2013 vs 2011/2012

Ricknasty.com

What's up guys? I figured what better way to end my 29th bday than to drool over some GT500s!

Like everyone, the 2013 hype has pulled me in; however, the $60,000+ price and wait is a little excessive for me right now. I've see some 2011/2012s in the low $40k's and could probably get one soon. I'd like to hear hands on experience driving the older vs 2013. Do you think it's worth waiting a year and paying $15k+ more? This is assuming the 2011/2012s will be around 40k and the 2013 will be around 55k in 6mos to a year.

I've had a bolt-on modded 90 Lx 5.0 and loved it. I owned a 96 SS camaro for 12 years and sold it this year to pay for some baby food and diapers :). I was looking at used Z06s, but want the additional seat for road trips with the family. The car will most likely be a daily driver, taken to the drag strip once a month, and maybe a yearly road course.

Thanks for the insight!

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Well, you posted in the 2013 section, so you will probably get some slightly biased answers lol, but if money is not an issue, then I would definitely say a 2013.

You will hear some say get a 2011/12 and mod it or swap blowers and you can have the 2013's power, and while that is true, I've said it quite a number of times on this forum, the additional HP is not the only thing that is different with the 2013s.

There are so many improvements over the 11/12 year, that again, IMO if you can afford it, go with a 2013. However, if it's too tight of a budget, I don't think you would be disappointed with a left over 12. They are awesome cars too!

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Depends on how deep your pockets are and how much modding you plan to do. If you like the front/rear of the 13 which is the biggest difference appearance wise and don't plan on modding than get the 13. If your planning on a bunch of mods and can use the extra money for mods then go the used route. The 13 is a beast but all this talk of the "upgrades" is irrelevant to me. What's going to matter most is who will see tail lights in a random straight line pull and no it won't be going to anywhere near 200.

When I was in the market I bought my 11 new for the warranty keeping it stock, yada, yada. Knowing what I do now if I did it over again I might have got a 10 with low miles and had a bunch of mod money rather than doing it slowly over time. I don't think you will regret your decision either way. I'm not letting my 11 go for anything even with all the buzz around the new model and rightfully so, it's making more power than I expected out of the gate.

h34d

Back In The Saddle
Established Member
This reminds me of a conversation with a friend of mine shortly after I bought my '11 5.0. He stated that he could get a '10 4.6 and throw a blower on it and be out the same amount of cash with the same (or slightly better) straight-line performance. That just doesn't make sense to me, he would then be out of a drivetrain warranty, owing money on a car that has boost in it and could pop at any time. It's just not worth it, he would be spending the same amount of money for equal performance but less piece-of-mind and resale value.

In the end, he bought a brembo package 5.0.

What you're talking about is similar but one major difference is Launch Control. That can't be realistically duplicated with an '11/'12 Shelby. With you talking about a monthly trip to the drag strip I would call it the deciding factor in favor of the '13. Sure, you can have equal power for $6000 or so on top of the older models' cheaper price but it will still be difficult to launch consistently, even more so with the added power.

The quick version:
1. Consistent performance - '13
2. More power with an intact warranty - '13
3. Improved technology all around - '13
4. Looks (subjective, but IMO) - '13
5. Cheaper initial price - '11/'12
I may be missing some but I think I've made my point.

Now that I've given you the answer you should have expected by posting this in the 2013 section, good luck with your search and enjoy whatever car you end up buying. I wouldn't be ashamed to drive either to the local cruise-in. :beer:

speedi1098

Established Member
This September will be 3 years since I took delivery of my 2010 GT500. At the time of delivery Ford offer a dealer installed upgraded blower for 6g's which gave you an extra 100 hp and didn't void the warranty. Three years later, for 5g's more over my 2010 base price I'm getting an extra 122 hp plus a car thats a complete performance package to handle that power, from radiator to exhaust tips. Plus the avaliablity of more options(SVTPP,trakpak,Recaros...). It will always comes down to what you can afford and how much value you see in something. Maybe for the difference in what I'm going to pay for my 2013 and what my 2010 is worth I could make some serious mod's, but you can't beat a factory engineered vehicle for day to day drivablity

Ricknasty.com

Thanks for the replies guys! Money is the main constraint for me so it's either buy now or save money for a down payment in a year. My fastest car was the 96 camaro so I think the 550hp GTs would suffice. Drag times would be purely fun for me. I would be mainly focused on driver mods vs. performance at 550hp, the warranty is a big plus too. I've read a few articles about the 2013 'feeling' too tame. That is what I don't want. If the prior models with 373 gears will put a bigger smile on my face than some more power that you don't notice, the extra power is useless for what I'm looking for.

Ultimately, it's the cheapest, fastest 4-seater I can have the most FUN in daily driving and weekend tripping with the family! (I found a 2012 in the low 40s that may be worth checking out)

Thanks for the help.

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
If you are keeping things stock and like a warranty......get the 2013. If you are going to mod and trash the warranty, go for the older model.

Cant go wrong either way. The early model GT500's are bad ass as well.

jtfx6552

Established Member
The "new car" vs an "old car + Mods" argument has been going on since time Time immemorial. I don't think there is an answer as to what is better, it depends on the cars and goals involved.

Having said that, a stripped non PP '13 still has a lot of mods that would be hard to duplicate. That is I would try to do if money was tight. Heck, I thought of going that route for better drag performance.

Ricknasty.com

My friend is on me about the whole 'buy a used gt and put the difference in mods' kick. No resale, warranty, and most likely no time. I'd rather buy and be done.

Have you guys driven a 2011/12 and a 13 back to back? Or can compare them directly?

Is the 13 going to be ~$15k more fun? I think I just answered my own question! Time to start hunting for cheap 2012s :)

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Things you can't get/upgrade on a 2011 or 2012 that a 2013 has.....

1. Computer Display in the instrument cluster
2. Electronic suspension offered in the SVT performance package

The rest of it, you can do.

1. Transmission swap (gear changes were made)
2. TVS upgrade
3. Body parts
4. Driveshaft upgrades

etc....

Honestly, I'd rather have the 2013, but a previous year model build can be much more economical.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
We'll see, hopefully soon.;-)

In the meantime, how about a plug and play LC system that integrates into any '07-'12 that really works?

mmfp-1202-2013-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-rocket-launcher-021.jpg

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
This reminds me of a conversation with a friend of mine shortly after I bought my '11 5.0. He stated that he could get a '10 4.6 and throw a blower on it and be out the same amount of cash with the same (or slightly better) straight-line performance. That just doesn't make sense to me, he would then be out of a drivetrain warranty, owing money on a car that has boost in it and could pop at any time. It's just not worth it, he would be spending the same amount of money for equal performance but less piece-of-mind and resale value.

In the end, he bought a brembo package 5.0.

What you're talking about is similar but one major difference is Launch Control. That can't be realistically duplicated with an '11/'12 Shelby. With you talking about a monthly trip to the drag strip I would call it the deciding factor in favor of the '13. Sure, you can have equal power for $6000 or so on top of the older models' cheaper price but it will still be difficult to launch consistently, even more so with the added power.

The quick version:
1. Consistent performance - '13
2. More power with an intact warranty - '13
3. Improved technology all around - '13
4. Looks (subjective, but IMO) - '13
5. Cheaper initial price - '11/'12
I may be missing some but I think I've made my point.

Now that I've given you the answer you should have expected by posting this in the 2013 section, good luck with your search and enjoy whatever car you end up buying. I wouldn't be ashamed to drive either to the local cruise-in. :beer:

I agree with your quick version points but the 10GT to 11GT comparison in relation to the older shelbys to the new 13 doesn't make any sense. I've heard other guys makes this same comparison and it isn't comparable. If you have an older shelby do the VMP TVS swap for 3500 your making more power than a stock 13 and it's pretty safe for the motor hp wise. Now take a 10GT and it's going to take a lot more than 3500 for a blower add on and unless your building the motor with it which is another huge expense that thing is a ticking time bomb. There's my two cents.

Last edited:

h34d

Back In The Saddle
Established Member
I agree with your quick version points but the 10GT to 11GT comparison in relation to the older shelbys to the new 13 doesn't make any sense. I've heard other guys makes this same comparison and it isn't comparable. If you have an older shelby do the VMP TVS swap for 3500 your making more power than a stock 13 and it's pretty safe for the motor hp wise. Now take a 10GT and it's going to take a lot more than 3500 for a blower add on and unless your building the motor with it which is another huge expense that thing is a ticking time bomb. There's my two cents.

Good points. :beer:

I'm not that educated on the shelby side of things so I looked up VMP's 2.3 swap on their site. It says the swap will yield about 680 rwhp on the high side. Let's assume that's the end before fuel upgrades have to take place. Speculation has '13s with a simple tune nearly at that point. Say he gets a base '13. That's 54,995 + ~500 for tune = 55,495 vs ~42,000 + ~3,500 = 45,500 (excluding labor). Realistically you could have the '13 @ ~725 rwhp for ~60,000 after a full exhaust, etc.

For the '11/'12, is the cooling system up to snuff at that point? What about the stock clutch? Fuel system? I'm not asking this as if I know, I don't. I'm just looking to learn.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Good points. :beer:

I'm not that educated on the shelby side of things so I looked up VMP's 2.3 swap on their site. It says the swap will yield about 680 rwhp on the high side. Let's assume that's the end before fuel upgrades have to take place. Speculation has '13s with a simple tune nearly at that point. Say he gets a base '13. That's 54,995 + ~500 for tune = 55,495 vs ~42,000 + ~3,500 = 45,500 (excluding labor). Realistically you could have the '13 @ ~725 rwhp for ~60,000 after a full exhaust, etc.

For the '11/'12, is the cooling system up to snuff at that point? What about the stock clutch? Fuel system? I'm not asking this as if I know, I don't. I'm just looking to learn.

The 13 is so new it's anybodys guess but I don't see them hitting 725whp with a tune exhaust. Maybe with the bolt-ons high 600s IMO but I thought we were comparing what it would take an older model to beat the stock newer model. If we are comparing full bolt-on TVS vs TVS I would think the 5.8 will make a bit more power but then we have thrown the big warranty arguement out the window on the new model.

With the older shelbys everbody usually upgrades to a dual fan HE for about 800 and most do the install themselves, clutch and fuel system are adequate with a TVS upgrade.

h34d

Back In The Saddle
Established Member
The 13 is so new it's anybodys guess but I don't see them hitting 725whp with a tune exhaust. Maybe with the bolt-ons high 600s IMO but I thought we were comparing what it would take an older model to beat the stock newer model. If we are comparing full bolt-on TVS vs TVS I would think the 5.8 will make a bit more power but then we have thrown the big warranty arguement out the window on the new model.

With the older shelbys everbody usually upgrades to a dual fan HE for about 800 and most do the install themselves, clutch and fuel system are adequate with a TVS upgrade.

Sounds logical.

So, to oversimplify: for 46k-47k the OP has a driver's race with a '13 and for about 50k he'll be handing them their ass. Though minus a warranty it'll still be pretty reliable but without all the tech improvements.

That sounds like his answer.

Users who are viewing this thread