2013 Shelby Gearing Question

SVTKen

Established Member
I apologize if this question has already been asked/answered. I searched the site and couldn't find it.

What are the speeds for each gear assuming you take it all the way to redline in each? I know the gearing is very tall and that 1st gear is good for slightly over 60 mph and that 3rd is good for about 140 mph.

1st = 62 ?
2nd = ?
3rd = 140 ?
4th = ?
5th = ?
6th = ?

Thanks for your help.

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
2013FordGT500SpeedChart.gif

SVTKen

Established Member
Wow! The Shelby with hit 96 mph in 2nd gear, and complete the quarter mile in 3rd. I am looking forward to doing that when I get mine. It looks like you have to shift into third gear right before crossing the 1/4 mi marker, right?

Madlock

Established Member
Wow! The Shelby with hit 96 mph in 2nd gear, and complete the quarter mile in 3rd. I am looking forward to doing that when I get mine. It looks like you have to shift into third gear right before crossing the 1/4 mi marker, right?

There's a lot of sense for some in actually upping the final drive to 3.73 (which is insanely high given the amount of torque) or even 4.10 and dropping first gear altogether, turning a 1/4-mile into a single-shift proposition from 2nd to 3rd.

mike69440

Established Member
3.73's require fourth gear

There's a lot of sense for some in actually upping the final drive to 3.73 (which is insanely high given the amount of torque) or even 4.10 and dropping first gear altogether, turning a 1/4-mile into a single-shift proposition from 2nd to 3rd.

3.73's will need 4th gear at about 110-115 mph if you shift at 6200-6500 rpm.
4.10's give the best gear spacing with a lightly modded car, but if you plan on having the power to trap around 135, then 3.73's work fine and are the best all around gears, considering the car and transmission.

I would not suggest a hard start in any gea but first, due to clutch slippage, expecially with a beast like the 13 GT500. That being said for a lot of putting around driving, my 03 Cobra is used as a 2 speed, 2nd gear start and drop into 6th at about 35 MPH. 60K miles and still on original clutch. I beat on the car a lot less modded that when it was down around 450 RWHP, no more slaming thru the gears, better to slowly roll into the throttle and get a little wheel spin. Funny thing also is there seems to be less wheel hop with more power available.

I would think 3.73's would make everyday moderate driving much more enjoyable in the 13 GT500. I'm not sure a stock 13 GT500 would improve that much more in the 1/4 mile due to the extra shift, but it would "feel" faster.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
No...you'll be getting close to redline in 3rd gear coming through the traps. I have my shift light at 6800 and usually just bump the limiter at 7000 before pressing in the clutch and coasting it out in the shutdown area.
Although strangely, the other night, we had the Vbox in my car to get some 60-130 data and I didn't actually hit 130 on two passes doing this (although according to the chart I should have been around ~134 mph).
S.

mach330

Established Member

Read an article (I believe Octobers MM&FF) today, Evan Smith said a stock GT500 to a stock GT500 with 3.73's was good for .40 seconds.

Madlock

Established Member
It's stuff like this, presented in this context, that could be the difference between some kid sleeping through basic algebra and really taking an interest in learning it - not only just about going quicker or faster, but for ALL the fascinating things being able to have an immediate grasp upon demystifies and empowers a person from square one.

We also sure as hell wouldn't have had however many millions of people in homes and mortgages they couldn't afford blaming somebody else for everything they agreed to without bothering to understand.

It's a shame Ford hasn't yet taken a car like this that makes unreal performance available to so many a rolling classroom example for a whole lot of thing it could ALSO use to turn every kid into a product evangelist from the time he's old enough to learn.

SVTKen

Established Member
I had 373s on my previous SVT Cobra and they really made it a lot more fun to drive, but it did not have nearly the torque of the 2013 Shelby. My opinion is that 373 or 410 gears on the Shelby would not be practical for street use. You would just be back pedaling constantly to maintain control. Throw some slicks or DRs on there and take it to the track, and then it would be beneficial.

Madlock

Established Member
I agree Ken. With SO much torque, it's not just a one-step "go quicker" mod. But even with so much torque, I often drive my '13 back to back with my '12s 3.73s and, if I'm not paying close attention, I still occasionally stall the '13 from a dead stop. The two drive completely differently.

I'm loathe to go changing gearing until AFTER I've made an effort at a 200mph run, but I personally think 3.55s would make for a much friendlier and pleasant-to-drive car.

SVTKen

Established Member
It would be nice if Ford offered optional 355s. They would be a nice compromise between the 373s, which would probably be a real handful on the street, and the standard gears.

Here is an interesting little fact. Back in 1997, I purchased a 1997 SVT Cobra. It had 305 hp and made 300 lb-ft of torque at 4800 RPM, so it was hardly a torque monster. You really had to rev it up to get the torque out of the 4.6L engine. The 373s made a big difference with it, especially after I installed the Procharger.

It's crazy that the new Cobra I will be getting soon has more than double the torque and power of my old Cobra (when it was stock). Even with all the mods on my old Cobra, the 2013 GT500 still has about 200 whp and 200 lb-ft of torque more than it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread