2014 cam/rocker cover paint blistering and peeling after 5,000 miles

brianz426

Established Member
Back in November while changing my oil and preparing my car for winter storage I noticed the blue crinkle paint on the passenger rocker cover beginning to blister. See phone pics below, one is slightly off color due to lighting. It's only happening on front of the passenger side cover. Driver side is still perfect. I've never used any chemicals or cleaners in my engine compartment. The blisters were hard and when pushed the paint cracked and fell off (see one broken blister with bare aluminum showing underneath). Has anyone else noticed this on their car? If so what did you do to correct?

I doubt they will give me a new cover under warranty. If they did I would gladly change it out myself. I really don't want a dealer tech working on my car for something like this. Does anyone know if this paint is available? If it wasn't right out in front I wouldn't worry about it. As you all know, people want to see these engines all the time. This doesn't look good. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

IMG_1949_zps5ac92dfb.jpg

IMG_1948_zpsb324cf3b.jpg

IMG_1950_zps76329374.jpg

IMG_1946_zps2707e739.jpg

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I haven't seen this, look to be a bad process. I'd speak with your dealer, perhaps they would order you another cover and wait for you to return this one.

Bravo gt 500

TVS POWERED
Established Member
Someone on svtp had the same problem & dealer replaced under warranty but scrapped the new valve cover when they were installing. It was on a 13-14 gt500 also

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
Back in November while changing my oil and preparing my car for winter storage I noticed the blue crinkle paint on the passenger rocker cover beginning to blister. See phone pics below, one is slightly off color due to lighting. It's only happening on front of the passenger side cover. Driver side is still perfect. I've never used any chemicals or cleaners in my engine compartment. The blisters were hard and when pushed the paint cracked and fell off (see one broken blister with bare aluminum showing underneath). Has anyone else noticed this on their car? If so what did you do to correct?

I doubt they will give me a new cover under warranty. If they did I would gladly change it out myself. I really don't want a dealer tech working on my car for something like this. Does anyone know if this paint is available? If it wasn't right out in front I wouldn't worry about it. As you all know, people want to see these engines all the time. This doesn't look good. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
I also recommend you address this paint concern with your dealer, brianz426. Also, let me escalate this to the customer service manager for your area. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Good luck, should be an easy dealer fix.
Have you used any engine cleaning solvents?
Outside of that, likely just a manufacturing defect that does not appear common luckily.
-J

brianz426

Established Member
I also recommend you address this paint concern with your dealer, brianz426. Also, let me escalate this to the customer service manager for your area. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

Thank you very much Deysha. PM sent with all requested info.

brianz426

Established Member
I know it's been 5+ months but I wanted to update everyone and let them know that the dealer replaced my cam/rocker cover under warranty this past Friday. A bad winter kept my car inside until mid April. Then a lot of traveling during May made it hard for me to get to the dealer. They held the cover for me until I was ready. I dropped the car off in the early afternoon and they gave me a car for a couple hours until they were done. Everything went perfect. Thanks to Deysha for getting involved and making the process super easy.

Teddy O

Established Member
That's awesome! Thank you for the update. It seems like people only vent about their negative dealer experiences, and you don't hear about the good ones. I recently had a great Ford dealer experience myself. Glad to hear it went so well!

Last edited:

FordService

Established Member
I know it's been 5+ months but I wanted to update everyone and let them know that the dealer replaced my cam/rocker cover under warranty this past Friday. A bad winter kept my car inside until mid April. Then a lot of traveling during May made it hard for me to get to the dealer. They held the cover for me until I was ready. I dropped the car off in the early afternoon and they gave me a car for a couple hours until they were done. Everything went perfect. Thanks to Deysha for getting involved and making the process super easy.
That’s great, brianz426! You’re very welcome!

I have the same problem with mine. Didn't think it was a warranty issue. I guess I'll bring it in one day for them to fix it.
I recommend you bring it in to your dealer sooner than later, DJSCIASCIA. Be sure you speak with your service manager if needed. He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha

SnakeDreamer

Established Member
Deysha,
I have the same bubbling problem on the right front portion of my valve cover as well. It is a 2013 with very low miles and i am the original owner. I have an appointment made with the dealer in town tomorrow. Do I need to P.M. you with my information just in case.

Thanks for any assistance.

Chris

FordService

Established Member
Deysha,
I have the same bubbling problem on the right front portion of my valve cover as well. It is a 2013 with very low miles and i am the original owner. I have an appointment made with the dealer in town tomorrow. Do I need to P.M. you with my information just in case.

Thanks for any assistance.

Chris
Let me know what your dealer says today, SnakeDreamer. You’re welcome to PM me with your info so I can escalate it if needed.

Deysha

SnakeDreamer

Established Member
Deysha,
I went to the Dealer today. They were not quite sure if it would be covered or not. They took pictures and said they would send them to Dearborn for a decision and get back to me. I tried to PM you but its saying your PM quota has exceeded the limit.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread