2014 Custom Hood and Bellhousing Mods! Sic

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Does anyone know what the red thing is at the top left of the bellhousing pic?

016_zps9ed237ce.jpg

IMG_7892_zps2521fd7f.jpg

Last edited:

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Folks are talking abuse. So what would one have to do to cause this to happen. Seems like you really would have to go out of your way. Cant be a simple clutch drop can it??????

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
This goes beyond abuse and the fact the dealer told him to pound sand, I would be raising holy hell

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Why is everyone speculating abuse?
Ive watched the videos put out on youtube and car magazines
beating these cars up. If thats not abuse, what is?

ryan319

Established Member
the owner/driver is lucky his feet are still attached.

one of the last posts on that thread said that the dealer was going to warranty it.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
what happened to the hood? I'm guessing some part of the clutch/bellhousing flew up through the engine bay?

PeteDinMA

Established Member
According to the thread, the car had less than 400 miles on it when the carnage occurred.
One thing I have noticed is that most failures on brand new vehicles usually happen within the first 1000 miles when it is some sort of factory defect. I am not saying that is this case here. I can not tell from the picture what let go so I can only speculate. Clutch or pressure plate or flywheel and or assembly was defective . Something may not have been torqued correctly at Flat Rock. I would figure some strange noises being the birth pangs of the failure then and shutting it down before the carnage. What does anyone think of possibly driver error with that being a down shift over rev snafu? Something like going from 5th to 2nd by mistake? The suspense of the finding out the root cause analysis is killing me. I hope that thread is updated soon so we will all know.

Last edited:

PeteDinMA

Established Member
Yea great that the MOCo. is supposedly fixing it but to me the big thing is was this an anomaly (plant screw up ) or are there defect parts on the road that could kill or disfigure someone...

Last edited:

Bad Company

Established Member
According to the thread, the car had less than 400 miles on it when the carnage occurred.
One thing I have noticed is that most failures on brand new vehicles usually happen within the first 1000 miles when it is some sort of factory defect. I am not saying that is this case here. I can not tell from the picture what let go so I can only speculate. Clutch or pressure plate or flywheel and or assembly was defective . Something may not have been torqued correctly at Flat Rock. I would figure some strange noises being the birth pangs of the failure then and shutting it down before the carnage. What does anyone think of possibly driver error with that being a down shift over rev snafu? Something like going from 5th to 2nd by mistake? The suspense of the finding out the root cause analysis is killing me. I hope that thread is updated soon so we will all know.
I would think a wrong downshift would have grenaded the motor before the clutch explosion would have occurred. 8000 or 9000RPM would have floated the valves in a stock engine with a misplaced downshift. The clutch has a stamped steel cover for the pressure plate. From the picture you can still see pieces of it still attached to the flywheel, so I'd bet either on a drive disc or intermediate plate failure

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Yea great that the MOCo. is supposedly fixing it but to me the big thing is was this an anomaly (plant screw up ) or are there defect parts on the road that could kill or disfigure someone...

Considering this is the first of this type carnage we're seeing. I'm leaning towards a miscue from assembly or production. Possibly from the flywheel....

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
It's the pressure plate surface that failed (the cast friction surface, not the stamped steel structure). The intermediate plate, and flywheel appear to be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread