2014 GT500 Track Pack Oil Change

five.eight

Established Member
I read the GT500 Noob sticky and there seems to be a little confusion on oil capacity in the 5.8L with oil cooler (track package). I just did my first oil change, before reading the above mentioned sticky, and only put 8.5 as my GT500 supplement book says that 8.5 is oil capacity with and without oil cooler. Wass i supposed to put 9.5???? also, I could not figure out why the plastic cover says "remove for oil change" because oil drain bolt and oil filter are accessible without removing the 3 bolts on that plastic cover. I hope that i did not miss something during my first oil change as i have never owned a S/C vehicle before. Please let me know if there is an extra step i need to take when changing my oil in my new car and also if my book is actually correct when it says 8.5 quart oil capacity. Thanks!

USV8PWR

Established Member
I read the GT500 Noob sticky and there seems to be a little confusion on oil capacity in the 5.8L with oil cooler (track package). I just did my first oil change, before reading the above mentioned sticky, and only put 8.5 as my GT500 supplement book says that 8.5 is oil capacity with and without oil cooler. Wass i supposed to put 9.5???? also, I could not figure out why the plastic cover says "remove for oil change" because oil drain bolt and oil filter are accessible without removing the 3 bolts on that plastic cover. I hope that i did not miss something during my first oil change as i have never owned a S/C vehicle before. Please let me know if there is an extra step i need to take when changing my oil in my new car and also if my book is actually correct when it says 8.5 quart oil capacity. Thanks!

I have the track package too. While 8.5 quarts is about all that you will be able to fill back in after an oil change, the car does in fact hold 9.5 quarts with the track package. Apparently the optional oil cooler of the track package holds a bunch of oil in it that will not come out but gets flushed with the next oil change. It's no big deal. Your supplement manual should show 9.5 quarts but again only fill it back up to the line!

Second, that plastic cover on the bottom is for the V6 and/or GT V8 engines which do have their oil filters blocked by the cover. The cover is there to help keep moisture and dirt from getting up into the engine but it does block the filters on the V6 and/or GT V8 models. However, it does not block the filter on the Shelbys so its removal is unneccessary. Which the owner's manual mentioned that!! I think several on here removed it the first time before figuring out it was unneccessary. Have fun!

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I wish there was a easy way to drain the cooler when you do an oil change. I don't like the fact that after I add 8+litres of fresh oil 1 litre of used oil in the cooler will mix in with that.

Vendors, time for a new item to deal with this issue. I would be in for something to make draining the oil cooler easy when doing an oil change.

Tony

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
USV8PWR is correct...

TP cars take 9.5qts, while non-TP cars take 8.5 qts on INITIAL fill. BOTH cars are supposed to take 8.5qts on REFILL, but many owners have found their cars require only ~8qts when they change the oil. All of that said, the safest thing to do is probably to add ~7.5qts before CHECKING to confirm how much more is needed.

There's no need to remove any panels underneath the car to change the oil, in spite of what's printed on one of them.

five.eight

Established Member
thanks for the info guys. i think i might of put too much oil when i put the 8.5 quarts. the oil goes all the way to the top hole on the dip stick. do you all think it will be ok or do i need to drain some out??? I have already driven it about 70 miles. i hope i am not doing any engine damage on my brand new toy :( will an alarm come on if there is too much oil?

Thanks.

Last edited:

TFStang

Established Member
If you let it drain properly, 8.5 quarts should be OK. Some track pack cars are taking 9 on refills. Just keep an eye on the dipstick and add if necessary.

440sprint

Established Member
One qt stays in the TP oil cooler when the oil is drained. Change the filter if necessary, then refill with 8.5 qts , and take notice of the oil level on your dipstick. That level will always be your FULL mark.

There seems to be a variation on the dipstick reading for the FULL level between some TP'd GT500's.

Snoopy49

Established Member
From the 2013 GT500 Owners Manual Supplement.

CHECKING THE ENGINE OIL
Refer to the scheduled maintenance information for the appropriate intervals for checking the engine oil.
1. Make sure the vehicle is on level ground.
2. Turn the engine off and wait 15 minutes for the oil to drain into the oil pan.
3. Set the parking brake and make sure the gearshift is securely latched in first gear.
4. Open the hood. Protect yourself from engine heat
5. Locate and carefully remove the engine oil level dipstick.
6. Wipe the dipstick clean. Insert the dipstick fully, then remove it again.
• If the oil level is between the lower and upper holes, the oil level is acceptable. DO NOT ADD OIL.
• If the oil level is below the lower hole, add enough oil to raise the level within the lower and upper holes.
The maximum oil level is between the upper hash mark and the upper hole. Oil levels above this range may cause engine damage. Some oil must be removed from the engine by an authorized dealer.
7. Put the dipstick back in and make sure it is fully seated.

2013GT500OilDistickMarkings_zps629f0594.gif

Last edited:

verbal

Established Member
On my first oil change 8.5 overfilled it and I had to drain some out. I only drove 5 miles before I noticed it though. The second time I changed it 7.5 put me right in the middle of the hash marks.

440sprint

Established Member
The '13/'14 GT500 w/TP REQUIRES a REFILL of 8.5 qts after a complete oil drain, no matter where the oil level indicates on the dipstick after adding the 8.5 qts of new oil, with or without a filter change. This level is your FULL level never to be exceeded, IMO!

If adding oil between changes, never exceed this level, which is your FULL dipstick mark!

My FULL dipstick mark is slightly above the top dipstick hole. That's where the oil level was when I received my new '13, and returns to when I replace the oil with 8.5 qts.

Last edited:

bossman302

Banned
I wish there was a easy way to drain the cooler when you do an oil change. I don't like the fact that after I add 8+litres of fresh oil 1 litre of used oil in the cooler will mix in with that.

Vendors, time for a new item to deal with this issue. I would be in for something to make draining the oil cooler easy when doing an oil change.

Tony

That is another reason I bought a Base car, with Recaros, I figured the cooler would always have some used oil left in it during oil changes.

Established Member
no matter where the oil level indicates on the dipstick after adding the 8.5 qts of new oil, with or without a filter change.

^^with or without filter? Isn't there at least half a quart (in the filter)by itself?

Last edited:

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Anyone ever notice that the oil level on one side of the dipstick is different than the other side??

It's like that on my car. Let's say the side with the hash marks shows the level to be right on the money but on the other side of the stick the level will actually be lower (like maybe 1/8" or so). Weird.

It's like that also on my Z06.

USV8PWR

Established Member
Anyone ever notice that the oil level on one side of the dipstick is different than the other side??

It's like that on my car. Let's say the side with the hash marks shows the level to be right on the money but on the other side of the stick the level will actually be lower (like maybe 1/8" or so). Weird.

Shoot...that's every dipstick I've ever seen. I've had dipsticks that show the correct amount of oil on the normal side and NOTHING on the back side! I'm sure it has something to do with the placement of the stick in the block. It used to drive me nuts, but now when I change the oil I just look at the correct side of the dipstick.

Kapy

Established Member

Yes, this drives me crazy!

My last oil change I put in almost 8 quarts and I am right at the upper hash mark. Oh wait just checked again now below. Oh wait just checked again and lower. Oh wait just checked again now at Upper hash mark.

Very frustrating. Never had a car do this to me ever.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Make sure you drain the engine oil when it's very hot. I was able to add 9 gts with a fill line in the upper part of the hash marks on the dipstick. TP car...

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Since the drain plug is on the back of the pan lifting the front of the car up higher than the back will let more oil drain out, also let it drain for a while also before putting the drain plug back.

At the dealer level they will never do this and start to put the plug back in once "most" of the oil has drained but letting it drain with the front of the car raised up higher than the back will easily drain another 1/2 quart or more of oil.

I do my own changes and I let the car drain for almost an hour before putting the plug back. I do other stuff while waiting for it to drain.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
The '13/'14 GT500 w/TP REQUIRES a REFILL of 8.5 qts after a complete oil drain, no matter where the oil level indicates on the dipstick after adding the 8.5 qts of new oil, with or without a filter change. This level is your FULL level never to be exceeded, IMO!

If adding oil between changes, never exceed this level, which is your FULL dipstick mark!

My FULL dipstick mark is slightly above the top dipstick hole. That's where the oil level was when I received my new '13, and returns to when I replace the oil with 8.5 qts.
I respectfully disagree. Just because a car may have been overfilled at some point, including during assembly, doesn't make me want to continue doing it. As pointed out by Snoopy, the Owner's Manual says nothing about individually varying oil levels in our cars. I realize dipsticks aren't the most precise tools available, but I'll stick with keeping the oil level "between the lower and upper holes". Too much oil can cause excess blow-by and "may cause engine damage."

Make sure you drain the engine oil when it's very hot.
+1. This is great advice though, even following it, I have yet to get more than 8.5qts in mine.

Kapy

Established Member
I respectfully disagree. Just because a car may have been overfilled at some point, including during assembly, doesn't make me want to continue doing it. As pointed out by Snoopy, the Owner's Manual says nothing about individually varying oil levels in our cars. I realize dipsticks aren't the most precise tools available, but I'll stick with keeping the oil level "between the lower and upper holes". Too much oil can cause excess blow-by and "may cause engine damage."

+1. This is great advice though, even following it, I have yet to get more than 8.5qts in mine.
Yes to all of this. As long as it is between both lower and upper holes I am good. Wow this is almost the same situation as what my girlfriend asks for.... :lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread