2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews/Opinions

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Gentlemen, anyone own one of these? We are looking to upgrade to a more sensible/practical vehicle for my girlfriend to drive (currently in a 07 civic si) as we prepare to get married and start a family, and she absolutely loves the new Grand Cherokees. While we were on vacation last week, we test drove a 14' Laredo at a dodge dealership (it was the only one they had on the lot.), and I must say that it wasn't great. It is my understanding that the Laredo is a base package anyway, so I'm not going to judge the Jeep based on that test drive. There was a lot of road noise, and for a v6, a ton of engine noise. It just wasn't a comfortable ride. We would be looking at getting a Limited or an Overland package. We love the upgraded interiors and Uconnect 8.6.

I'm really just looking for some ownership reviews and opinions you might have based on your experiences. Her heart is dead set on one, so I want to make sure we aren't buying a hunk of junk like my 2010 dodge 1500 is lol.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
Bought the wife a 2014 Limited with the ecodiesel last year. She loves the thing. It has all the bells and whistles you could want with the heated/cooled seats, nav, power lift gate etc. Gets about 30mpg on the highway and averages 22 or so running around town. I am usually the one to drive on long trips and I find it very comfortable and easy to drive with minimal road noise. Maneuvers like you would expect from a full size suv and breaking is adequate but not exceptional. Overall it has been a very good car for the 17k or so miles that we have had it.

08mojo

Established Member
We have a 2008 that we have been very happy with--zero problems to date (hopefully didn't jinx myself). I spent all summer in a 2014, as a rental for work. I enjoyed the upgrades of the WK2 over our WK1 that I recently purchased an SRT Grand Cherokee.

Grand Cherokees have some of the worst resale value out there--which sucks if you are the original owner, but great if you are buying used. There is not a better bang for your buck in my opinion in the used market.

Other SUV's on the market are way bigger (4 runner, tahoe, durango, etc...) and the one that are similarly sized are FWD--no thanks. This is another point of consideration. For me, I did not want anything bigger than the Grand Cherokee.

The road noise and other driving characteristics you mentioned are not going to improve with an overland or a limited over the laredo--so if that is a concern, you might reconsider. If it wasn't for the SRT, I would have strongly considered a 4runner--those are hard to beat.

LXZ06

My wife and i both have a14 Grand cherokee limited. Mine is the 5.7 with 20in wheels and hers is 3.6 with 18in wheels.
I used to have a 09 4.7 gc and needed more room when the 2nd kid arrived. When the car seat was backwards, there was no room in the passenger seat. The 14 had enough room that even i can fit in the passenger seat at 6ft1 230lbs.
I personally dont feel the overland is worth the upgrade over the limited and the air suspension is just one more thing to go wrong and is not needed, especially for the wife. The limited comes very well equipped. My wife traded her 12 mdx in on hers and has never regretted her decision.
We have had no problems yet but we both got the extended warranty just because better safe than sorry with jeeps.
The differences we see with ours is the 18in wheels ride better and seems to be less road noise due to the tires that come with them. Obviously the 5.7 has good power and the cylinder deactivation wo4kswell onthe highway. I averaged 24mpg going from southern ct to nprthern mass. The v6 does about same highway but round town is high teens. The 8spd helps the v6 stay in the power. Its not great but not a dog. It feels better than my 09 4.7 with 5spd.
Any questions feel free to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread