2014 GT LCA Torque Box Bolt Hole Ovaled

lsxjunkie

Established Member
2014 Mustang GT, 86,000 miles.

About a year ago I started to feel the rear of the car steer under braking. I swapped out my rear LCAs for J&M tubular LCAs with the rotoball rubber/poly bushings.

When I went to remove the OEM LCAs driver's side body end bushing crush tube was seized to the lca bolt. I ended up destroying the bushing before limping the car to a dealership to have the old bolt cut out. I fear they may have damaged the torque box then, but I didn't have any trouble all year with the J&M LCAs, so i put it out of my mind.

This past Friday i start getting a good clunk under hard braking and in reverse from the same torque box, along with the same rear steer sensation. I get the car on a lift today and it turns out the inner bolt hole has ovaled and the bolt is moving around under power and braking.

The shop said I can weld in a plate and drill a new hole. I have concerns about proper alignment if I do this.

I see that Lakewood Engineering sells a torque box brace which you weld in and bolt through. Is this a viable alternative or would they not be strong enough to bear the longitudinal loads?

fb392477445ec1084b45a7c426752e83--for-mustang-braces.jpg

IMG_8418.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread