2013 Shelby GT500 O/R H-Pipe fit a 2007 Shelby GT500?

Boostedtres

Established Member
Alright guys/gals,

I have been posting a bunch of different exhaust threads trying to figure out what I want to do. Current set up is 3inch JBA catted X-pipe and 3 inch JBA CBE. Hate it; too quiet, too much drone, sounds like a hybrid.

My bro-in-law has a 2013 Shelby. He has a spare o/r H-pipe (3 inches) that I can have for basically free. Does anyone know or has tried mating a 2013 pipe on an 07 GT500? This would be easy, cheap, and good sound. But not sure the different dimensions for the cars. I have seen 2007 parts on a 2013, but not the other way around. Anyone done it? Even if minor fab work is required, I have access to a lift and welder.

My ideal set up is a 2.5 inch o/r H-pipe and Roush Extreme CBE. But this would require ditching the expensive cats, dropping pipe size, and getting all new ones, so pricey. But thats the sound im looking for.

Been thinking about custom muffler delete, but thats around 500 as is and might sound raspy. Not going to buy another 3 inch CBE since expensive and similar sound.

Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Boostedtres

Established Member
I thought the 2013 Lethal O/R H pipe was 3 inches? I know OEM is 2.75. I am more concerned with will the pipe mate to the other pipes (all 3 inches) and fit mounting locations etc even if a little fab work is needed.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I thought the 2013 Lethal O/R H pipe was 3 inches? I know OEM is 2.75. I am more concerned with will the pipe mate to the other pipes (all 3 inches) and fit mounting locations etc even if a little fab work is needed.

If it is JBA from Lethal, they list four 2013/14 JBA mid-pipe options, 2-X and 2-H with cats or without (off-road) and all are 3" according to their site.

The only thing that I know of that may be different is that 2007 (some or all) had mid-pipe hangers at the transmission cross member, 2008-up did not, but some after market pipe vendors include these hangers on all of their mid-pipes.

If you have a mid-pipe with hangers, but nowhere to attach those hangers to your car (2008-up), the 2007 cross member is (or was) available from Ford for approx. $100 a couple of years ago.

R

Last edited:

Boostedtres

Established Member
Robert -- yep, JBA from Lethal.

Sounds like it will fit, just may need to adapt or fab up some hangers.

Thank you very much for the detailed information, it is greatly appreciated, sir!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
You're welcome.

I changed out my original 2008 oem 2.5" (with Borla catback) to a full mandrel bent JBA 3" system. With the added weight of the 3" and the JBA already having the hangers welded to the mid-pipe, I thought it was foolish to hang all of that additional 3" exhaust weight under my car and not spend the additional $100 or so for the 2007 transmission cross member that has the hangers for additional support in the mid area of the exhaust. The JBA mid slipped into the cross member exhaust mounts (right and left) and the 3" tucks nicely because it is supported in 3 locations under the car instead of only at the front and wayyyyyy back at the mufflers.

R

Boostedtres

Established Member
That is all very great information and advice. thank you very much for the response. the 3 inch does tuck nicely. I just spent two hours on a lift with a buddy with every tool imaginable. from impact gun, to welder, to sockets, to mallets...got the passenger side muffler off in ten minutes. and the drivers side just would NOT come off. no tack welds, no nothing. finally got so frustrated we called it off. super bummed i wanted to here it without mufflers....now I got to re-think options and approach.

anyway, enough venting. great insight with the cross member mounts. once my frustration settles I will take another shot at it. man these exhausts are a PITA, without a lift must make it 10x worse.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Go get some PB Blaster at the auto store and SOAK everything. Whack with a mallet at the flange a few times and try again.

Might need a torch to break the rust free between the nut and bolt.

Boostedtres

Established Member
lexus ^^ thanks for the input. I tried exactly that. soaked it in PB blaster. Let it sock in. No luck. Used a torch to break the rust. No go. Used a mallet and a flat heat to break up old rus, and could fit the tip of the screw driver all around the pipe. Still wouldnt break loose. After two hours, gave up. I got a bad shoulder so I wasnt as much help as I wanted to be, but even my friend couldnt get it off (very serious GTS4 NASA race; we have pulled cleaned, and reinstalled motors with less headache).

the only option I can see now is to cut lines in the pipe to line it up, cut in off, pull the whole mid pipe, figre a way to do it off the car. That or tack weld a flange to use a mallet on for more leverage/turning. I am open to any suggestions, very frustrated....

Islandcat

Established Member
This might not help or even work , but did you try to disconnect the over axle pipe from the midpipe first? It might help you get better leverage or more room. Hell you may be able remove both at same time and pull it out. I remember fooling with my muffler a couple times and I think I had to remove that connection first then I was able to get after separating the muffler from over axle pipe. Just a thought like I said may not help at all

Islandcat

Established Member
Oh and I know pb blaster is good but my go to is kroil. That stuff works and what most offshore oil crews use

Boostedtres

Established Member
islandCat -- thanks for the advice. I will check that spray out, never heard of it. the PB blaster didnt help at all.

Disconnected the slip flits on the mid pipe to get more leverage, and still wouldnt even budge. Not an inch. I tried to pull the entire pipe up over the axle and then separate off the car, but couldnt adjust the pipe to get it out the back. Looks like it will be easier to pull it to the front of the car with some patience and a second set of hand.

I have a bad shoulder so I can only use one arm, which didnt help even with a friend assisting. I will try that spray you recommend, more PB blast, and another mallet. if that doesnt work, its getting cut off.

there was one tack weld, grinded that off no problem, but feels like it is literally still welded to the pipe (no visual welds anywhere else on the pipe). it was that hard to move. Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming. My frustration level is high. I was able to install my custom 3.5 turbo back and DP no problem, this just seems ridiculous. Hate to cute and reweld a perfectly good pipe. But not im determined.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
islandCat -- thanks for the advice. I will check that spray out, never heard of it. the PB blaster didnt help at all.

Disconnected the slip flits on the mid pipe to get more leverage, and still wouldnt even budge. Not an inch. I tried to pull the entire pipe up over the axle and then separate off the car, but couldnt adjust the pipe to get it out the back. Looks like it will be easier to pull it to the front of the car with some patience and a second set of hand.

I have a bad shoulder so I can only use one arm, which didnt help even with a friend assisting. I will try that spray you recommend, more PB blast, and another mallet. if that doesnt work, its getting cut off.

there was one tack weld, grinded that off no problem, but feels like it is literally still welded to the pipe (no visual welds anywhere else on the pipe). it was that hard to move. Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming. My frustration level is high. I was able to install my custom 3.5 turbo back and DP no problem, this just seems ridiculous. Hate to cute and reweld a perfectly good pipe. But not im determined.

It sounds like the PB is not getting into the slip connection between the pipe and the muffler...........There should be a line-up pin where they slip together on the oem piping for ease of assy. line installation, but no welds unless someone has had an exhaust shop do something in the past?

R

Boostedtres

Established Member
yea, it looked like the previous owner (shop that he went too) added a tack weld on both mufflers for good measure. that wasnt a big deal, a grinder and that was gone. something (probably rust or dirt grime) is keeping from getting PB blaster really in there. Even a torch you could hear the rust burning, but no luck. very frustrating, but such is the nature of cars. hoping continually letting it soak in PB for the next week will make it pop off next weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread