2014 GT500 noise

Cobrasb2003

SVT RIDER
Established Member
so for starters, i own a 14 GT500 svtpp track package bought car with 18k miles now at 20k miles bone stock when purchased. Only mods are corsa sport axle backs and JLT cf resonator delete.

I dont drive car too often mainly sits during the week. Its a weekend car. (Yes i should drive it more) anyhow i noticed a weird noise recently when driving. Whenever i let off the gas in lower gears (1st, 2nd, 3rd gear etc) i hear a whining/humming sound coming from the front of the transmission, im guessing maybe a bad throw out bearing? Or possibly the clutch is taking a crap? Find it hard to believe its the clutch if it has low miles and not abused. Posting a link below of the video i took, starts at about 15 seconds into the video, if anyone has any input, its very much appreciated.

Thankyou

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
In my opinion that sounds internal to the trans. My 2011 trans is BEAT UP inside, bearings are shot. Doesnt sound like that in decel in any gear.

4th gear should be direct drive where the input shaft and mainshaft are locked together. Countershaft is still rotating and gears 1-3 are idling. Does it do it then as well?

Does the pitch of the whine change with different gears?

Could it possibly be coming from your rear end?

Snoopy49

Established Member
The only time the throw out bearing comes into play is when you depress the clutch pedal. If the bearing is bad it will make noise at this time. With your foot off the pedal, the TOB does not come into contact with the pressure plates and does not turn.

mnewxcv

Established Member
at 0:27, seems like the noise was still there after you clutched in and shifted to 1st. Can you confirm the noise is present when decelerating with the clutch in?

Cobrasb2003

SVT RIDER
Established Member
In my opinion that sounds internal to the trans. My 2011 trans is BEAT UP inside, bearings are shot. Doesnt sound like that in decel in any gear.

4th gear should be direct drive where the input shaft and mainshaft are locked together. Countershaft is still rotating and gears 1-3 are idling. Does it do it then as well?

Does the pitch of the whine change with different gears?

Could it possibly be coming from your rear end?

To your first question, no it doesnt do it when idling. For example if im in gear and throw it into neutral and let it coast it doesnt do it. So only when the clutch is engaged. & the rear end does make a little bit of noise, but nothing im not use to that other mustangs of mine havent made

Cobrasb2003

SVT RIDER
Established Member
at 0:27, seems like the noise was still there after you clutched in and shifted to 1st. Can you confirm the noise is present when decelerating with the clutch in?

I see what you mean, when i shifted back to first i was tapping the brake and (it seems slow in the video but shifted to first before it could set back to normal, im guessing thats why you still heard it)

It doesnt do it when im in 6th and let of nor 5th nor 4th mainly the lower gears..

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Sounds like an issue with the countershaft or gears 1-3 when they are idling.

By idling, I mean they are free spinning when the transmission is engaged in another gear. each gear, except for fourth, is called a speed-idler gear.

Cobrasb2003

SVT RIDER
Established Member
Sounds like an issue with the countershaft or gears 1-3 when they are idling.

By idling, I mean they are free spinning when the transmission is engaged in another gear. each gear, except for fourth, is called a speed-idler gear.

Ahh okay, i see what you mean. Luckily the car still has the 60k miles/5 year powertrain warranty. Im guessing you guys reccomend just taking it in?

Users who are viewing this thread