelled.
(2) If the Selling Dealer receives a written cancellation request, including a copy of
Your Application, proof of payment and statement of the odometer reading, after
the 30th day or a claim has been filed at any time during the term of this
Agreement from the Signature Date the Selling Dealer will divide the purchase
price You paid for the Agreement by the number of miles or months of coverage
provided by this Agreement, whichever is greater. The Selling Dealer will multiply
this dollar amount by the remaining unused miles or months, whichever is less,
and refund this amount ("Pro Rata basis") to You or Your lender, minus a $75
processing fee for each plan cancelled.
(3) If the Selling Dealer is no longer in business, then You may submit a written
request to Us at the address referenced in 11A.
(4) You may not cancel the options You purchased without canceling the entire
Agreement. If this Agreement expires under the time or mileage limitations, You
are not entitled to a refund. If we provided this Agreement to You at no cost, You
are not entitled to a refund.
(5) If You have financed this Agreement, (a) any refund due under this Agreement
will be made payable to the lienholder, up to the amount of the lien; and (b) only
that portion of a refund due under this Agreement in excess of the amount of the
lien will be paid to You. If this Agreement was not financed, any refund due under
this Agreement will be paid by check issued in Your name."

FordService

Established Member
I’m sure this can all be escalated for you, 2nd gen. Please PM our FordServiceCA Rep with your VIN, dealer, odometer reading, full name, best daytime number, and a link to this thread as soon as possible.

Deysha

2nd gen

Established Member
Thanks for the info, 2nd gen. I see that you contacted our Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center regarding a warranty claim and the cancellation of your Extended Service Plan. I recommend taking your Mustang to the dealer for any concerns that you may be experiencing. Our Ford-Certified Technicians are in the best position to assist you at this time.

Mariel

hey everyone so after a long time waiting for ford to at least cancell my esp plan this is what i get and apprently they will not cancell it as i am out of 60 days. Can someone please chime in! I would like to get refunded back for my purchase for esp etc as they dont do jack shit anyways and FORD is a joke and just giving me a run around. Called them multiple times and after a long debate, they said yes it can be cancelled by the dealership it was purchased from and when we do that they reply with Denial. I am just getting fed up with such a poor customer service!!! If you aint willing to repair or stand behind your shitty plan at least give me my money back.

Deysha I need this issue escalated.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I know in the us, you can cancel your esp at any time. even if it's a 5 year 100k warranty, and you have 4 years and 10 months and 95k miles, you can still cancel, refund would be almost nothing by that point, but you can still cancel.

Beernuts

Established Member
Thanks for the info, 2nd gen. I see that you contacted our Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center regarding a warranty claim and the cancellation of your Extended Service Plan. I recommend taking your Mustang to the dealer for any concerns that you may be experiencing. Our Ford-Certified Technicians are in the best position to assist you at this time.

Mariel

hey everyone so after a long time waiting for ford to at least cancell my esp plan this is what i get and apprently they will not cancell it as i am out of 60 days. Can someone please chime in! I would like to get refunded back for my purchase for esp etc as they dont do jack shit anyways and FORD is a joke and just giving me a run around. Called them multiple times and after a long debate, they said yes it can be cancelled by the dealership it was purchased from and when we do that they reply with Denial. I am just getting fed up with such a poor customer service!!! If you aint willing to repair or stand behind your shitty plan at least give me my money back.

Deysha I need this issue escalated.

Did you send a written cancellation request? If not, stop calling, read the fine print in the contract, and send a written request with the required documentation via registered mail with return receipt. If they still wont cancel, contact your provincial or territorial consumer affairs office and get them involved. These dealerships will do anything they can to prevent your from cancelling because its pure margin out of their pockets.

Users who are viewing this thread