2014 GT500 Purchase questions

Doubt 1T

Established Member
Hey all!

1. I'm pretty close to buying a 2014 GT500 and have some questions regarding it. I had a 2011 GT500 and very high RPM the car wouldn't go into 5th gear. Hard shifting almost 6500 RPMS 1-4 was fine but 5th wasn't having it unless I kept it right under 6000 . I could be wrong but I was reading some articles that they made changes to some parts in TR6060 to make it better. Not sure how true that is but this is my scare if buy this car or it can be the clutch. The owner said he's got on it for sure 1-2 and nothing wrong happened. I cant test this out to verify before I buy it, even when I had the issue on my 2011 the Ford dealership at the time couldn't test for that. Is there way though?

2. Warranty: I'm buying this car privately and I got my local Ford dealership to do the deal for a Fee which the seller is paying for. It has no Warranty as it sits but I can get it, Ford ESP but they want almost 4k for it which I think is really high I know I can negotiate that but its still a steep number. Worth it?

3. Good Buy? 2014 GT500 21K miles Stock, SVTPP, Recaros, Glass roof. 42K Car is mint condition. Being I'm going through the dealer to buy it, it will go through the shop first. The Owner actually prefers to go through the dealer which I agree so no funny business.
Thanks All

raustin0017

Established Member
Welcome to the forum!
1. Yes...13/14 GT500 have a stock issue 1-2 shift at higher RPMs. It has happened to me and almost anyone who drives hard. Fixes are simple and not expensive. Replace stock shifter with MGW Gen 2.

2. Warranty: 100% a coin toss. I have the factory extended but when it expires...not going to replace with another option. Many options out there. Most goods ones are going to cost ya $3-4K. Will it pay off in the long run? Who knows?

3. 21K miles all stock $42K. Sounds like a great deal to me. My 14 is about to turn over 20K miles and would not sell for $60K. She is staying with me until I need a walker to get around.

4. Good luck and go lock down that deal and have a blast!

Doubt 1T

Established Member
Welcome to the forum!
Thanks Raustin!!

1. Yes...13/14 GT500 have a stock issue 1-2 shift at higher RPMs. It has happened to me and almost anyone who drives hard. Fixes are simple and not expensive. Replace stock shifter with MGW Gen 2.

Yeah that's the only thing that gets me nervous lol. Funny part was 1-2 was completely fine, 4-5 was the issue. Is the shifter different from the 2011 to the 2014 by any chance?

2. Warranty: 100% a coin toss. I have the factory extended but when it expires...not going to replace with another option. Many options out there. Most goods ones are going to cost ya $3-4K. Will it pay off in the long run? Who knows?

Yeah I'm going to have to see if they can work with me on that, plus I want GAP to.

3. 21K miles all stock $42K. Sounds like a great deal to me. My 14 is about to turn over 20K miles and would not sell for $60K. She is staying with me until I need a walker to get around.

Haha that's great! Yeah I thought it was but I wanted to ask the community. I'm suppose to pick it up in a couple weeks are we saying to get it now instead???!!!! :)

4. Good luck and go lock down that deal and have a blast!

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
I agree with all raustin stated above. The MGW shifter is a must and you’ll love it. I paid $2,700. for the ford esp warranty plan, but I wish I had spent the money on mods. If you are good to them, these motors are built to run. Seriously durable if you dont hold them at redline. Even with the basic mods. I have almost $21,000 miles and no way I would sale mine right now. Ive put to much in and enjoy it to much.

Doubt 1T

Established Member
I agree with all raustin stated above. The MGW shifter is a must and you’ll love it. I paid $2,700. for the ford esp warranty plan, but I wish I had spent the money on mods. If you are good to them, these motors are built to run. Seriously durable if you dont hold them at redline. Even with the basic mods. I have almost $21,000 miles and no way I would sale mine right now. Ive put to much in and enjoy it to much.

Hey Chancey,

The MGW is on the list. Stupid question for anyone, Being the Stock shifter is broken in with trans would be swapping it now cause any harm or premature wear if i put another shifter in that will change some characteristics. Just wondering. For the warranty, I'm just a little nervous something will happen and its over for me haha.

Another Question i had is should i change all the fluids with stock or not?

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Coming off of an '11 and a '12 previously, MGW Shifter and Amsoil Transmission Fluid (ATF?), I never have had an issue with any shifting. The MGW feels great and not to spongy. Kinda like a good firm boob in your hand.

What color combo is the car your looking at?

I cannot speak for the warranty, as I have never purchased one. I would have to add springs, control arms etc right off the rip, voiding the warranty.

Pete

Last edited:

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
Hey Chancey,

The MGW is on the list. Stupid question for anyone, Being the Stock shifter is broken in with trans would be swapping it now cause any harm or premature wear if i put another shifter in that will change some characteristics. Just wondering. For the warranty, I'm just a little nervous something will happen and its over for me haha.

The MGW gen 2 is just plain marvelous compared to the factory shirter. Do it...
As to the warranty, I purchased it because I was in fear of having an issue with the engine because they are so expensive to rebuild/replace and I was unfamiliar with them (GT500). So you may have the piece of mind to get one and keep it all stock. For me, when I got to know the car, I now feel pretty confident that only a rare fluke or over continual revving situation would cause an engine failure in all probability. And the basic bolt on mods which I have now installed, will void the warranty but they make these babies a real beast! As far as the fluids go, I prefer the motorcraft factory recommendation (full syn 5/50 for the engine). I also use motorcraft coolant fluids. I am about to go with mobile 1 for the tranny fluid. Asking around here will get you many different opinions, so its really preference on fluids. If you go with the warranty of course best use the factory recommendations anyway. I would buy the car your talking about in a heartbeat though if he has documented all maintenance and a mechanic checks it out for you! Sounds like a pretty decent deal.

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
Hey Chancey,

And the MGW will not put extra wear on the tranny, it surely helps it if for no other reason than smoother and more precise shifting.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Everything MGW makes is great - had their shifters on three different cars now. They are like gold-plated, unicorn tear injected, solid steel goodness with a hint of cinnamon sugar.

Doubt 1T

Established Member
When I take the plunge I’ll order it. Doesn’t look to bad to install, I guess you can’t screw it up lol so I’d guess I should change out the fluid, but yea if I do get the warranty I should put back OEM.

Im trying to see if I can get the car sooner now. Dammit haha. would a lot of you agree it’s a good deal?

LuiiSVT13

Established Member
Yeah that’s a good deal got mine recently for $45k with 6k miles but that’s a rarity to get a deal as such.

what color is the GT500?

Kel

Established Member
When I take the plunge I’ll order it. Doesn’t look to bad to install, I guess you can’t screw it up lol so I’d guess I should change out the fluid, but yea if I do get the warranty I should put back OEM.

Im trying to see if I can get the car sooner now. Dammit haha. would a lot of you agree it’s a good deal?

Sounds like a pretty good deal. As the others have said, pick up the MGW 2 (you get a forum discount of 5% or so if you put code SVT or Email them I believe). That, along with a good synthetic when you sub the shifter will make a big difference in the overall "feel/position" of the shifter when engaging - not sloppy like the OEM. Get some pics up too :) Good luck, the hunt is always fun!

Doubt 1T

Established Member
Yeah that’s a good deal got mine recently for $45k with 6k miles but that’s a rarity to get a deal as such.

what color is the GT500?

Thats what i keep hearing and what i thought when i was discussing with the gentleman.

its Black with White stripes

Sounds like a pretty good deal. As the others have said, pick up the MGW 2 (you get a forum discount of 5% or so if you put code SVT or Email them I believe). That, along with a good synthetic when you sub the shifter will make a big difference in the overall "feel/position" of the shifter when engaging - not sloppy like the OEM. Get some pics up too :) Good luck, the hunt is always fun!

Yeah right now i dont think ill get the warranty because how steep of the price. I do feel i should change out all the fluids as soon as i get the car. I just dont want to upset the Transmission Syncros being its worn in already with the stock shifter. unless that dont make sense but i think you guys know what i mean. When i fianly take delivery ill post. I guess theres not much to look for huh? or make the Techs aware of to look for when they have the car.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Thats what i keep hearing and what i thought when i was discussing with the gentleman.

its Black with White stripes

Yeah right now i dont think ill get the warranty because how steep of the price. I do feel i should change out all the fluids as soon as i get the car. I just dont want to upset the Transmission Syncros being its worn in already with the stock shifter. unless that dont make sense but i think you guys know what i mean. When i fianly take delivery ill post. I guess theres not much to look for huh? or make the Techs aware of to look for when they have the car.

has the airbag recall been complied with? If your looking for something, that could be addressed

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Can't imagine being concerned with a 5th gear high-speed shift. Going full speed in 4th is flying, not sure what speed that would be. MGW is always an improvement. I am running Mobil 1 Synthetic in the tranny and stock shifter and fine but I don't go out speed shifting and racing. I would skip the warranty for that much. And the price sounds good for the mileage and glass roof.

Tom

fearthesnake

Established Member
Can't imagine being concerned with a 5th gear high-speed shift. Going full speed in 4th is flying, not sure what speed that would be. MGW is always an improvement. I am running Mobil 1 Synthetic in the tranny and stock shifter and fine but I don't go out speed shifting and racing. I would skip the warranty for that much. And the price sounds good for the mileage and glass roof.

Tom
Agree.

The 14 is geared much different than the 11 model year. If you plan on shifting in 5th gear at WOT with the 331 Gear ratio, you are in excess of 150+mph.

Are you planning on running 1 mile events?

There is no 5th gear issue in these cars.

Seems like a very good price for this car.

Doubt 1T

Established Member
Driver AND Passenger IIRC

I checked the Carfax i just got today and I dont see any recalls being done but i did go on NHTSA.gov and didnt see open ones for the car either. So i guess its been done?

Agree.

The 14 is geared much different than the 11 model year. If you plan on shifting in 5th gear at WOT with the 331 Gear ratio, you are in excess of 150+mph.

Are you planning on running 1 mile events?

There is no 5th gear issue in these cars.

Seems like a very good price for this car.

Yeah my 11" had 3:73. 5th was 140ish i think. So the only issue with the trans is the 1-2 gear. So running different fluid in the Trans would help and for sure the MGW. I took my GT500 to Pocono Raceway for Track days. Id assume this would be better then my 11.

Canson

Established Member
I have -12 and with original trans fluid and standard shifter I had definitely problem with 4-5 shift in high rpm. I forced it two times to 5 , and that was a bad idea.

Got problem later on with R shift sometimes.

Talked with my mechanic when they did service and he knew what problems were caused , they had to rebuild my trans and change some parts. I don't know exactly what. It cost almost 5000$ here in Sweden. Luckily my insurance took care of it. So I payed only like 300$.

Now after trans rebuild and Amsoil trans fluid(also tried Mobil 1) and MGW gen2 shifter its shifting so smooth and perfect. No issues at all.
This mod made my car so much more fun to drive and enjoy it.

But unfortunately still haven't tried high rpm 4-5 shift because I am scared that I will damage my trans again

Skickat från min SM-N975F via Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread